canton sound decreases

i got the canton sound system in my car and today i noticed the sound was not as it used to be. i usally have the volume half to the middle when i drive around and that is enough to hear the Music well but today i could hardly hear the Music With that volume setting,had to turn it up to the middle to get the sound as it was before With half to middle.

checked both radio and media all the same. checked the settings on fader and Balance,nothing seme to be changed.

the Music quality is the same just the volume decreases.

anyone experienced this or have a Clue what's going on?

Only logical answer is that if you were streaming music via Bluetooth then the device volume was low. But if you've checked other inputs then it sounds like it needs to be looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that it entirely depends on the track. The bass lacks a lot of midrange punch but can be well OTT with the lower bass tones.

Wonder if it's something thats restricting the sounds like when you reverse for the sensor noise.

it's the same With dab,fm and media (cd's ripped to flac)

i tryed to reset to factory but it is the same.

starting to think it is my brain playing trick's on me.....

if you set the volume to the middle in Your cars can you have a conversation With passengers or would the volume be to high?

Can you change the preference on the canton for 'all seats' or 'driver only' to channel the sound? That may have changed. Also on some stereos, not sure if the canton is one of them but you can have a speed adaption setting where it raises and lowers depending on the speed of the vehicle, could that have changed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

It's a MIB2 Amundsen (June 2016 car)

Like the OP said, you think you're going a bit funny in the head, as most times it's fine and then some days you need to have the volume twice as high as normal.

I have the Canton system, and In my findings the volume in the Canton system is speed-dependent. So when cruising in the city, or just listening the music in a standing car, the volume even at max is not to loud (even if in a stationary car, and if the display shows you that you are at max level, you can turn in louder, just the system will not show it - the bars will stiil show max. just the music will get louder). But when at 130 km/h at half of the volume the level of the sound will double than when stationary.

Anyway the Canton is one of the best speaker system I have ever had in a car,  in my opinion it has a very good mid level, and not too shouty highs, perfectly sounding at the ear-level, creating a very good soundstage.  

I know what you mean - you could imagine that it's the speed dependant system that is behaving erratically.

I guess I could try turning off the speed dependant setting and see if it behaves more consistently.

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I have the same problem. It will randomly go quiet one day, them the next day it's fine again. I can't find any pattern to it.

Did not figure this out. Has been like this since i posted the topic. Some days normal and some days it needs to be crancked up to get same volume.

Annoying.

Edited by bytterga

Hi All

I have issue with volumes being the same from medium to high for mu columbus for everything, ipod, bluetooth, radio. only when i reset the unit holding the power button down till it restarts I get full volume again .

to enjoy full volume on my colombus i need to do that almost everytime.  Any suggestions? 

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same problem, the car has been at the shop twice for this issue but they didn't find anything wrong with.

It's soooo annoying!

Edited by Delmar78

• 10 months later...

I've started having the same problem for the last 2-3 months. 

Noticed that while I'm playing music over bluetooth, if i answer a call once I'm done with it and the audio resumes it goes back to nice and loud like it used to be, but when the song ends and the next one starts it soft again. Then if i press pause and play it goes back to good sound. Unfortunately I have to keep doing this for every track!

The phone and the music player on the phone have been constant all through the last 1 year but the problem only started to occur around 3 months ago.

Also when I skip a track now the volume momentarily blips quite loud for half a sec or so before changing tracks. 

Does anyone else have this? More importantly, has anyone managed to sort out the volume problem?

I have this problem. I believe the issue is to do with the volume control getting confused over the many and various causes of volume muting, and whether they are active or not at the time.

The clue for me is the virtual cockpit display, when I adjust the volume, if its in "spurious quiet mode" the volume is adjusting the voice announcement and not the media volume as indicated. There must be some bug(s) in the software that make it confused over the muting.

I've tried all the muting settings and none seems to fix the problem. The only solution is to reboot the unit when it happens. That means holding down the on/off/volume knob for 16 seconds until the display goes black. This always works and normal full-volume service is resumed within a minute or so. 

Thanks TDIum,

I do not have a virtual cockpit as they only released that as an option after I bought my car. 

I kept the Power button pressed for around 10 seconds after which the infotainment splash screen comes on with the L&K display, but the problem still persists. 

Unfortunately even 16 seconds of holding the power button pressed hasn't fixed the problem. 

Tried a factory reset from the settings menu and that hasn't worked either. 

Thanks though 

• 1 year later...

Anyone fixed it?

It started happenjng to mine. Sometimes radio/bluetooth/aux just goes much quieter, independant of speedsettings etc. Can crank it up to full and not veru loud.

When it works correctly, half volume is more than enough!

Really annoying...