Possible new owner - questions

the chemist

Hi

Been thinking about trading in my Fabia vRS for a Yeti - it will be a sad day but family reasons and all that.

So the question is which 1 - its main job will be to take wife to work about 20 mile round trip each day - 5 days per week so not massive mileage and not motorway.

However, I do quite like the idea of the 4x4 version - used to have a land rover (which I know is NOT the same) but I also work in emergency services so the idea of being able to get to/from a job/work in all weathers is appealling as well.

I am guessing the 4x4 mpg is a lot less than the 2wd version? Any user figures on here??

Also is the 4x4 only in the diesel engine and is this the engine VW have been having issues with?

With the rear seats do they all fold flat and/or is there a 'ski - hatch' in one for long loads?

I am thinking of adding a factory fitted tow bar - is it the kind you can remove when not in use?

Also - what does the hill contol button do - is it worth it

Also is the off road button worth it - seen a few videos which seem to suggest it really helps with 4x4 mode.

Sorry for all the questions but always good to get opinios of users in these things I think.

Thanks

I did just this - Fabia mk1 Vrs to pre-fl Yeti 110bhp 4x4.

MPG - I get about 40 so not horrendous, could probably be better is I didn't go foot flat to the floor everywhere.

All the 2l diesel engines are affected by the VW thing, 4x4 or not - the 4x4 is a Haldex system fitted rather than a different engine.

Seats - fold flat and completely come out if required. I got a small-ish sofa in the back of mine with the seats out with room to spare!

Tow bar - if that's the one you choose then yes it can be removed. There are numerous ones out there and people more knowledgeable on it than me will hopefully pop up.

Hill Control - I haven't got it, but apparently it can be useful.

I don't have the off road button either - not all the 4x4's do so I don't know how useful that is!

Edited by djswivel

My wife has a Mk1 Fabia VRS and loves it. I bought a Yeti 4x4 2.0L 140bhp and love it. It does about 45mpg on average driving. Some will say that diesels are only best on large mileages but I do about 6000 per annum and it works for me. Performance is similar to the Fabia, but not quite as quick.

I have Hill Hold on mine which keeps the brakes engaged on inclines to give you time to get the clutch up without rolling backwards and no need for a handbrake. Personally I like this feature. I have an Off Road button, but not used it so far and not sure if I every will as I am unlikely to go offroad.

Rear seat is divided into three and all sections can be folded individually or removed to give space - very useful!

If you have a spare wheel, this takes up boot space but gives you a flat load from the rear sill, otherwise its a lift over and drop down to the boot floor.

Best go and see one at a dealer and have a test drive and a good look around it.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Smokeyjoe

Mine is similar to Smokeyjoes but with the DSG gearbox and pano sunroof. I think most of your questions have been answered but I can give you DSG MPG figures.... I have never had less than 40 mpg in town and on a long run have got 54 when driven carefully (by SWMBO!) I'd say a good average is 44mpg with a fairly high town use.

I had a Tiguan for 18 months before this with the same 140 bhp engine and DSG 7 speed box and it was a lot slower and averaged 39 mpg. It was also blighted with an electronic hand break which I suppose is a bit like marmite... You love it or hate it... It made close manoevering a pain.

I love changing vehicles but if I was ordering a new car today it would be the same again. The turning circle is amazing! The heated screen option is fantastic this time of year or in summer if it's raining and you get in the car soaking wet.... No condensation on the windscreen.

hi not all diesel engines are hit by the nox problems engine types with euro six spec do not have problems .there is a thread on this site covering this problem. also the repair is free and only needs a tube in the intake system and a software update(some only need a software update)

So the question is which 1 - its main job will be to take wife to work about 20 mile round trip each day - 5 days per week so not massive mileage and not motorway.

However, I do quite like the idea of the 4x4 version - used to have a land rover (which I know is NOT the same) but I also work in emergency services so the idea of being able to get to/from a job/work in all weathers is appealling as well.

SEVERAL OF THE EMERGENCY SERVICES USE 4X4 YETI'S.

I am guessing the 4x4 mpg is a lot less than the 2wd version? Any user figures on here??

OVER THE 100K MILES MINE HAS DONE IT HAS AVERAGED IN THE UPPER 40'S, CERTAINLY NOT SOMETHING I COULD COMPLAIN ABOUT. HOWEVER MY COMMUTE WAS SOMEWHAT LONGER. HAVING NOW FINISHED WORK I AM STILL GETTING LOW TO MID 40'S.

Also is the 4x4 only in the diesel engine and is this the engine VW have been having issues with?

THE 2 LITRES110, 140 AND 170 BHP MODELS ARE AFFECTED, BUT WILL ONLY GET A SOFTWARE UPGRADE, AND ISN'T SOMETHING THAT IS BOTHERING ME. THE 1.6 WILL GET A BIT MORE WORK. 

With the rear seats do they all fold flat and/or is there a 'ski - hatch' in one for long loads?

NOT TOTALLY, BUT THEY ARE REMOVABLE. THE MIDDLE ONE CAN ALSO BE FOLDED UP FOR LONG LOADS/

I am thinking of adding a factory fitted tow bar - is it the kind you can remove when not in use?

IF YOU WANT A TOW BAR GET IT FITTED AT THE FACTORY AS IT IS CHEAPER THAN HAVING IT DONE AFTER, AND THE CODING IS ALL DONE PROPERLY. IT IS VERY EASY TO TAKE IT ON AND OFF.

DON'T HAVE IT ON MINE, BUT IT LOOKS VERY GOOD AND IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE FREELANDER SYSTEM. I KNOW ONE OF THE CARS THAT CAME OUT ON ONE OF MY OFF-ROAD DAYS HAD IT AND FOUND IT USEFUL. 

Also is the off road button worth it - seen a few videos which seem to suggest it really helps with 4x4 mode.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING THEN IT PROBABLY HELPS, BUT AGAIN I DON'T HAVE IT AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

Sorry for all the questions but always good to get opinios of users in these things I think.

Thanks

Hi

Been thinking about trading in my Fabia vRS for a Yeti - it will be a sad day but family reasons and all that.

Thanks

Unless things have changed recently, there's no such thing as a Hill Control Button.

Hill Hold is an automatic feature on cars fitted with it.

On a hill of more than 8%, if you press and then release the footbrake, the HHC maintains your brake pressure for a few seconds to stop the car rolling back, giving you enough time to release the clutch to drive away without balancing the car on the handbrake. (The brake releases as the car starts moving forward.) The system also works if you wish to reverse up a hill. It is certainly effective and is very useful.

A secondary feature is that if you have to stop whist on a hill, press the footbrake a little harder after you come to rest, and the system maintains that pressure and at the same time takes up any slack in the handbrake, so you don't have to pull as hard as normal to apply the handbrake. Of course, you still need to make sure you've applied the handbrake sufficiently to stop the car rolling back when HHC releases after a few seconds!  I certainly miss it when I drive cars that are not fitted with HHC. It's not just a Yeti/Land Rover thing though, several "ordinary" cars now have it fitted too.

The Off-Road button changes all sorts of electronic features of the car mostly to do with brakes, electronic traction control etc.

According to the brochure:-

Off-road button*. By pushing the off road button, the Yeti 4x4 helps maintain control when the driving conditions get tough. It will maintain a constant speed downhill on a steep slope (over 8%), maintain traction going uphill and stop over revving of the engine, hold the car still on a hill start and help prevent the wheels from spinning on loose surfaces or wet, slippery roads.

Selecting the Off-Road button activates the following:-

Uphill start assist.

> Used to assist in pulling away on wet, slippery or snowy road surfaces

> Allows the accelerator to be fully pressed but with the RPM restricted to 2,500

> Helps prevent damage to the clutch and engine

> Allows driver to maintain control

Downhill assist.

> Maintains a stable speed during descent down slippery, wet or snowy road surfaces

> Engine is running, but is engaged in neutral, first, second, third or reverse gear

> ESC brakes the wheels individually, preventing locking

> In neutral the driver does not have to press accelerator or brake pedal

> Allows the driver to concentrate fully on steering the car ABS off-road.

> Improves braking effect of the car

> Longer braking creates a ‘chock’ of surface material, enhancing vehicle control

> Only active up to 30mph

ASR off-road.

> Improves acceleration on slippery surfaces

> ASR is set to manage a higher slippage on the driving wheels

> Helps maintain driver control and vehicle stability EDS off-road.

> Maintains permanent traction of the car

> Can work diagonally across axles

> Brakes the slipping wheel(s)

> Helps maintain driver control and vehicle stability

Not entirely clear if you are looking at new or used (or both), and if so budget. If you are looking at new, then there are no emissions issues but the range of options is far more limited. Also your desire for power (coming from a VRS Fabia) over other things.

If you want a 4x4 you are limited even more.

The technical questions have mostly been answered - I would add that if carrying long loads is important, you can Oslo spec a front passenger seat that folds forward (but rare on used).

If you are looking for used, petrol, power, 4x4 but can put up with a bit of a thirst, seek out a rareish 1.8 TSI. Otherwise, there is a good selection of 140 TDIs out there.

If new, and budget allows, a 1.4 petrol L&K is probably your best option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget that if the 4x4 is mostly for use in low temperature, snow, ice type road conditions, then (as we often reminded on here) a 2 wheel drive car fitted with cold weather (aka "winter") tyres is more effective than a 4x4 on warm weather (aka "summer") tyres.

• Like 2

Unlike some I'm not a great fan of the Hill Hold function.

Reason being that it's action can be irregular. As it evidently activates over a given gradient and as far as I know there is no indication on the dash (though I may be wrong on this), you do not know if it is holding the car or not, if not, as you pull away you can roll back! Because of this I use the hand brake all the time now!

Also when reversing off my drive I have to wait (although I'd have thought my drive is well below the gradient at which it activates) for the system to release before I can roll back, not long I know but it can annoy sometimes. First time it did this, in a similar situation, I was outside a friends house and I thought there was a problem!

So a good idea in theory but not so good in practise. At least with the version that works with an electronic hand brake on other cars you know where you are.  

As regards a diesel, my annual mileage would suggest a petrol is best, but in a vehicle like the Yeti I prefer a diesel and I'm OK because whilst fairly low, approx. 6k. pa., most of my mileage is on good runs so that the engine reaches normal operating temperature and so I shouldn't have any problems with the EGR valve.

As regards the Euro 5 diesels I don't think the final details of the fixes have been published yet? And it may be that the software part of the fix will increase the problems of the EGR etc. getting gummed up?

The rear sets do not fold flat or anything like. In some estates the seat squab folds against the front seats and then the seat back folds down to form a flat load area whilst in others the whole seat folds forward to form more of a sloping floor. Both quick and easy. In the Yeti the back folds onto the squab and then the whole thing folds forward against the front seats. This takes up a lot of the rear floor which isn't massive anyway. And then you have to secure the rear seats to the front headrests with the elastic cords, a not very elegant solution! Yes, they are obviously designed so that the whole seat can be taken out but that can be a pain and they are very heavy! The design of the rear seats is the one area of the Yeti that I'm not very impressed with. You even have to be very careful if using the centre seat as an armrest/tray because the seat belt buckles (if not moved out of the way) and head rest can indent the seat squab. 

Edited by VAGCF

I think you can get a flat load space if you have a spare wheel (or the boot under floor storage kit) but this does reduce the boot size. I take your point about the back seats; 'Swings and roundabouts' though. The elastic on the head rest malarkey is ungainly but something heavy behind the seat makes this unnecessary. Also it depends if seat folding is a regular or occasional occurrence. As you say the seats are heavy to lift out (and you need to put them somewhere).

On balance, a well sorted estate car setup is preferable, but I do find the 'all seats out' option to be really useful the half dozen or so times a year that I use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

When I had my Yeti, I never had the rear seats in it in the 4 years I owned it. I made a wooden platform that fitted where the rear seats would have been and was held in place by the rear seat fitting bars, for the occasions that I needed a totally flat load space. It worked very well and was easily removed.

It meant that such things as, for example, a fridge freezer could be easily slid in and out of the car.

The Yeti mechanism may not be to everyone's taste, but once the seats are "tumbled" forward, you get flat floor that will take 9 Curver stacking boxes, or 9 of those collapsible plastic basket things, plus a full boot - as I do when I drive up to Mull.

Looked at the current Tiguan, New Rav 4, Nissan X-Trail & Ford Kuga yesterday, and they all fold the seat back onto the base to give a not particularly flat load area. But whilst doing so on each of them, the whole seat slides forward to some degree, so you can't then fit much in the rear seat foowell. Their seats are all really heavy too, and some of them only fold 1/3 - 2/3 whereas the Yeti folds in 3 pieces.

The Yeti seats could be improved by having more solid seat backs, though this would add to weight. I always worry that anything heavy placed on them will go through the cloth backing, so I invariably use a sheet of hardboard to protect them. Oh, and the seat belt buckles need somewhere else to stow so they don't mark the leather seat facings. And the centre "armrest" (ie the back of the middle seat) is extremely vulnerable to damage from things in the boot. It would have been better as a cloth covered pad.

On balance, I still prefer the Yeti way.

When I had my Yeti, I never had the rear seats in it in the 4 years I owned it. I made a wooden platform that fitted where the rear seats would have been and was held in place by the rear seat fitting bars, for the occasions that I needed a totally flat load space. It worked very well and was easily removed.

It meant that such things as, for example, a fridge freezer could be easily slid in and out of the car.

I think you are the exception though x19 and you would have been happy with a van! :D

• Like 3

Yes, swings and roundabouts, but I think that in a domestic rather than a commercial vehicle, personally, I find the cons outweigh the pros. I'd rather have the more usual 1/3, 2/3 folding rear seats that quickly and easily fold down and lose the few inches taken up by the backs being up against the front seats. A flat floor can still be achieved with that as per my first Passats.

I took the middle seat out because it was fouling the front arm-rest/rear console which was a struggle and I'm 6 foot and still relatively strong. Reaching over and lifting a heavy weight like that is not a good idea and goes against what is acceptable in industry. When checking the handbook later (you shouldn't really have to do this for folding the rear seats!) I found out that you have to pull the back up after folding it.

I think that this will be the last time that we see this arrangement in the Yeti.    

We had a Honda Jazz/Fit which had the best (non-removable) folding seat system for those wanting a load carrier; economical and boringly reliable.

• Like 1

Oh, and the seat belt buckles need somewhere else to stow so they don't mark the leather seat facings.

There are the plastic recesses on the wheel arches for the buckle which keeps them out of the way...

There are the plastic recesses on the wheel arches for the buckle which keeps them out of the way...

The tongue only I think.

The buckle is inboard.

The tongue only I think.

The buckle is inboard.

Ok, see what you mean. Different terminology as I call what you call the tongue the buckle. Thinking about it, not sure what I do call the other part so maybe your terminology makes more sense... Edited by rriggs
  • Like 1

We had a Honda Jazz/Fit which had the best (non-removable) folding seat system for those wanting a load carrier; economical and boringly reliable.

Probably similar to the system I have on my CR-V and one of the reasons I bought it. You just pull a tag and the rear seats, including the headrests, fold forward entirely on their own forming an almost flat (there is about a 10 degree rise in the rear seat backs when lowered) cargo space which is just short of 6ft. long. Raising them is just as easy. The rear seats aren't designed to be easily removed like the Yeti but there is no need to.

Re the van comment above, which by the way I agree with, there was a picture on here a while ago showing a van version of the Yeti, which IIRC, was an Irish iteration.

• Like 1

Hi Thanks to all who contributed here - i put the deposit down on a Yeti today - 14 plate Elegance in white with the 140 bhp engine and 4x4.  Will be picking up in a week or so once they have done a couple of things for me.

So I will be joining this formum and leaving the Fabia forum.  It will be sad to let the little car go, had so much fun with it over the years.  So if you know of anyone who wants a great 54 plate vRS then tell them to get in touch.  I will be advertising it on here once I upgrade my membership

See you soon