Fabia vrs at 140k with no smoke at all?

pat101

Perish the thought that that or anything else might actually improve something in any way, shape or form. I'm in tune enough with my car to know when it's consistently quieter at least. I'm not naive enough to think it has given any power gains, nor did I expect it to. Suppose you'll be recommending supermarket fuel next, don't think I'd fall for that one either

I like it when people argue that all fuel is the same just because premium fuel for from the likes of 'Shell' and supermarket fuel is made in the same way at the same refineries.

I think the argument is a lot stronger for diesel owners than petrol though. I don't mind my partner filling up with supermarket unleaded in a 1.6 Qashqai if its significantly cheaper as its going to perform the same and not cause any detriment to the engine.

Diesel on the other hand I wouldn't because I fear the lubricity of the fuel may not be as good and shorten the life of the diesel pump. I'm unsure if there is any evidence to support this as its hard to prove unless you get 2 identical cars and did a comparison but more often than not people agree and i think there has been a trend at time with fuel pump failures due to cheap fuel. Maybe i'm just paranoid but in any case the Shell garage near me is closer than a supermarket and isn't that much different in price

• Like 1

I like it when people argue that all fuel is the same just because premium fuel for from the likes of 'Shell' and supermarket fuel is made in the same way at the same refineries.

I think the argument is a lot stronger for diesel owners than petrol though. I don't mind my partner filling up with supermarket unleaded in a 1.6 Qashqai if its significantly cheaper as its going to perform the same and not cause any detriment to the engine.

Diesel on the other hand I wouldn't because I fear the lubricity of the fuel may not be as good and shorten the life of the diesel pump. I'm unsure if there is any evidence to support this as its hard to prove unless you get 2 identical cars and did a comparison but more often than not people agree and i think there has been a trend at time with fuel pump failures due to cheap fuel. Maybe i'm just paranoid but in any case the Shell garage near me is closer than a supermarket and isn't that much different in price

And that's why I use the millers, not for any gains, but to give the system a helping hand and perhaps increase longevity of the pump and injectors. If I had v power diesel round here I wouldn't bother, but I don't, so I do

My car has done 240,000 miles since I bought it new in August 2006. Only myself and SWMBO have ever driven it and we only ever use supermarket diesel. The car was rolling road tested in 2007 and did 148bhp. It was rolling road tested in 2014 on the same rolling road and it made 147bhp. The engine (touch wood) is sound.

It has 23 Skoda main dealer stamps and I'm onto the second service book because the first one is full.

If you believe that Redex, Millers, Slick 50, 2 stroke oil or any other additive that the manual specifically advises you not to use gives you a benefit, then great. But it's not adversely affected my car because I've not used it. It's also not adversely affected any other Diesel car I've ever owned. And I've had a few.

There is such a thing as the placebo effect. It's VERY real. You want it to make a difference so guess what? It does! I'm sure it doesn't do the engine any harm adding whatever it is.

Edited by wja96
  • Like 1

Perish the thought that that or anything else might actually improve something in any way, shape or form. I'm in tune enough with my car to know when it's consistently quieter at least. I'm not naive enough to think it has given any power gains, nor did I expect it to. Suppose you'll be recommending supermarket fuel next, don't think I'd fall for that one either

Please don't take it to heart. It was intended as a light-hearted wind-up. If I caused any offence I apologise unreservedly. It was not my intention to be anything other than witty. If I failed, then I'm very sorry.

• Like 1

I dont notice any difference when i use redex, My car was parked up for over a year so i thought i would run some redex through the system to help clean it up a little bit before changing the fuel filter.

The bottle clames to help remove deposits etc etc not make the engine run quieter, add bhp or make it smoother. It was £2.80 from halfords over christmas and had enough to do 4 tanks.

Might do nothing but at least i tried to :thumbup:

• Like 1

My car has done 240,000 miles since I bought it new in August 2006. Only myself and SWMBO have ever driven it and we only ever use supermarket diesel. The car was rolling road tested in 2007 and did 148bhp. It was rolling road tested in 2014 on the same rolling road and it made 147bhp. The engine (touch wood) is sound.

It has 23 Skoda main dealer stamps and I'm onto the second service book because the first one is full.

If you believe that Redex, Millers, Slick 50, 2 stroke oil or any other additive that the manual specifically advises you not to use gives you a benefit, then great. But it's not adversely affected my car because I've not used it. It's also not adversely affected any other Diesel car I've ever owned. And I've had a few.

There is such a thing as the placebo effect. It's VERY real. You want it to make a difference so guess what? It does! I'm sure it doesn't do the engine any harm adding whatever it is.

I know what a placebo effect is, and as said above I'm not using it for gains, just cleanliness and lubrication of the fuel system, and it has helped my car run quieter and that's not a figment of my imagination. What I also know is that some diesel I put in at Morrisons did not agree with the car, and that's why I bought the millers to get that stuff through. I have some left, so I'm still using it. Whilst I don't doubt that supermarket fuel has always been fine in your car, I'm happier putting in an additive when using branded diesel that isn't premium which is rare in these parts. I also know that v power made a big difference to my octy and saab that I owned, so as v power diesel isn't available I'll stick an add in for equivalence. These conversations about benefits, skepticism, placebo, gains and running will always roll on and never seem to end at the moment. Live and let live I say, after I've finished with this bottle I'll try plain shell for a while, and if I notice a difference, I'll get some more and stick it in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone with higher mileage on their vRS? What major work has it had done over the 240k and it'd be interesting to know which VW spec oil the car has been run on over the years?  :thumbup:

a 1.9 PD100 Skoda superb used to come into work for regular servicing etc, that had around 260,000 when he traded it in, it was getting problems with the gearbox so was time to get rid.

it was on its original turbo, although the oil seals were leaking so the boost pipes dripped quite alot.

it had 2 clutchs and 2 dual mass flywheels.

thats about it for major work, rest is just the usual, tyres, discs, pads, caliper, throttle pedal, window regulator.

Edited by hutchysrs50

A work colleague has a 53 plate fabia with over 200k on the clock. He still on the original turbo and clutch. He services it himself every 10k and has only had to replace console bushes and arb bushes when needed

I know what a placebo effect is, and as said above I'm not using it for gains, just cleanliness and lubrication of the fuel system, and it has helped my car run quieter and that's not a figment of my imagination. What I also know is that some diesel I put in at Morrisons did not agree with the car, and that's why I bought the millers to get that stuff through. I have some left, so I'm still using it. Whilst I don't doubt that supermarket fuel has always been fine in your car, I'm happier putting in an additive when using branded diesel that isn't premium which is rare in these parts. I also know that v power made a big difference to my octy and saab that I owned, so as v power diesel isn't available I'll stick an add in for equivalence. These conversations about benefits, skepticism, placebo, gains and running will always roll on and never seem to end at the moment. Live and let live I say, after I've finished with this bottle I'll try plain shell for a while, and if I notice a difference, I'll get some more and stick it in.

Not wanting to start or contribute to another " this fuels better than that thread!! " however....

I do consistently get 30 miles per tank more when using v power or ultimate diesel rather than Morrisons diesel.

The car has a hybrid and supporting mods and also produces next to no smoke at full chat running with v power or the BP ultimate.

It doesn't feel any quicker or more responsive, however the difference in cr@p out of the rear is like night and day

Anyone with higher mileage on their vRS? What major work has it had done over the 240k and it'd be interesting to know which VW spec oil the car has been run on over the years?  :thumbup:

I have a completely unrealistic view about looking after cars. I maintain my vRS in as near as I can manage to new condition. It had the standard suspension replaced with Koni FSD/Eibach springs at 65,000 and again recently because they were feeling saggy. The original brakes were replaced at 80,000 miles with 312mm Audi TT fronts and 288mm Octavia vRS rears. The turbo was swapped before the original turbo failed at about 120,000 with an xman750 supplied PD130 Garrett hybrid but the car wasn't remapped. The clutch was done between 120,000 and 130,000 as I was going to get a remap, then didn't. The glow plugs were all replaced at about 200,000 miles. It's always been Skoda serviced. The last 20 services being done by Robinsons in Norwich who now do all my work. They're quite happy fitting "performance" parts and they're aware the car has all the various mods fitted so they know to order in the right parts when required. I'm sure they're a bit expensive compared to an independent but I'm very happy with my car and it's mechanical condition.

Cosmetically, I have the car deep detailed by Kelly Harris and his team at KDS in Gillingham. He's definitely not cheap, but he's the only detailer I know who does proper invisible stone chip repairs in the price he quotes for a detail.

I genuinely doubt anyone loves their vRS more than me. It was my first company car when I set up my company in 2006 and while I've had faster and more comfortable cars, I've not had one that did EVERYTHING as well. My current allroad is better in many ways but then again, that was a £57,000 car when it was new.

• Like 1

High mileage don't always = smoke. 

I find with diesels you need to drive them hard a few times a week to blow the crap out. Otherwise over time they just get so clogged up! It's probably why rep mobiles that spend their lives up and down the motorways not really seeing any sort of revs are usually very badly clogged and smoke a lot. 

Mine never used to smoke either and that made good power, but it was half the mileage lol. Mileage don't matter on these, most consider 'high mileage' to be like 180-200k plus also lol. Think there's a taxi round near me with 300k on the clock with a PD130 in it and it's still going! Don't sound too healthy mind but it works and pulls ok. 

What rep cars have you been seeing. Most I see are driving badly, normally too fast but I'd never accuse them as being clogged as being a problem quite the opposite.

The cars to worry about are the ones that aren't on the motorway, hence don't get the revs. Normally old peoples cars, or young peoples cars that don't ever go on motoroways to drive the cars properly as they were intended.

I have a completely unrealistic view about looking after cars. I maintain my vRS in as near as I can manage to new condition. It had the standard suspension replaced with Koni FSD/Eibach springs at 65,000 and again recently because they were feeling saggy. The original brakes were replaced at 80,000 miles with 312mm Audi TT fronts and 288mm Octavia vRS rears. The turbo was swapped before the original turbo failed at about 120,000 with an xman750 supplied PD130 Garrett hybrid but the car wasn't remapped. The clutch was done between 120,000 and 130,000 as I was going to get a remap, then didn't. The glow plugs were all replaced at about 200,000 miles. It's always been Skoda serviced. The last 20 services being done by Robinsons in Norwich who now do all my work. They're quite happy fitting "performance" parts and they're aware the car has all the various mods fitted so they know to order in the right parts when required. I'm sure they're a bit expensive compared to an independent but I'm very happy with my car and it's mechanical condition.

Cosmetically, I have the car deep detailed by Kelly Harris and his team at KDS in Gillingham. He's definitely not cheap, but he's the only detailer I know who does proper invisible stone chip repairs in the price he quotes for a detail.

I genuinely doubt anyone loves their vRS more than me. It was my first company car when I set up my company in 2006 and while I've had faster and more comfortable cars, I've not had one that did EVERYTHING as well. My current allroad is better in many ways but then again, that was a £57,000 car when it was new.

You take good care of the vRS! Even at 240k I'm sure it'll still have plenty of life left if you keep up with the high maintenance...

What spec oil do you use, 505.01 or 507.00 and how often do you do oil changes? 

Warm it up, cool it down. In between times, give it laldy to clean it out.

Service mine every 9K, occasionally, I'll do it earlier if I'm just about to go on a driving holiday. It's now just turned over 111K miles and doesn't smoke at all even on full chat through the box.

I bought her at 60K, I'm not gloating or complaining, I try my best to maintain it in the preventative rather than reactionary mode. OK, it might be slightly more expensive but so far so good, she still pulls like a train.

So much so that at twelve years old I'm struggling to think what to replace her with. The only reason that I'm even thinking that at all is that I'm now at the stage of losing anything I spend on the bodywork in diminishing returns. I'm thinking that I'll need to get an agreed valuation with the insurance company soon as her trade value is not a fair representation of what she's actually worth because I'm so OCD with it.

I used to work for Henry's Skoda in Glasgow and I've seen PD engineed taxi's run to 350K with what amounts to routine servicing and consumable replacements, I remember one customer's taxi went to 500K before he traded it in, and he only did that because he was forced to, his local authority had age limits on their taxi's. The point is, if you look after it these engines and cars they just keep going...and going.  :happy:

• Like 3

You take good care of the vRS! Even at 240k I'm sure it'll still have plenty of life left if you keep up with the high maintenance...

What spec oil do you use, 505.01 or 507.00 and how often do you do oil changes?

It goes to the Skoda dealer in Norwich every 10,000 miles and they service it to schedule. They know very well that the smallest defect pointed out because I will pay them well to put a new bit on. They absolutely do think I'm nuts as they used to say "but I wouldn't bother" and now they say "I know you'll want it done so I've booked it in for next Friday". They also know not to wash it unless they're going to do it and not leave any scratches on it. As for what oil is used I suspect they'll use whatever oil is in the big blue barrel marked "Quantum".

The key, in my opinion, to the car's being reliable over such a high mileage is that it gets used. If you think about it, it's averaging 24,000 miles per year. Most people go mad for low mileage but it's starting and turning off the engine while it's barely warm that kills them and that's exactly what most people do with their cars. If you want a car to drive 5 miles to work, buy a small petrol engined car. That sort of use kills diesels. And most people don't want a car to do 250,000 miles. They just want 3 years reliable use out of it. So they get conned into buying a low mileage used car that the previous owner abused with short journeys and never serviced properly because the service schedules are set for people like me doing mega miles then ditched it the instant it became troublesome. I say it over and over again, when people sell cars they are not passing on a cherished heirloom, they are getting rid of something they don't want anymore. And very often they regard something they don't want anymore as rubbish and that's exactly how they treat it until they get rid of it.

• Like 2

I'm thinking that I'll need to get an agreed valuation with the insurance company soon as her trade value is not a fair representation of what she's actually worth because I'm so OCD with it.

That's a very good point as my car is probably worth about £500 in trade terms. And I spend that annually just on detailing the paint and refurbishing the alloys SWMBO seems utterly intent on destroying.

• Like 1

That's a very good point as my car is probably worth about £500 in trade terms. And I spend that annually just on detailing the paint and refurbishing the alloys SWMBO seems utterly intent on destroying.

What is it with women??? They have no mechanical sympathy at all. My Missus can be just as bad. Drives her own car carefully, ('cos she loves it), but doesn't seem to give a damn about mine. Kerb, what kerb??  :@  Makes no difference how often I ....comment.... she just carries on regardless! Is it any wonder my hair is white, what there is left of it that is?

• Haha 1

What is it with women??? They have no mechanical sympathy at all. My Missus can be just as bad. Drives her own car carefully, ('cos she loves it), but doesn't seem to give a damn about mine. Kerb, what kerb??  :@  Makes no difference how often I ....comment.... she just carries on regardless! Is it any wonder my hair is white, what there is left of it that is?

There is a car park in Norwich (Intu Chapelfield) that has ludicrously high kerbs and if you just touch them they wreck your rims. It's not really SWMBOs fault, these kerbs are just killers.

There is a car park in Norwich (Intu Chapelfield) that has ludicrously high kerbs and if you just touch them they wreck your rims. It's not really SWMBOs fault, these kerbs are just killers.

Do they move then? Have they got flick-knives?

• Like 1

Do they move then? Have they got flick-knives?

You may laugh, but they're horrific. And it's REALLY dark (it's a multi-story underground car park).

You may laugh, but they're horrific. And it's REALLY dark (it's a multi-story underground car park).

They can be a pain in a multi-storey when going up and down ramps puts them out of sight. All the same, bill her for a refurb and colour change ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1