2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

Jumping back a bit, I have to agree with Martin Brundle that qualy was a bit weird. 

I've not spoken to, or heard, anyone who thought that qually worked out well, given that effectively Q3 ended 5 minutes early with all 4 remaining drivers out their cars.

And that's before mentioning the number of teams who apparently hadn't understood that you did not get to finish the lap you were on when you were hindmost.

They should mix it up a bit - try some differing formats over next few races and see which provides the best spectacle / most interesting grid etc.

Or simply just open the track for {insert desired length of time} and let everyone out. Fastest lap in pole, next fastest in 2nd, etc.

Drivers will then have to battle with traffic; conditions etc

• Like 2

They should mix it up a bit - try some differing formats over next few races and see which provides the best spectacle / most interesting grid etc.

Or simply just open the track for {insert desired length of time} and let everyone out. Fastest lap in pole, next fastest in 2nd, etc.

or scrap Qualy altogether and make them race in reverse order of the finishing positions from the previous race.

• Like 1

This would be my ideal I think.

• Administrators

or scrap Qualy altogether and make them race in reverse order of the finishing positions from the previous race.

Touring cars with ballast kind of works... cream eventually filters up to the front.

I personally think there should be pts for pole and pts for fastest lap, because both imply a certain level of skill and edgy.

• Like 2

Touring cars with ballast kind of works... cream eventually filters up to the front.

I personally think there should be pts for pole and pts for fastest lap, because both imply a certain level of skill and edgy.

Back in the 1950s there actually was a point for fastest lap. And 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the top 6.

Cracking day for F1 - GDPA release statement basically saying the sport is crap and management decisions are obsolete and ill judged (aka Bernie). Then SKY announce end of free to air races totally from 2020, except British GP.

If the sport continues as it is, then by 2020 its dead in the water in the UK as far as I'm concerned. Strange given that the vast majority of teams and personnel are drawn from here.

Someone needs to get a grip!

• Like 2

Going down the pay to view TV route is one of the items that the drivers are complaining about. I have watched F1 since the beeb started showing it back in the Seventies, I won't pay Sky to watch a sport that is in decline. Unfortunately like most sports money is all. The costs involved now make it almost impossible for 'small' teams to compete, it's all geared to large motor manufacturers, who see it as a corporate advertising platform. For me the. Sixties to the eighties were the best years, Tyrell, lotus, BRM, McLaren, Brabham, Williams etc. All small teams that were successful through their desire to go racing, most of them gone or bought out by 'big business. Technically F1 is brilliant, as a sport it's as about exciting as a wet weekend in Cleethorpes.

Was not Bernie looking to sell up, if so I guess this new megabucks SKY deal will look good to any potential buyer of his company. I can't believe sponsors will be happy at losing UK terrestrial F1 viewers. Watching live is part of the buzz, highlights only is bound to put people off.   

Was not Bernie looking to sell up, if so I guess this new megabucks SKY deal will look good to any potential buyer of his company. I can't believe sponsors will be happy at losing UK terrestrial F1 viewers. Watching live is part of the buzz, highlights only is bound to put people off.

I thought free to air (only has to be highlights) was written into the Concorde agreement?

There can be a pay option for full race coverage, but there should always be highlights

The free to terrestrial rights to the big sports events aren't quite as good as I thought either. Things like Wimbledon, are only the finals are guaranteed and many of the other protected events are just eh final part. luckily the broadcaster show a lot more :) I watch F1 on SKY as I can't stand Eddie Jordan so I am not too worried about the SKY take over. Mind you if I can't afford SKY in the future I will be disappointed :D

• Like 1

It doesnt work. Everyone sit in the pits waiting for the track temperature to go up, and for the backmarkers to go out and sweep the track.

The fast cars only come out for the last 10 minutes. The whole multi session qually thing is designed to stop all that.

I thought free to air (only has to be highlights) was written into the Concorde agreement?

There can be a pay option for full race coverage, but there should always be highlights

That's what I thought - it was written into the Concorde Agreement that a certain % had to be FTA.

• Administrators

ok so how do I resolve this...

SWMBO likes F1: It's boring enough to fall asleep to;  if she can avoid Eddie & Tyres,  so she does not mind me watching it. I put Aussie V8; dinosaur series :D, on and she hates it, too much going on. Plenty of Rubbing n Racing.

Phase 1 solution: I've moved into our loft.

/back on topic, F1 only on Sky, c'est la vie. Only chance is if I end up working for them, but that's worse on my morale compass than paying them I think...

I have resolved to get myself to one f1 race, probably not a UK one. Only reasons I haven't is the TV coverage is better for the 'action' :) So highlight programs work for me, even with adverts.

• Like 1

ok so how do I resolve this...

SWMBO likes F1: It's boring enough to fall asleep to;  if she can avoid Eddie & Tyres,  so she does not mind me watching it. I put Aussie V8; dinosaur series :D, on and she hates it, too much going on. Plenty of Rubbing n Racing.

Phase 1 solution: I've moved into our loft.

/back on topic, F1 only on Sky, c'est la vie. Only chance is if I end up working for them, but that's worse on my morale compass than paying them I think...

I have resolved to get myself to one f1 race, probably not a UK one. Only reasons I haven't is the TV coverage is better for the 'action' :) So highlight programs work for me, even with adverts.

Sadly I think the Sport needs to Die so all the ego and posturing of the old Guard can disappear. It will then become niche and cost less to attend, then and only then might we see a resurgence of the sport on Free to Air and the fans will be back and even the casual viewers.

Apparently the GB GP will be shown live on a free to view sky channel and all highlights will be on that too.

I guess come 2019 I'll have to start making more use of my NowTv box to watch some races, particularly when the 24 hours coverage can be timed to include some premiership football matches as well.

http://f1broadcasting.co/tag/ratings/

I don't "get" the switch to Sky is BE trying to kill F1 off.  According to the link above 2.7m watched but only 0.6m on Sky. (and well down on last year)

It is rather telling and probably accurate reflection of how bad the sport has become that the BBC could probably rerun highlights of previous years and get a million viewers but Channel 4 and sky would fail to get that number for any of this years races.

Apparently the GB GP will be shown live on a free to view sky channel and all highlights will be on that too.

But the rumour is that although it will be a FTV sky channel it will be only available on Sky. (Sky only has Pick TV  / Sky News on terrestrial )

But the rumour is that although it will be a FTV sky channel it will be only available on Sky. (Sky only has Pick TV  / Sky News on terrestrial )

We will have to wait until the details are announced. I guess it could be a free channel via the NowTV box.

Sky (& BT for that matter) often make their normally subscription channels open to non payers.

There have been a few occasions this year where BT Sport has been free to view for some rugby matches, obviously as a way to entice in new customers.

They would just open it up to all but I guess if you haven't already got SKY (like me), it would be difficult to actually watch and so not much help!

That was my understanding also, there was mention of it when the BBC passed SKY part of their original contract and switched to a live/highlights coverage. Its a shame as the new F1 CH 4 show looks like being decent coverage, I guess we have a few years and Bernie could change his mind again, several times, before then.