Choice of New Car - Superb SE-L 150ps 4x4 or Octavia Scout 184ps 4x4 DSG

First time posting to the forum.  Would appreciate anyone's opinion and views.

I am currently in the process of choosing a company car and have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Superb SE-L Executive 150ps 4*4 c/w Space Saver Wheel/Heated Windscreen/LED Plus/Smart Light Assist/Tow Bar/Colour Maxi Dot/park assist.

Octavia Scout 184ps 4*4 DSG c/w Space saver wheel/Tow Bar/Heated front seats/heated windscreen/parking assist.

I will be using the car for towing a caravan hence the reason for the 4*4 and tow bar.

My dilemma is do I go for the superb (which is more luxurious and higher spec'd) or would it be preferable to go for the higher powered scout with the dsg gearbox.  I have never used an auto for towing before but have heard it makes life easier and removes the risk of clutch burnout.

Apologies if this is not the right forum but i have been following the Superb III forum for a while as I thought I was definitely going to be going for the superb until someone mentioned the option of the Scout.  A secondary issue with the superb would be the lead time.

Thanks for your help.

D.

Two questions before advising - why Scout instead just Octavia Combi 4x4 and second - have you tried DSG as such? Towing is one thing, but you have to like it also in normal everyday driving. 

I would go for Superb III anyway. It will be way more comfortable than Octavia (which is old model by now allready). Also Superb has Haldex5 (not sure about Octavia - Haldex4?). 

Superb any day. Why do you need 4x4 for towing a caravan?

4*4 for 2 reasons.  Increases the kerb weight which provides a better match for the caravan. Also to provide better traction on slippy caravan sites.  Have been driving SUV's for my past couple of cars and like the 4wd for winter driving also.  Personal preference I guess.

Two questions before advising - why Scout instead just Octavia Combi 4x4 and second - have you tried DSG as such? Towing is one thing, but you have to like it also in normal everyday driving. 

I would go for Superb III anyway. It will be way more comfortable than Octavia (which is old model by now allready). Also Superb has Haldex5 (not sure about Octavia - Haldex4?). 

The 184ps DSG 4*4 is only available in Scout or VRS trim.  The attraction of the scout over the superb is that my company car allowance allows me to go for the more powerful automatic engine.

I believe both use Haldex 5 but would not be 100% sure.

I think the Superb is either 150 (manual) or 190 (DSG) if you want the 4x4, the 150 DSG isn't a 4x4

If you can afford it go for the Superb anyday over the Octavia which is older design

I think the Superb is either 150 (manual) or 190 (DSG) if you want the 4x4, the 150 DSG isn't a 4x4

If you can afford it go for the Superb anyday over the Octavia which is older design

Yes the superb is only manual in 150ps 4x4 guise.  Cant afford to go for the 190 DSG 4x4.  So the plus for the scout is getting the 183ps with DSG gearbox.  Trying to decide is it better to go for a more powerful auto engine or for the class and luxury of the superb. 

How much do you tow?.

If you tow a lot maybe the Octavia would suit you better, if you only tow a few weeks/weekends a year the Superb would be my choice, I think its the better everyday option.

Even if choosing between a manual Superb and an auto Octavia, I would take the Superb, no question.  You could really regret going for the Octavia and missing out.  How often do you tow?  I can't see how 340nm of torque wouldn't do the job unless you are towing a huge caravan.  The new Superb is larger inside too, as well as being of a higher build quality and much more refined.  There is the higher spec as you mentioned as well.

Seeing as it will be a company car, any remaps would be out of the question. The discovery of said remap would cause grief with the lease company and your employer. Avoid. 

Personally, I would suggest the Superb as the standard kit is superior to the Octavia. It's a different class of car and will be better on those long caravanning jaunts. No disrespect to the Octavia, my wife has one and it's a great car. 

The CR150 will be more than adequate for towing, provided it is well within the towing limits of the vehicle of course. 

Excellent choice of options for the Superb by the way. Can you stretch to a reversing camera? Invaluable when hitching up the 'van! There is a specific mode for this when a tow bar is fitted. 

A = tow bar

D = Draw bar

post-6717-0-66510100-1453211795_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dstev2000
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks.  I am a novice tower and hence trying to match the vehicle as best suited to the caravan.  The caravan's max weight is only 1335kg so I do believe the 340NM would be more than suffice.  I currently tow with a Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4x4 First edition (manual) which i think only has 320NM of torque and it tows grand.  

Rechecking the weights it seems as though the 4X4 superb (because of the increased payload capacity) would actually push my combined weight to 3570kg which is too great as I only have a B licence.

An alternative would to get the 2wd version of the superb (could get this with the dsg gearbox). Would you miss the 4wd while towing?  Only ever towed with 4wd so dont know any different.  Is an automatic better for towing in your experience?

Thanks for the replies folks.  

An alternative would to get the 2wd version of the superb (could get this with the dsg gearbox). Would you miss the 4wd while towing?  Only ever towed with 4wd so dont know any different.  Is an automatic better for towing in your experience?

I think the 2wd will be fine, remember the DSG models come with fancy electronics for traction which will be good 99% of the time. The only time you could get a problem without the 4x4 is very greasy grass in some caravan parks. You are unlikely to notice it on the road assuming you don't try flooring the accelerator for a racing start (unlikely if towing)

With all respect to Octavia, SIII is car from different planet :-) It has so big improvemet from SII, that gap between Octavia and Superb is bigger than ever.

So I think you will somehow survive those grassy fields with 2WD (it has XDS+ by the way). But you will enjoy SIII every day, not only camping day.

Edited by LS108
  • Like 1

My dad towed for best part of 20 years from 1.6 petrol Cavaliers to Audi A4 quatrros and everything else in between.

FWD will be fine to be honest, I have ordered a tow bar on my 150 2.0 tdi S3 Combi as i will be towing the caravan at some point..  Car Max weight is 2070kg, which allows me to tow upto a caravan of 1430kg on a Class B.

Are you thinking Hatch back or estate ? if camping/ caravaning, also think of that extra space on the S3.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Folks,

All the above has been very helpful.  I am going down to the dealer this afternoon to look at the options but in my head i have now settled for the 2wd Superb 150 DSG Hatch.

Spent a good lot of time looking at the options last night and the Superb just seems a much better car.  As you say I think i would regret going for the octavia when I have a chance for the superb.  Will sacrifice the 4wd as it probably is only used a few times a year, if even.

As i will be changing from the manual to dsg should i add in the wheel with paddles (i am going to keep all original options as op)?  Has anyone any experience with these?

Thanks again.

D.

• Like 2

The DSG Paddles seem to split in two camps, some like them and use them regularly on B roads for fun, others realise the DSG box is great and let it do the work so paddles don't get used.

Personally, when I've used a car with them, I found I used them very rarely, remember you can also move the gearstick to side and use that to change the gear, the paddles are effectively a duplicated control that's located near the steering wheel.

Folks,

All the above has been very helpful.  I am going down to the dealer this afternoon to look at the options but in my head i have now settled for the 2wd Superb 150 DSG Hatch.

Spent a good lot of time looking at the options last night and the Superb just seems a much better car.  As you say I think i would regret going for the octavia when I have a chance for the superb.  Will sacrifice the 4wd as it probably is only used a few times a year, if even.

As i will be changing from the manual to dsg should i add in the wheel with paddles (i am going to keep all original options as op)?  Has anyone any experience with these?

Thanks again.

D.

I use them all the time. Not only when pushing on in grin mode but also when I just need a lower gear.... Just a slight hand movement with the paddle  rather than having to take your hands off the wheel and lets face it in the scheme of things its only a few quid...

• Like 1

The DSG box has tiptronic so you can drive 'manually' by flicking the gear lever up and down. So all the paddles do is, as Nick says, allow you to change gear without taking your hand from the wheel.

Personally I found that because I have been driving cars since they didn't even have syncromesh gears ( :giggle: ) I find it that my instinct is to go to the lever. Thus I rarely used them on my previous car and didnt spec them on the S3. I havent missed them.

Nick of course has a 280 petrol red devil and keeping your hand on the steering is probably prudent driving. The 150 diesel is, however, a different beast.

hth

• Like 3

hehe.... Unfortunately most of the time the Mrs is in the car.... This changes the 280 petrol red devil into the equivalent of a 110 diesel ;-) 

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 3

Went down to look at the cars today. I cannot believe I was trying to compare the 2!! It has to be the superb any day of the week.

Now just to decide on colour. Thinking moon white with Pegasus wheels!

• Like 2