Pathetic Rear Wash wipe

In the past few days it's gone from something that cleans the screen properly to an insipid dribble - I've tried cleaning the jets but it doesn't seem to have made any difference (and they aren't the easiest to get at unless your 6ft 13".

Fluid is getting to the jets and nothing seems to be leaking into the boot, so any ideas about how to better access the jets to check them out - they appear to be an integral part of the wiper arm

Assuming you have the hatchback and not the estate and if it is anything like the MkII then you need to open this cover, it is hinged...

$_1.JPG

Which reveals the washer jet (renowned for getting blocked), it literally pulls off. Drop it into some boiling water mixed with vinegar overnight and give it a good rinse and blow...

$_1.JPG

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hi guys

Just to add to the rear wash wipe debate. My car was bought brand new in May this year. I noticed almost right away that the rear wash wipe was rather sluggish in operation. It reminded me of my previous MK2 octavia which had the same issue and ended up needing a new motor fitted (very common problem with that version). 

During a recent heavy bout of rain I noticed again that the rear wash wiper was getting slower at sweeping than I remembered so i booked in to my local dealer for a look. Low and behold they diagnosed a faulty motor and it was replaced under warranty. I just hope this is not a repeat of the issues with the MK2.

• 3 months later...

It's hinged ! From the small end.

It just lifts up from the fat rear part of the cover then carefully you can remove the cover if necessary. Helps to pull it apart /wider a little bit to get it off.

The jet bit just tugs off (side to side motion if you prefer ).

Just my 2 cents to the topic - don't use vinegar, but rather citric acid instead. Some elastomers are damaged by vinegar, while citric acid is rather safe.

Well the most useful thing I found was physical cleaning, using a bread tie stripped down to its metal components and straight, works well. As I'm sure a paper clip unless very small, wouldn't fit.

Although combined also with clearing out what residue it had pushed out into the mechaism, using a tissue compressed into the assembly and a lot of wiping around.

( you can't just rinse under the tap, the part isn't big enough to receive the pressure ).

Not sure when but it subtly started working at some part. No fireworks, I didn't even realise but it does get dark quick. Hardly any sound so I had to get the wife to shine a torch on the screen or operate it while I looked to be sure it was even working.

Doesn't put out anything like the amount of water my Fabia does, and it does it in the same line of travel as the wiper so its very difficult to tell its actually doing anything ! But its definitely cleaning the screen ( a bit !).

Probably something best left to check in bright daylight. What a stunning design.

You can do it !

Edited by vRSAnt

And use a decent screen wash concentrate 'suitable for fan washers' will cover all the bases. Was in Lidl yesterday and disappointed to only see ready for use diluted stuff , 5l for £5.

What exactly constitutes a decent screenwash? I've called BS in the past but there does appear to be some truth in it!

My drivers side front squirter half works and my rear wash wipe is abismal!

What exactly constitutes a decent screenwash? I've called BS in the past but there does appear to be some truth in it!

My drivers side front squirter half works and my rear wash wipe is abismal!

As above in my reply 'suitable for fan washers' . From practical experience clearing semi blocked jets. 

As above in my reply 'suitable for fan washers' . From practical experience clearing semi blocked jets.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out!

• 4 years later...

Hi All 

Recently had my Octavia MK3 in for service and was told on collecting the rear pump was gone and would need replacing 50 euro plus, Having read up about the wiper/pumps on this site and in particular this post, I decided to take a look for myself 1st i could hear the pump in front working away and pumping water, then tried rear wiper/ and could hear the same but no water so i assumed it was a blockage and Not the pump, Did what a few suggested here removed the small little black squitter thing and put into vinegar and hot water with some liquid soap and let it soak. Also used a very fine needle and i was amazed at amount of dirt /grim that came out.

while it was soaking i tried the wiper/pump again and after few seconds washer water started to pop out. reassembled squitter bit and all working fine now only took few Miuites to remove and same to replace, saved me few pounds ,

So Big Thank You to All here very helpful stuff and some satisfaction in knowing that you have helped others on here,,,  Thanks Again to all

• 2 years later...

Hi folks 🙂 

Apologies, this is a bit of a long post, so please bear with me ?

Could someone please post a photo or a video to show me how to fix the "pathetic rear wash/wipe" (perfect description!) of my 2017 Mk 3 Octavia saloon? The member called Silver1011 kindly posted a couple of photos, but these do not seem to be visible for me...

When I operate the rear wash/wipe, I can hear (what I believe to be) the rear water pump (if there is one at the rear ?), but there is no water whatsoever at the back. The front wash/wipe works very efficiently, and there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir. I hateto think that my car is being rusted away from inside the chassis somewhere.

It's a pain in the what-not when I have to stop in a lay-by and clean the rear windscreen... More than that, though, I want to be safe and see what I need to see (and not be pulled over by the cops for having a dirty rear windscreen...).

Also:

Could someone please tell me if there is a recent (i.e. 2017>) Haynes manual for my car ? I can't seem to find one that recent... I know that there is an online version, but I much prefer an actual physical book... it doesn't smash when you drop it on the ground !

Lastly:

My local Skoda dealership is asking for £660 to replace the cam belt. This has now exceeded the statutory 5 years, so it needs done. I think that this kind of repair will either work, or it won't. Has anyone on this site had their cam belt repaired by a non-dealership garage, and was it OK - or did you need to buy a new engine ? My trusted independent garage have offered to do it for abour £480, if memory serves... so I wonder why my local Skoda dealership is asking £660 for basically the same work (as far as I am concerned). Anyone care to pitch in, please ?

My local dealership was so incompetent that it took them 3 years - and intervention from their CEO - to figure out how to stop sending me letters and emails and texts and phone calls, pestering me to join them at their sales events... year after year... so I definitely would not trust them to do anything as critical as replacing a cam belt!

Thanks in anticipation, for any and all help ! :-)

What engine do you have?  The timing belt advisory replacement has been changed. It's no longer 5 years. There are threads on here about it. 

There is only one washer pump which does both ends.

This is one of them.

Hi Ords - thanks for your very helpful and fast feedback ! That's definitely going to help a whole lot :-)

My Skoda is a 997cc petrol model.

• Like 1