vrs tri sometimes takes longer to start!

Most of the time the car starts first time but now and again the engine takes, what seams ages to start. It feels like the glow plugs have not heated enough. It has been back to the garage twice but they can not find a fault. Anyone had the same issue?

I know it sounds daft, but how are you starting the car? Just flick the key to position III and release, in cold weather the starter will kick in a second or two later once the ECU deems the fuel pressure and glow plugs are right.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I know it sounds daft, but how are you starting the car? Just flick the key to position III and release, in cold weather the starter will kick in a second or two later once the ECU deems the fuel pressure and glow plugs are right.

Does it on my car, once every Blue Moon, starting as above, dealer just brush's it off as there is no fault code generated and next to impossible to demonstrate the fault. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has done it on a few occasions, it went in for its second service a couple of weeks ago but the garage couldn't find the fault or replicate it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have KESSY so you just slap the t****y and wait for something to happen!

Mine does this too, once it felt like it wasn't going to start at all but then made it (just).

Glad I've read this though as I only noticed it after I'd fitted my DTUK tuning box and thought it might be a consequence of that.

I have come across occasions when I have tried to start it too quick and the car has automatically delayed operation of the starter motor until it was ready (as Andy suggested they do). However the delayed start issue is when the car has obviously decided it is ready and appears to operate the starter normally, which then ends up cranking for a few seconds before it fires. I had guessed that there was a sticking non return valve in the fuel system. Normally it does start straightaway. My previous Octavia 3,  MY 13 with the same engine never had this symptom at all.

Saying that though are all the affected cars VRS's? My previous car was an Elegance, I also drive a MY15 Elegance regularly and have not observed the problem on this car either. 

Edited by Leonblue

My 2014 VRS 184 will take 4 or 5 seconds to start for the first time when the engine is cold.  You can hear it trying to turn over and eventually it gets there.

I have become used to giving it a little throttle blip when I turn the key and it then always starts straight away.  As a side, I have the economy tips turned on and it always tells me not to press the throttle when starting the car!   :D

Shawn