Don't you just love the winter pack!

Thanks for that...... winter pack is not for me until Skoda catches up with VW and offers that system where you see nothing. Nice info when i come to buy a used VRS.... if it has winter pack then i will look for another :)

The heated screen on the VW golf may be impressive but for me it's seriously let down by the fact that VW won't let you order one unless you also spec the advanced phone prep. This takes the total cost of both options over the £600 mark, making it an overpriced non necessity in my book. The wires in the heated screen on my vrs are visible, but in fairness they don't trouble me at all like they do some other forum members. More than good enough, and without the overinflated price tag.

I have the winter pack and thus heated seats, bu the passenger seat appears to remain cold when switched on until someone sits on it. Other marques with heated seats do the same, so I assumed this is the case - of course it may just not feel warm unless sitting on it - but I think it is sensitive to weight just as the seat belt sign is

They do seem to heat up to some extent but its not until you compress the layers within the seat that you start to feel the warmth, I don't think there is a pressure switch for it but i may be wrong

Really, you want to scrape ice and keep demisting the screen because it has some visible wires?...... I can assure you that having had a Ford and loving the heated screen, it was one of the things I missed on my MkII. It is a bit expensive for the limited cold weather we get, however on the few days it's required, it's worth every penny. As for the visible wires, it's not much different than my old Mondeo.

As I understand it, they invented the tech and the patent lasted for a certain number of years before anyone could make it.

I've seen it fitted to a 1960s railway engine and I've seen reports of it being fitted to aircraft for many years.

Until last summer it wasn't even available on 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 petrol Octavias. Even if it had been available I would only have ordered if I could get it without the heated seats. As we've only had half a dozen frosty mornings this winter and I usually cycle to work I've not missed it from my 12 year old Focus.

Yep. Love the heated screen and seats. Love not having to scrape the ice and it's really useful clearing condensation quickly (and driving off whilst work colleagues are still sat in their cars with the heater on).

I don't notice the wires when driving.

The heated screen on the VW golf may be impressive but for me it's seriously let down by the fact that VW won't let you order one unless you also spec the advanced phone prep. This takes the total cost of both options over the £600 mark, making it an overpriced non necessity in my book. The wires in the heated screen on my vrs are visible, but in fairness they don't trouble me at all like they do some other forum members. More than good enough, and without the overinflated price tag.

Reason being is the metallic layer inhibits cell signal penetration....in order for your phone to work properly in the car you really need to keep it in the phonebox in the armrest.

People would soon complain if they had the screen without the advanced prep.

Reason being is the metallic layer inhibits cell signal penetration....in order for your phone to work properly in the car you really need to keep it in the phonebox in the armrest.

People would soon complain if they had the screen without the advanced prep.

Yes I was aware of that. My point was really intended as my dislike of having to pay over £600 to get a heated screen on the Golf. There shouldn't be any need for this to be the case as in my opinion the heated screen in my Octy does the same job perfectly well and VW allow you to have this version of the heated screen in the Passat for about a quarter of the cost of the combined options in the Golf. The fact that I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket every time I get in the car also means the cheaper screen is more practical for me day to day.

I'm also sceptical as to how much the climate screen actually inhibits phone performance as there is plenty glass on the other three sides of the car with no metallic layer. This just seems blatant profiteering to me by VW on its most popular model.

The Superb has the metallic screen doesnt it?

No one there has reported any bad effext on cell phone reception. And Im quite sure I read a thread where this subject was discussed and testet.

Pity it isn't standard really in colder countries, I had heated seats and screen in my Mondeo Ghia X but couldn't get either on my Octavia, as I couldn't wait months for a factory order after some idiot wiped out my Mondeo and very nearly me as well. Even the heated seats would have been nice, I've got a £10 heated seat cover from Lidl permanently on my car seat, elegant not but pretty warm! When/if I make my mind up whether to buy my car at the end of the PCP deal I might well get heated seats fitted to both front seats, not worth doing if I'm going to hand it back or trade it in.

• 1 year later...

I've just taken ownership of a 2013 Octavia. However the winter pack wasn't advertised when I travelled across the country to collect it (along with electronic folding mirrors, full size steel spare wheel and inbuilt Bluetooth). A nice bonus and I'm sure I'll be more grateful once we've entered the winter months. 

1 hour ago, hpoct said:

I've just taken ownership of a 2013 Octavia. However the winter pack wasn't advertised when I travelled across the country to collect it (along with electronic folding mirrors, full size steel spare wheel and inbuilt Bluetooth). A nice bonus and I'm sure I'll be more grateful once we've entered the winter months. 

That must have been a nice surprise! My heated screen and seats haven't been on for months now, but it's an absolute godsend when it gets cold outside!

Welcome too! :)

I miss my heated windscreen of my old car; my Octavia doesn't have it, bought second hand at 9,000 miles.

I feel like a dirty peasant outside in the cold hacking away at the frost, something I hadn't done for nearly a decade  :dull:

On the plus side I have found a tool to help me and my peasant toil out in the cold, a bit pricy but very good, I recommend it. 

I remember having a heated windscreen on my brand spanking Ford Sapphire Cosworth in 1988.  It was a revelation!  Can't believe it's not a standard feature now, nearly 30 years later.

Wish I still had that car now.  They seem to go for massive money.  I had it 20 minutes before I got my first speeding ticket and totted to a ban inside 2 months.  Happy days!!

Wouldn't be without the winter pack...  Only have to scrape one car now, by the time I've done that mines defrosted and all toasty! :D Though I'm not sure I've noticed the heated washer jets do anything? :wondering:

16 hours ago, Keith64 said:

Wouldn't be without the winter pack...  Only have to scrape one car now, by the time I've done that mines defrosted and all toasty! :D Though I'm not sure I've noticed the heated washer jets do anything? :wondering:

Heated washer jets just keep themselves from freezing, and nothing else.  Kept an eye on that for last two winters - before the penny dropped ! There's not enough surface area or power available (or feasible!) to do any more than just keep the nozzle de-iced.

• Like 1

My first car was a 2001 Focus. Heated windscreen was amazing and I was surprised they didn't come standard on modern cars. Bought the winter pack because I wasn't prepared to go backwards. My old focus had wires in the window so wires in the Octavia window wasn't an issue. Only complaint is that the Octavia heated area doesn't go as close to the sides as my old Focus did.

Heated seats and mirrors are great but a heated steering wheel option would have been amazing. Ford offer them I think.