So, I have picked up a 58 Octavia 1.9 TDI 105BHP DSG Elegance this week. 

I am really impressed with the fuel economy.

My first £20 has given me 180 miles (Filled up at 104.9p/Litre).

A full tank then cost me £51 and I have driven 45 miles and the range is telling me 600 miles left!!!! Which, I am assuming it means 400 miles till the light comes on. 

I find this amazing! Is this what others find?

Driving 50/50 motorway (most of it in standstill traffic with 50% @ 30mph start/stop) and inner city.

Unfortunately the onboard computer (OBC) cannot always be trusted.

The only accurate way of calculating fuel economy is to do a manual calculation.

Brim the fuel tank, reset the trip meter and then run it as close to the reserve as you can. Refill and note the number of litres used and the mileage.

Then use a site like this...

https://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

The 1.9 PD105 is a good solid engine renowned for being pretty frugal too, so the fuel economy is likely to be good, just often not as good as the car likes you to think it is  :sun:

• Like 1

I would echo what silver says.

Remember the price of fuel has plummeted recently. Not so long ago your 180 miles would have cost you £30 of fuel. So 180 miles on £20 of fuel is 43 mpg.....which is actually not that great unless you exclusively drive in town, in which case 43 mpg isn't bad.

• Like 1

also the fuel light will come on way before the end of the 'miles left' On my Golf it used to come on at 60 miles left, not sure about the superb but the red line seems higher up on the gauge so it may come on sooner

IMO the PD 105 is one of the best TDI's out there along with the 130, it might not be as powerful as the 2.0's that replaced it but it was a reliable and economical lump with no stupid DPF to worry about.

Edited by SuperbTWM

You need to do a far more accurate measurement of fuel consumption before you obtain figures that actually mean anything. Something like total mileage from full tank to fuel tank over at least 3 tank fill-ups or 1500 miles.

615 miles before the fuel light went on in my 1.9tdi Octy II last weekend, whereupon it cost me just under £50 to fill the tank up. I'm pretty damn impressed considering that 1/3rd of that was on twisty A roads in North Wales as well, which doesn't help the MPG. It is, without a doubt, the best fuel economy i've ever had on a car. Mind you, of the 20+ cars i've owned, only two have ever been acquired with fuel consumption in mind..

• Like 1

My best ever was across North Wales and back on a day when I hit no traffic lights or other hold-ups. I achieved just over 70mpg measured by brimming the tank.

That was in my2006 1.9tdi. I don't think my new 2010 one is quite as good.

Mind you, I do wonder whether the mileage reading might not be a little bit out to make the speedometer read a bit over the actual speed (as they do).

• Like 1

Ah, well I have done my first full tank for £51 (@104.9p/litre), so I will check to see how good it is. 

I have a 80 mile round commute every day, with most of it in start stop traffic and a lot of time spent stationary. 

I drive at 2500 RPM on the motorway when I eventually get the clear chance on cruise control. 

I would be hoping for anything over 450 miles from the tank, which I am hoping will be possible. 

I can see that if it was a long run at 60/65mph, then 600 miles could be achievable.

Lets see how long my tank lasts, but I know for sure it will be better than my 2.4 diesel that I had. £67 tank returning 420/430 miles.

Edited by sr100

Very happy with my 1.9 PD105 DSG.

If we just do mainly town runs and short trip we get about 500 miles out of a tank.

I have calibrated my trip computer (actually under-reads now by a tiny amount).

We can drive from York via Dover and all the way to Germany (the Mosel) on one tank.

This was our most recent trip to Germany. This was as we pulled up at the hotel in Dover having driven from York.

302 miles driven with an estimated 455 remaining;

20150919_183554_zpsgxe0d2df.jpg

Which showed as 58.6mpg:

20150919_183602_zps0hck9ej3.jpg

By the time we'd got to the Mosel and driven at 100mph a bit on the Autobahn and driven up a steep road to get to the petrol station we had done 677 miles and the remaining miles just went to 0.

And in the UK I kept to the speed limit where I could (the 50mph average zone on the M1 probably helped a bit) and through France and Holland we just had the cruise control on at 120 or 130km/h depending on the current limit.

Very impressive. I even managed about 35mpg after a couple of Nurburgring laps!

Edited by Phil-E

Also considering it only has 105 bhp it never ceases to amaze me just how well it does shift.

Was up in the howardian hills earlier today and it was fun. It pulls very well from low down and just effortlessly pulls itself along.

The 2.0 PD140 must feel even better in this regard but I'm happy to sacrifice some performance for economy even having come from a PD130 Seat Cordoba.

Done just over 10,000 miles this year all done at full tank loads and at few time towing caravan. Result is 44 mpg over this time. My computer has said on several trips I have got 60mpg and once only 70 mpg , and the other way 25mpg, 32mpg pulling 1340 klg. As said it all comes to average of 44 mpg.

Also considering it only has 105 bhp it never ceases to amaze me just how well it does shift.

Was up in the howardian hills earlier today and it was fun. It pulls very well from low down and just effortlessly pulls itself along.

The 2.0 PD140 must feel even better in this regard but I'm happy to sacrifice some performance for economy even having come from a PD130 Seat Cordoba.

If you think it drives well now try getting it remapped.

My Golf mk5 PD 105 (with remap)was probably the best car I've had to drive, it could of done with a 6th gear for motorway but because it wasn't as high geared as my Passat that followed, or the superb I have now you didn't have to change down into 2nd for lowish speed corners, you could just go round in third and you didn't feel like you were laboring the engine at all. 

The 2.0 CR 16v is totally different, while the bottom end torque sub 1500rpm is not as good, top end they go a lot better than the PD and absolutely fly on the motorway.

Yes I've been thinking for a while about getting a remap. Think I would go for a shark remap.

Not sure how the gearing compares to manual but obviously the DSG has 6 gears.

It's no where near as high geared as the Cordoba was but never felt it needed another gear.

To make a comparison to my Superb, 5th gear on the golf was more like 4th gear on the Superb 

It was great for accelleration, put your foot down on the motorway at 70 and it would pull like a train right until you got to over 4k and about 120+ MPH ( on my private motorway of course)

I bet its a lot better with the 6 speed DSG but there is too much to go wrong for my liking

Very happy with my 1.9 PD105 DSG.

If we just do mainly town runs and short trip we get about 500 miles out of a tank.

I have calibrated my trip computer (actually under-reads now by a tiny amount).

We can drive from York via Dover and all the way to Germany (the Mosel) on one tank.

This was our most recent trip to Germany. This was as we pulled up at the hotel in Dover having driven from York.

302 miles driven with an estimated 455 remaining;

20150919_183554_zpsgxe0d2df.jpg

Which showed as 58.6mpg:

20150919_183602_zps0hck9ej3.jpg

By the time we'd got to the Mosel and driven at 100mph a bit on the Autobahn and driven up a steep road to get to the petrol station we had done 677 miles and the remaining miles just went to 0.

And in the UK I kept to the speed limit where I could (the 50mph average zone on the M1 probably helped a bit) and through France and Holland we just had the cruise control on at 120 or 130km/h depending on the current limit.

Very impressive. I even managed about 35mpg after a couple of Nurburgring laps!

This is really impressive.

Something must be wrong with my car then, as my fuel gauge is showing the same position as yours and I have only achieved 235 miles from it so far. So i am 70 miles off, but i'm assuming that that is because, out of the 235 miles, 135 miles were motorway either in start stop traffic or when i get the chance at 65-80 MPH. Plus the weather is much colder and is more like -1 degree this week, compared to the 16.5 degrees your maxidot is showing. 

I guess I will not know entirely until I get through a few tank fulls, but I can see if I did entirely motorway driving, I think 550-600 miles could be achievable in better conditions. I think I might make 500 miles on this tank before the reserve light appears, which will still be impressive. 

(PS. I do have 87k on the clock, so may not be as efficient as yours?)

Edited by sr100

Yes that run was with no stop-start driving at all and only one stop at a motorway services.

The cold weather (and winter diesel) make a difference.

Like you say it's still good to get over 500 miles out of a tank as you were getting less on a bigger tank in the old car!

If anything with a few more miles on the clock the engine will be looser and be able to get good economy.

As long as it's well serviced and with a fresh air filter then you should be fine.

Also has your gearbox had it's scheduled oil and filter change at 80k miles? (should be done every 40k).

Phil

Car has full Skoda History and was serviced 700 miles ago. Has been done every 10k miles. 

I couldn't find a tick of the transmission fluid change, so I have booked it in with the Dealer at the end of the month to get changed. £180.

The last car was a Volvo S60, with the best ever seats! They were so comfy, but I had to opt in for something a bit more fuel efficient as I am considering to undertake a Private Hire career part time. 

So far I am impressed with the 105bhp engine, but it is much slower than the 185bhp that I had. Thinking about the remap, but I don't want to compromise on fuel economy. 

I wish! Most of my miles are short urban trips. From £15 of Momentum 99 I got just over 80 miles, which I think is about 22 MPG :(

Car has full Skoda History and was serviced 700 miles ago. Has been done every 10k miles. 

I couldn't find a tick of the transmission fluid change, so I have booked it in with the Dealer at the end of the month to get changed. £180.

The last car was a Volvo S60, with the best ever seats! They were so comfy, but I had to opt in for something a bit more fuel efficient as I am considering to undertake a Private Hire career part time. 

So far I am impressed with the 105bhp engine, but it is much slower than the 185bhp that I had. Thinking about the remap, but I don't want to compromise on fuel economy. 

It may even improve efficiency, unless you start booting it about.  

Edited by planehazza