Carista App.

I have, I posted a link to the one I bought earlier on in the thread. No issues, cost £16.10 for the app.

Bought the one you linked to. Tried it this evening, Carista says no, my OBD device is defective. This is the 4th one I've tried, now can't be bothered.

Did you plug it in after you had turned the key to ignition without starting engine?

I plugged mine in then turned the key, and it wasn't playing ball. so I let the car do its needle sweep and waited a few seconds after, and the gave the plug a good shove!

That seemed to work!

I shoved so hard I struggled to pull it out and the cheap thing came apart with components showing, so be gentle in removing!

Dan. Is you dongle the wifi version? To connect to it you have to search for it in settings on your iPhone/ipad to connect to it, just a thought.

Edited by Wonky

Dan. Is you dongle the wifi version? To connect to it you have to search for it in settings on your iPhone/ipad to connect to it, just a thought.

This. The app only connects to the official dongle, 3rd party dongles have to be paired to the phone first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I say Ive had no issues with mine, it plugs in upside down as the lights point to the floor, but with the Bluetooth connection I just connect and use the app.

No mine's a Bluetooth dongle. I pair it to the phone first before starting Carista. I'll try turning the ignition on first then plugging it in to see if it'll work.

If all else fails, I would be happy to try my version.

If you wish to tweak anything I could do it for you, I am not that far away.

Are you using an iPhone or Android phone? I know iPhones can be awkward with Bluetooth. If you have an iPhone then you could use my dongle (wifi) to eliminate your phone.

Edited by Wonky

Ok, my Galaxy Note 3 running Android 5.1.1 works perfect BUT it's wifi pal, not Bluetooth. I think you have been using the wrong dongle? The one I linked to definitely works with Android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought the one you linked to. Tried it this evening, Carista says no, my OBD device is defective. This is the 4th one I've tried, now can't be bothered.

There appears to be some possible problems with 3rd party dongles. What version did you buy - V2.1 looks to be problematic while V1.5 may be OK. 

http://www.incardoc.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=84#post252

Finally got around to buying a dongle, I bought the one recommended by jonro2009 in Post #14.

Works great along with Carista app over WiFi on my iPhone.

Haven't played too much, turned on gauge needle sweep and heated mirrors turn on with heated rear window now, which is handy as my mirror switch is broken and I haven't got round to replacing it yet.

Edited by ratkat
  • Like 2

Nice idea but up north we all expect everything for nothing. Lol

Oooh I'm a lot further "up North" than you, and the further North (East side) you go from me people are very tight, as in Ducks Bottoms!

Spend the full whack on VCDS and you can do anythin you like :D

Carista seems good value for what it does, although i havent used it myself. Im from the Midlands, so wasnt tight n bought VCDS ;):D

Edited by fabiamk2SE

My Carista was bought to replace a Gendan VAG scan tool as it had run out of useful life when my cars changed, Carista's "customising" function can be handy, makes you lazy it is so simple easy to use - I have not tried to see what it can do for BMWs though, any BMW owners I know are either too tight or don't care about what could be changed. VCDS does not leave the house unless we are on holiday with a car.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I bought the dongle that Jonro2009 linked to. I know its wifi and I have an android phone, but I got this one specifically because it read like he said it works for both iphone and android. However I cant get Carista to work with it. My phone will connect to the wifi but carista will only look for bluetooth devices. Is there some way I can get carista to work with wifi or have I made another balls up? This is the second different dongle I've got now that doesn't do the job. First one was a bluetooth one but it would only scan for error codes and not work to do customisations. PITA.

Edited by homesqueeze