re tension TDI aux belt?

corndog

Hey folks. Got some noises coming from something on my TDI aux belt. I'm wanting to take it off and check the AC compressor, tensioner and alternator.

i'll likely be doing a timing belt change in the next few months so i don't want to fit a new aux belt to only have to replace it when i do the timing.

I've seen it written that retensioning belts is a bad idea. what do you guys reckon? I know they are pretty cheap but it seems silly to replace it twice if i work on it now

Thanks!

What noises are you getting?

You might drop lucky and it's just a old belt that's gone hard.

Common thing on these is the alternator pulley,has a clutch in it which knackers up.

That's what i want to hear! Alternator does seem a bit too loud so could well be the clutch in it. Got a busted refrigerant pip so i never put the AC on. I'm thinking that could also be a bit knackered from not being used.

MPG is not quite what it used to be so hopefully it's just something on the aux belt

Thanks guys!

I've changed a few of the alternator clutches/pullys now, somtimes they come off no problem, other times they can be a right pain and had to grind most of it off.

if you remove the belt, try and twist it one way and then back the other way quickly and see if you can hear or feel it spinning inside, if it just feels solid it could well be that.

sorry to jump on your thread but is the tensioner easy to change as the wheel on mine is squeaking and is driving me nutts

You need a special tool to remove and refit the pulley, costs about £50.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

sorry to jump on your thread but is the  tensioner easy to change as the wheel on mine is squeaking and is driving me nutts

The tensioned is fairly straight forward to change. No special tools are required. Once the top boost pipe is off and swinging the fuel filter out of the way there is enough room. One 13mm bolt at the top, one underneath. A whole lot easier if you lock it in the open position with a pin or suitable drill bit.

The tensioned is fairly straight forward to change. No special tools are required. Once the top boost pipe is off and swinging the fuel filter out of the way there is enough room. One 13mm bolt at the top, one underneath. A whole lot easier if you lock it in the open position with a pin or suitable drill bit.

That's great thank you

• Like 1

I don't know why I read tensioner as pulley. It's been a long day.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a plastic pattern part because VAG only sell the tensioner assembly complete with pulley, it's held on by a left-hand threaded bolt. It's a cheap fix, I removed mine, flicked out the bearing seals, then cleaned and regreased the ball race. Still nice and quiet.

• Like 1