Limited Options on new vRS !!

:thumbup:

if the alarm is Cat1 is there any pointin getting a Clifford ? Clifford without BlackJax for around 500 Euro' date=' factory one is 300 Euro.[/quote']

Interesting read here and suggests that the Clifford probably isn't necessary :D I guess it depends if you really want BlackJax or not :D

Chris

Interesting read here and suggests that the Clifford probably isn't necessary :D I guess it depends if you really want BlackJax or not :D

Chris

If Gaff goes for one of these it will be the European version as opposed to the UK version. Is there a possibility that non-UK models are only Cat2?

If Gaff goes for one of these it will be the European version as opposed to the UK version. Is there a possibility that non-UK models are only Cat2?

There is probably quite a strong change that they are different - most levels of Octavia in this country have Cat 1 standard - but then Thatcham is a UK organisation and probably has more relevance in this country - that said even if the car comes with cat 1 - theres nothing stopping you fitting additional security like the Clifford system or an I-Mob or similar

Anyone know about rear reading lamps, I seen a list of about 19 on an irish options list :eek: I assume theres some sort of lights in the back as standard (unlike the old one).

There's like a tunnel runs from front of roof into the back. It extends from the coutesy light in the front and also houses a courtesy light in the back.

I have to say rear wind up windows don't bother me. How often will they be used?

Its not as if you will ever use them?

I use them all the time, operated from the front - usually when I've got panting dogs in the back and the aircon isn't enough. :rolleyes:

Haven't had a car for the last 15 years without all electric windows and at £18200 for the estate, having sticky-out winder handles looks distinctly cheapskate.

This car is basically the 2.0 FSI Ambiente with a turbo and go-faster stripes which sells at around £14K after discount. If they expect to sell the vRS without a substantial discount then asking a premium of £4200 (30%) over the 2.0 Ambiente and wanting still more for basics like electric windows looks greedy.

Other cars offer a range of free options for interiors, many other options at a price but they are available, and make the vRS look an expensive "cheap" car. I'll be looking around and testing the classier-looking 2.0T Passat estate with same engine and running gear.

I have to say rear wind up windows don't bother me. How often will they be used?

Its not as if you will ever use them?

I use mine for removing condensation from them when I get in the car in the morning, and they're also invaluable if you have kids who like to fiddle with things (which I suspect covers the vRS's target audience ;))

Chris

There's like a tunnel runs from front of roof into the back. It extends from the coutesy light in the front and also houses a courtesy light in the back.

I wonder will the optional extra of a sunroof change this much. I must have a good look around yours at the weekend :D

Lots of pictures on this site may help explain a few things. The dashboard with Maxidot looks the business although i've got used to mine now so it seems less impressive.

http://oldpartner.skoda-auto.com/picturebank/list.asp?group=17&subgroup=all

Interior looks the same as the passat and golf to me.Think you can even have silver bits on the passat if you pay extra.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/gti/explore/

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/passat_saloon/360

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/passat_estate/upholstery

Looks like around 16 different options for Passat upholstery alone to me (including 8 types of leather) which all seem a vast improvement on the Marks and Sparks trainer look of the vRS with the naff logos on the backrests and single option - take it or leave it. :(

I'm really disappointed that a car that would suit me to the ground is messed up by such a cheapo, juvenile looking interior. If they want to cut costs by not giving any options on interior then fine but at least make the default something you wouldn't feel a prat to be seen in.

I'm really disappointed that a car that would suit me to the ground is messed up by such a cheapo' date=' juvenile looking interior. If they want to cut costs by not giving any options on interior then fine but at least make the default something you wouldn't feel a prat to be seen in.[/quote']

Each to there own - if you don't like it fine - - if we all liked the same things life would be very boring indeed.

Don't disagree about the interior, though I don't think it much worse than the mark 1 vRS.

I would prefer to have brought a GTI but it is too small for my family and I would struggle to afford it.

I would not mind having the passat, but I could not afford it and higher tax.

Honda accord, too slow.

Vectra, too slow, too ugly.

Mondeo, too slow, about to be replaced.

Peugeot 407, too slow.

Toyota, slow and plasticy.

Nissan primera, slow and ugly.

Citreon, slow and ugly.

Audi, BMW, merc, far too expensive

Skoda best compromise plus as a company car which has to be available to other employees as a pool car while I m at work, nobody wants to borrow it!

I use them all the time' date=' operated from the front - usually when I've got panting dogs in the back and the aircon isn't enough. :rolleyes:

Haven't had a car for the last 15 years without all electric windows and at £18200 for the estate, having sticky-out winder handles looks distinctly cheapskate.

This car is basically the 2.0 FSI Ambiente with a turbo and go-faster stripes which sells at around £14K after discount. If they expect to sell the vRS without a substantial discount then asking a premium of £4200 (30%) over the 2.0 Ambiente and wanting still more for basics like electric windows looks greedy.

Other cars offer a range of free options for interiors, many other options at a price but they are available, and make the vRS look an expensive "cheap" car. I'll be looking around and testing the classier-looking 2.0T Passat estate with same engine and running gear.[/quote']

Fair enough I suppose, but as I say it doesn't bother me.

The vRS is still amazing value for money against comparable cars. Comparing it against the 2.0FSi Ambiente is not really the point. I don't think many people will choose between the 2.

The Passat with the same running gear will be a totally different car to drive. If you are after a fast car which is not that involving then its great, but the vRS is a totally different animal. Obviously that's just IMHO only...

Fair enough I suppose' date=' but as I say it doesn't bother me.

The vRS is still amazing value for money against comparable cars. Comparing it against the 2.0FSi Ambiente is not really the point. I don't think many people will choose between the 2.

The Passat with the same running gear will be a totally different car to drive. If you are after a fast car which is not that involving then its great, but the vRS is a totally different animal. Obviously that's just IMHO only...[/quote']

The Passat is a big lump. Doesn't matter what engine it has, that big ars e will make it handle like a boat.

I wonder will the optional extra of a sunroof change this much. I must have a good look around yours at the weekend :D

No probs Gaff.

The sunroof costs so much because it buggers up the production line. I'd say 99% of buyers aren't bothered about sunroofs so the production line isn't really kitted out for it. Everything grinds to a halt for a couple of minutes while the pressing machine former for the roof is adjusted and then again further down the line while someone figures out how to fit it. You pay for it all unforunately. BTW a sunroof is not exactly a lightweight piece of kit and as you know it all adds up.

if we all liked the same things life would be very boring indeed.

Unfortunately anyone who wants a vRS will have to like the same thing. There is no choice of interior at any price afaik and that is very boring.

And when the only available interior looks like a bad makeover from Halfords that's a shame. Could be a great car and they've made the interior look like a ch@v's pride and joy in total contrast to the very staid exterior. It's the top of the range so why not at least the same choice as their £10K base vehicle? Why not a single alternative or the option of leather?

I haven't tried either the new Passat or the vRS as yet but reports are that the new Passat isn't the plate of blancmange that the old one was. It's a bigger car and given the choice the size of the vRS would suit me better, but that one size fits all Halfords interior...

The new 130i 1 series and the Golf R32 both use metal strips in the interior.

The vRS is either like or don't like.If it doesn't fit the bill and people are trying so hard not to like what is on offer it is better to simply look at alternative car/manufacturer.

Plenty more fish in the sea as they say:)

The new 130i 1 series and the Golf R32 both use metal strips in the interior.

The vRS is either like or don't like.If it doesn't fit the bill and people are trying so hard not to like what is on offer it is better to simply look at alternative car/manufacturer.

Totally agree - if you don't like it - don't buy it - end of - don't keep bleeting on about an interior on car that your obviously not going to buy.

It would be nice if there was an alternative - but there isnt so take it or leave it.

Depending on your needs may not be strictly true.

I need a medium sized estate and while there are plenty of hottish hatches around there's not so many estates with a half decent performance.

Volvo V50 T5 is a possible. 0-60 sub 7 secs, leather seats with choice of colours and all elecric adjustment as standard together with the normal basic kit like all electric windows and full set of airbags missing on the vRS. With the discounts available comes in around the same price as the vRS ordered by Skodaw. Faster and way classier interior with Ok if not exciting handling.

A4 not a nice drive and being replaced. New BMW 325i is a great drive but the boot seems smaller than the old version despite what they say with big intrusions from the wheel arches. The new Passat I haven't driven yet and local dealers haven't got a 2.0T demo yet.

The vRS estate could be a decent car if it drives well with a reasonable performance but spoilt by an interior as classy as a Tescos bag that east Europeans think looks "racey" and very east European ideas on choice.

Any other fish to choose from? Doesn't need to be a scorcher but would like something that could at least keep up with cars I had in the last century. Even the old BX 16v I bought in 1990 did 0-60 in 7.4 with just 1905cc and no turbo, why so many boring cars around now?

Any other fish to choose from? Doesn't need to be a scorcher but would like something that could at least keep up with cars I had in the last century. Even the old BX 16v I bought in 1990 did 0-60 in 7.4 with just 1905cc and no turbo, why so many boring cars around now?

Legacy 3.0R spec B? Not sure whether it ticks all your boxes, or what discounts are available, but I've yet to see a bad review of it. :D

Chris