Bent alloy road wheel

Thanks to Birmingham City Council's pothole creation department, my nearside front Themisto road-wheel is bent.  I'm not sure if these are forged or cast, but either way I wonder how safe the wheel now is for continued use.  My tyre dealership has re-balanced, realigned  etc, but the distortion is slight but enough to cause vibration at speed.

Locally, there is an outfit that can straighten alloys (for £55) but I'm not sure how safe it would be further stress the grain structure of the wheel.  Steel would of course be no problem!

I'd be glad of any advice.  A new Themisto is about £380.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks to Birmingham City Council's pothole creation department, my nearside front Themisto road-wheel is bent.  I'm not sure if these are forged or cast, but either way I wonder how safe the wheel now is for continued use.  My tyre dealership has re-balanced, realigned  etc, but the distortion is slight but enough to cause vibration at speed.

Locally, there is an outfit that can straighten alloys (for £55) but I'm not sure how safe it would be further stress the grain structure of the wheel.  Steel would of course be no problem!

Thanks in advance.

I had this problem recently and got a new genuine one here

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/superb-themisto-alloy-wheel-18-inch-2008-2013-21074

£165 plus £25 postage

Thanks in advance.

I lost my front tyre and alloy on my SI, took measurements photographs and quotes from nearby house on how much noise and how long those holes had been there and reported it to the council. Ironically they had repaired the hole in under an hour!. It took three months, standard time scales but they paid for a new wheel and 50% for a new tyre which was fair due to its wear.

• Like 1

I had a wheel damaged by a pothole, stopped took photos of potholes and rims , they paid 700 quid

Mine was Monmouthsire Council. Was yours Newport City Council and more than one wheel? If so you were lucky.

Either that or see if you can claim the cost of a new wheel from the council.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/pothole-claims

Frankly, I'd do that anyway. I had success a few years ago with Kingston Council for wheel and suspension damage to out MKI Superb, so do it mate - you've nothing to lose....

Oh yes, getting the wheel streightend is perfectly OK. A friend of ours got one of his irreplaceable Campag rims from his Ferrari 400 sorted and it was perfect.

Edited by numskull

They have a drain that runs across the road , it was probably part of the edge drainage before they skewed the road to fit in extra toll booths . It had drain access covers every 50 metres or so and one had been dislodged leaving a tyre sized hole about 20 cms deep in the road which my offside tyres hit . Took the precaution of taking lots of photos of cover and damage and a video of where it was in relation to the booths. Sent them the bill from the garage along with photos and they paid up. They changed the drain cover design there shortly afterwards . So the lesson here is to take lots of photos from different angles

Edited by peterposh