"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

Few options you could consider

If in good nick get your arches rolled (something id like done but would need major metal surgery at same time)

You can get spring helpers which fit between your coils, designed for trailer and caravan towing but have a use in the modified world too.

Get a small amount of your wheel hub milled away but only if you would have enough left over to not cause strength issues

Or this option which is get some wear on those tyres and go for a falken next time lol

• Like 1

thanks for the advice.... been thinking on the options.... these NS2 track tyres are 310mm wide, even though they are still 225/40/18's.... my winters come in on the sidewalls from the rim so would miss the arch.... don't want to go back to the federal track tyres as they keep deforming... a change of tyre may be a necessity,but i don't want to do that either, these tyres are awesome!

helper springs are a possibility I suppose, Think I may have been sent the -30mm kit, I only wanted the -20mm kit... can't remember asking when I ordered them!

may just see how i go on, rarely I have 5 people in like i did today.... there isn't really any damage to the tyres, just a little "polishing", will see what my tame mech says at MOT time...

may have to miss the carousel at the nurburgring :(

I'd get a lighter set of 17s on there, but that's just me!

Or in terms of what's possible for you, with least cost/hassle, why don't you just raise the height slightly on the new setup? Especially as it's likely to have settled a bit, since fitting.

• Like 2

mmmm all good solutions.... but loose my big 310mm wide track tyres that give so much grip .... nurburgring coming up in Sept!

a cheaper solution , AND allowing me to keep the big fat grippy tyres...... roll the arches.... wont take much , should cost a gazillion times less than new wheels/tyres ect ..... 

we will see ;) 

• Like 1

would that be easier and less costly? surely that would mean new springs, I took months saving up for this suspension :( and the time taken to get into the suspension would cost more right? I couldn't just replace the rear springs, this is a matched and designed set, two different rear springs would ruing the balance.... even if I could find "helper" springs, the cost again to buy and install would be prohibitive :(

(Going to work in the Eunos this week!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

Sorry mate, my mistake - I thought the kit you bought was height-adjustable :crying:

nope, I went for a spring/damper kit, in the hope of keeping it comfy (which to be fair it is! lol...)

• Like 1

https://www.towsure.com/towing-spring-assisters?gclid=CM7lrZGQiNQCFakV0wod3DUM3Q

Heres the things I was talking about, cheap but will upset the balance as I guess they would up the spring rate, thats if you can find a pair to fit between your coils

Before you roll the arches get your plastic liners trimmed back I little as that might give ya the gap needed, on the other hand might give ya metal on tyre

Also dave who measured your tyres at 310mm wide? 225 is the width in mm so if were saying 235 on the rim that would make sense but a 12" wide tyre on a 8" rims abit odd

6 hours ago, OutlawKen said:

Also dave who measured your tyres at 310mm wide? 225 is the width in mm so if were saying 235 on the rim that would make sense but a 12" wide tyre on a 8" rims abit odd

26 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I did think the same thing, about the tyre width - then forgot to post about it :) 

They are 225/40/18's,RR kept correct,  but NS2-R's are known to have a wider patch, the 310mm is from Nankangs own information.... you can see it, because the winters actually come in on the sidewalls and they are the same size (the wheels 9 inch wide) and these NS2-Rs have straight sidewalls on the 9 inch wheels....

track tyres...

IMG_0316.jpg

winters..

IMG_2200.jpg

I'm willing to bet the winters wouldn't catch....

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

Oh and Ken, good advise there, I'll have a look at the plastic liner.... after doing a run at the weekend with 5 people in and stuff in the boot, it catched a couple of times, and you can see the mark on the tyre, but it hasn't damaged it, hasn't even worn the little bobbles on the tyre side ... maybe a look at the the inside edge of the arch is in order!

I will hand it to my tame mech to sort, because it needs new front brake hoses, some performance pads and fluid before the ring trip.....

• Like 1

I think nangkang are including the side walls in the measurement cos 310mm is huge, your not wrong that they are wider but they aint 12 inches wide. That side once your back from the ring with a report on them they maybe on my shopping list

• Like 1

The NS2 is certainly a squarer tyre, most more track orientated tyres are, to cope with higher cornering forces. 

So I get why these would catch where other tyres in the same tyres might not. But they can't be the equivalent of a 310; it's not a Lambo ;)

25 minutes ago, Wardy said:

The NS2 is certainly a squarer tyre, most more track orientated tyres are, to cope with higher cornering forces. 

So I get why these would catch where other tyres in the same tyres might not. But they can't be the equivalent of a 310; it's not a Lambo ;)

lol... true.... I have just thought about the actual numbers and I'm being stupid ;) swore i saw it on a table on the nakang website!

but deffo a bigger contact patch... Ken, I will let you know after the ring... I cannot find the limit on the road, I would be arrested! I always used the federals before, but the last 2 sets have effectively gone oval and I have had to throw them before they wore out.... hopefully these will stand up to abuse better! I will report back ;) 

I'm not ****ing driving round the outside of the carousel though, (have to just throw it into the camber! lol)  i will have to sort the rubbing issue, after the suggestion of the arch liner, i have had a poke under, and there is LOADS of plastic arch liner that would be the first touch of the tyre... the actual arch seems well clear :) 

• 3 weeks later...

suspension has settled, happy with the ride height :) 

IMG_0691.jpg

also fixed my rear speaker issue, swopped out old for new.... not that you can tell the difference! it worked though, i have decent sound back now :)

IMG_0692.jpg

• Like 2

well, thankfully nothing major, they scanned it, and no issues (apart from anomalous readings due to remap!)  changed a coil pack (using the spare i carry with me, knowing 1.8t problems!lol) and it fixed it! it was blowing lots of nasty black smoke out on tickover ... now cured!

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 2