New Tyres (FRONT) Rapid

I've done just over 20,000 miles on my Continentals now from new - 215/40/17. They are starting to look fairly worn now!

Been on tyre reviews

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/17-Inch-Tyres/215-40-17-Tyres.htm

Any of the top 10-15 there would be a decent tyre? I hear the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are meant to be good! Any other suggestions?

Also, anyone aware of any other tyre sites, I know theres black circles etc.

Edited by Matt17121991

Rainsport 3's review really well apart from wear rate.

Quite a lot of winter tyres in that top 15 - and "Landsail" at #2?? kinda suspicious that one I'd say.

Also lots of other tyres available in that size but not on the reviewed list.

Look at the most recent group tests on that site as well.

Edited by camelspyyder

Ive only done 1500 miles on mine but will prob replace with michelin pilot sports as they are generally the best performance tyres. It should get rid of the understeer im seeing with the dunlops. Ive seen them for £110 fitted locally each so not cheap but should be worth the extra. http://m.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-3?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I think the SportContact/ P7 / F1Asy / Pilot Sport are all total overkill on this car.

It has a high ride height and so-so handling at best - I don't think Ultra Performance tyres are needed - unless you're going the sport suspension route and can put up with making the ride even firmer.

Which Online says the following (using nearest size)

Best Buy 225/45 R17 tyres Tyre make Dry braking Wet grip Fuel use Wear Price TOTAL SCORE Continental ContiSportContact 5 4star_red.gif5star_red.gif4star_red.gif4star_red.gif £96 69% Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 5star_red.gif4star_red.gif4star_red.gif4star_red.gif £90 67% Pirelli Cinturato P7 4star_red.gif4star_red.gif4star_red.gif5star_red.gif £88 67%

Neither SportContact 5 or F1 Asy 2 are sold in 215/40R17 (the Rapid's 17 inch option). Old P7 may be available but don't review well from what I've read.

Vredesteins would be my favourite when I need 4 new ones - I've rotated the Contis to even up the wear.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna replace ours with Uniroyal rainsport 3 as they looked a good wetgrip/fuel economy for the price, when read reviews (and I also heard locally) that the tyre walls are relatively thin compared to some makes... 

If you live somewhere where potholes or poor surface conditions are common this may be worth taking into consideration? - we have a huge problem in Argyll with road surfaces and punctures! 

• 2 months later...

last year i put the pirelli p7 on the front , hated them so much road noise so yesterday i had to change the back ones so i put the p7's on the back and got avon zv7 for £65.73 each and wow so much difference is noise i can hardly hear them at all , most times its not worth paying more for better as there are not better..

Been a while since I had Avons on a car, but when I did they were both very good and keenly priced.

That said, the Michelin CrossClimate all-weather tyres are doing very well for me on the Rapid now they've really been scrubbed in. So much quieter than the Dunlops and very good in the wet.