Anyone wanna help me fix my Fabia? Got cash waiting..?

Haych123

My Fabia Vrs could do with some engine repair I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it, it runs smooth from cold to warm no trouble but it is very very loud, few have said cam is nackered, few say dropped a valve and few say hydraulic lifter is fooked.. Prefer someone who has already worked on a Fabia to help, I no my way about an engine bay well and usually do all the work myself but never opened up an engine so someone that knows more than me can come along we can work on it together.. Located in Birmingham

Pm me if your up for it.. Any parts needed I will buy, I've got tools, food will be on me.. And obviously I'm willing to pay labour to who Evers up for it.. I've uploaded a vid of how it sounds in case anyone wants to hear the beast lol

Let me know what you guys think, cheers[emoji106]

https://vimeo.com/149731608

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are miles away from me but all you need to do for a start is take the cam cover off and have a good look around, that'll probably give you a good indication of any issues - wouldn't take you too long and you can manage yourself, take the cambelt cover off the side too.

Tbh your video sounds ok?

Just sounds like the horrible noisy derv that is fitted to the VRS!!

Get a good torch and have a look through oil filler cap at the cam,any scoring or funny shaped lobes etc and then as above whip the cam cover off and inspect complete cam and tops of lifters.

Quite an expensive job if it's cam that's worn,as you will need to do a cambelt/water pump change too.

Edited by coskev

Get a good torch and have a look through oil filler cap at the cam,any scoring or funny shaped lobes etc and then as above whip the cam cover off and inspect complete cam and tops of lifters.

Quite an expensive job if it's cam that's worn,as you will need to do a cambelt/water pump change too.

Lucky for me I've got a water pump and belt left over from my last one, and it's got a reply loud bassy sound coming out the air box sounds abit like a helicopter lol it's not exactly a knock it's more of a bass ish sound

If I open it up and cam looks fine then where does that lead me..?

Nope it's got a cone filter but everything seemed in check

They do make a strange noise from the inlet with a cone fitted,like the sound you describe tbh.

A knackered cam or lifter will give you a proper metal on metal tapling/knocking sound.

They do make a strange noise from the inlet with a cone fitted,like the sound you describe tbh.

A knackered cam or lifter will give you a proper metal on metal tapling/knocking sound.

I've had one with a cone filter and it's not that this is really loud and only get pounded get u go up the revs, you can hear it as I go and come back to the front of the car hence y I'm by where the air box would be I'll try and dig up an old video with the bonnet open

Tried getting the rocker cover off today snapped 3 bolts in the head and can't get the EGR off the get the last bolt off that's under the EGR so gave up but when I looked through the oil cap the cam has got wear on one of the lobs could see but I wouldn't say it's enough to give me all the noise

Very, seen many snapped bolts and studs but never a cam cover one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm confused myself first one on the right at the front going the right way first turn and snap, thought okay that went well on the next one snap, then next one and snap again so yeah 3 in a row rest came out with ease can't get to the one under the EGR

I'm confused myself first one on the right at the front going the right way first turn and snap, thought okay that went well on the next one snap, then next one and snap again so yeah 3 in a row rest came out with ease can't get to the one under the EGR

Turning the ratchet anti clockwise yeah?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably had a slight oil leak so some dopey previous owner has thought tightening the bolts will stop it.

Not realising there are restrictors in the cover which stop you over tightening the plastic cover.

• Like 1

It doesnt sound that different from mine with a mufflectomy, on a start from a cold morning. Does it run alright? does the sound remain after the engine has reach 90 c ?  Mine goes after its warmed up a bit. Is there a exhaust/ manifold leak? Does the turbo work fine? Is there a Vacuum leak? What have you done with the Vacuum tube that was on the air box? you say you have a cone, have you drilled and fed the vacuum tube inside? Mine sounded like this when not utilizing the vacuum tube, not to mention slower off the mark in lower gears.  Im just throwing things out there as its hard to diagnose off that engine noise.