Boot hatch leak

Has anyone else had a issue with their boot hatch leaking obscene amounts of water into their boots? Mine mainly does it when I open it after heavy rain n soaks everything under the shelf support. Are there any drain aways I need to clean or should I get a new boot rubber?

Edited by OutlawKen

I thought that originally as there is the gap between the window and metal but theres more water getting in than whats on the outside, I no of the rear wiper water issue and its not that as the water is from above sitting on my tool box and mashing up any boxes I have I the boot. The car has had a rear impact in its life so the rear may not be tight, think il throw a big led bar in the boot and look for light around the edges

seems to be a "feature" of the mk1 Hatch,

This was my hope in honesty, I may get a new rubber just to be sure, its annoyed me more as I have a old caliper in the boot to return for surcharge and the box is knackered now! O well, I should be greatful my cabins dry unlike many others

Need to kind of put boot to horizontal / slight angle up, to allow water to run off gently, then fully extend.

Dad's Audi TT mk2 does it too.  Not sure where its pooling the water to be honest but I suspect in his case its the retractable spoiler space.

I did attempt that as well a few months ago then forgot I needed to do it that way, I dont use the boot much. I best empty it out and dry the carpet, stil not replaced it yet from when I was asking before about a boot carpet u had that was no use. These cars want lots of attention dont they lol

I had water gettin in too, but it was inside the hatch space ie, behind the trim panel, from the washer i reckoned. but i think it was getting in via the hinge housing up top..

I pulled the 2 bungs out of the bottom of the hatch and its been fine since.

used to get the occasional wet head from water sloshing out throuh the slot for the closing strap..

• Like 1

I had water gettin in too, but it was inside the hatch space ie, behind the trim panel, from the washer i reckoned. but i think it was getting in via the hinge housing up top..

used to get the occasional wet head from water sloshing out throuh the slot for the closing strap..

Yup, thats advice been knocking around throught he now lost unto the ether (ie farther down the list than page 2) previous threads relating to leaky hatch lids/ dripping spoilers..

though my readimg of it was to just fill the entire width of that glass/metal joint with a neatly shaped silicon bead.to stopp any water pooling in the first place

• 2 weeks later...

I have started getting a major water leak into my boot too with this mad rain, where are these bungs you mention? I had a good inch or two of water in the foam compartment section under the boot floor!

I have started getting a major water leak into my boot too with this mad rain, where are these bungs you mention? I had a good inch or two of water in the foam compartment section under the boot floor!

Ill have a look in a minutes to double check, but are you sure its not coming from the washer hose joint to the left hand side of the boot behind the carpet?

Sorry got way laid last night!!

The hatch bungs are located right in each corner of hatch, below and to the outside of the bump stops.

Just yank them out and job done