New Fabia 'running in' advice please

RickW

I pick up my new Fabia on 1st March but could do with some advice re running it in before I get it.

I'm thinking of going on a nice run in it on the day.

I've read some conflicting views on this but the AA's advice seems to be the one I would follow.

What are your experiences of running in a new Fabia engine? What should I definitely do or not do?

All advice welcome,thanks.

Edited by RickW

We followed Skoda's advice.

Taken from the Skoda Fabia III owners manual.

Driving in the engine
The engine has to be run in during the first 1 500 kilometres. During this period,
the driving style decides on the quality of the driving-in process.
During the first 1,000 km ,we recommend not driving faster than 3/4 of the
maximum permissible engine speed, not to drive at full throttle and not to use
a trailer.
In the range of 1,000 to 1,500 kilometres, the engine load can be increased up
to the maximum permitted engine speed.

• Like 1

Enjoy the car.

Run in / Drive in the car as much as the engine.

The new tight brakes, bearings, suspension, tyres etc,  give them a chance to get the newness off them, the engine will be fine getting 

an easy life while you do.

Check your tyre pressures, reset your TPMS, check the wheel bolt tightness, the fluid levels 

and listen out for noises that should no be there for a couple of tanks worth of fuel, then the car will be run in.

• Like 3

theres conflicting views regarding this.

I believe in taking it easy and slowly building up to 1000 miles is hit. No redlining, not much full throttle. Not cruising at a set rpm on the motorway for too long etc etc

Yet a certain R owner i know believes in redlining from day 1. Giving it a hard time and getting the bores and piston rings really hot so they go together better.

Dont really agree with his way myself, seems wrong and he doesnt keep his cars long enough to know if theres any effects further down the line

I do know my Fabia doesnt use a drop of oil though. 26k on the clock now.

• Like 1

I believe in taking it easy and slowly building up to 1000 miles is hit. No redlining, not much full throttle. Not cruising at a set rpm on the motorway for too long etc etc

Yet a certain R owner i know believes in redlining from day 1. Giving it a hard time and getting the bores and piston rings really hot so they go together better.

Dont really agree with his way myself, seems wrong and he doesnt keep his cars long enough to know if theres any effects further down the line

I do know my Fabia doesnt use a drop of oil though. 26k on the clock now.

Sounds more like common sense to me than redlining it.

I'd feel very uncomfortable thrashing my new Fabia around like that,and it's not how I would normally drive anyway.

Sounds more like common sense to me than redlining it.

I'd feel very uncomfortable thrashing my new Fabia around like that,and it's not how I would normally drive anyway.

I agree.

But thats his 'theory'

I have also been in it when its been redlined right from cold too. Which was cringey.

Not sure where hes got the theory from. Some forum somewhere

Over many years I have followed the advice of knowledgeable engineers on all my vehicles many of which have covered mega mileages. Never had any engine problems.

The advice was what Skoda recommend, posted by Pauldazzle. Have always, wherever possible, used premium oils and fuels.

Ryn.

Never known an engine to be damaged from keeping RPM's down when running in, but I've known a few that were ragged when new that later on became oil guzzlers or suffered catastrophic engine failure.

My Audi was run in correctly, & 13 yrs & 227k later uses no fluids between 9k services. VAG filters & Quantam oil have always been used.

That's the trouble they are all "views" rather than accurate facts backed-up by evidence e.g. "I had a mate that did this..........etc, etc"

Best advice follow the manual; no arguments with Skoda then ;-)

Regards Bob

• Like 1

That's the trouble they are all "views" rather than accurate facts backed-up by evidence e.g. "I had a mate that did this..........etc, etc"

Best advice follow the manual; no arguments with Skoda then ;-)

Regards Bob

No arguments with skoda anyway. The revs arent recorded and nore is the oil temp etc.

If it breaks because you put your toe down too far, it would of anyway and isnt really fit for purpose.

So do as you like really. Its your car :D.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

We could do a forum survey.

Members that bought a Ex Demonstrator that was with a Dealership for 3 months / 3,000 miles minimum before being sold, 

Management car etc, 

and then kept it for a long time and had no problems or lots of problem can post their experience.

It is highly unlikely that car from first registered to 3,000 miles was 'Run In' or ' Driven In', or given much of an easy first 1,000 km.

Maybe not even had its oil checked before being resold, and probably never run on anything other than the cheapest fuel.

Obviously it is no indication of anything, 

but we do know a mates brother in law that only ever thrashes a car from new.

Only thing is, usually it is a Lease car or Hire car and seldom one bought as a Keeper with their own money.

(It might be the 12,000 mile used car we buy though.)

I wouldn't be too precious with it, but nor should you 'rag it' from day one.

I don't tend to follow any specific types of driving in a new car, but follow a couple of basic principles ALL the time: Always let the engine warm up thoroughly before doing any heavy acceleration and always allow the engine to idle for a minute before switching off (if it's a turbo engine) when it's hot and particularly in motorway service stations after 'making good progress' prior to the stop.

Doing occasional bursts of acceleration and taking the revs close to the red line won't do any harm providing the engine is thoroughly warm.

Honest John suggested that the best run in cars are hire cars, as they nearly always get treated quite hard from new. Not sure if there was any evidence to back this theory up or not.

• Like 1

Rick, is yours going to be petrol or diesel? The reason I ask is because diesel cars are harder to run in than a petrol engine. They need to be 'driven' a bit harder than a petrol engine to bed in the pistons and rings to the bores. The diesel fuel itself acts as a lubricant as you drive and instead of the pistons and rings struggling to keep lubrication from being washed away from the bores, pistons and rings, the diesel fuel actually baths everything in total lubrication. Diesel fuel is so good at lubricating it actually makes it harder to get that all important metal to metal contact to run in the bores and rings. It's the main reason a diesel engine lasts so long. It suffers much less engine wear than a petrol engine over it's lifetime due to the actual diesel fuel being so good. Petrol actually is a solvent, as you know, and tries to wash the oil away from the pistons, rings and bores causing more wear. This works in your favour when running in a petrol engine. It makes it a bit easier. All you need to do is pay attention to the Skoda handbook and make sure you just avoid full throttle too early at low miles, but overall just drive it fairly normally. Don't hold a steady throttle setting when cruising trying to get good miles per gallon as that is very bad for the engine when running in. It causes cylinder bore glazing and she will never then reach full power and mpg potential and may also use oil later. Therefore, avoid using cruise control if you have it until the motor is mostly run in. Vary the speed and throttle setting lots, loading the engine more and more as the miles go on. Let it warm up properly first before pushing down on the throttle hard. That way the oil will be warmed up and the important metal to metal contact between piston rings and cylinder bore will happen more easily to 'wear' the engine in (run in). Don't over think it, just enjoy the new car. Good luck and post often. 

• Like 2

Thanks,it's a petrol engine (1.2 DSG).

Lot's of great advice everyone,keep it coming! :sun:

Keep an eye on the coolant level mine dropped below the word minimum the garage topped it up for me. If possible try to not let them fill above the centre of the coolant container (the thick plastic band between the 2 halves of the container) that should give room for expansion without blowing off any excess fluid. Had mine done about 4 months ago just checked it. It's between the max and min so that's ok Joe

Never known an engine to be damaged from keeping RPM's down when running in, but I've known a few that were ragged when new that later on became oil guzzlers or suffered catastrophic engine failure.

My Audi was run in correctly, & 13 yrs & 227k later uses no fluids between 9k services. VAG filters & Quantam oil have always been used.

Does anyone know what oil Skoda use when servicing the 1.2 petrol Fabia?

It normally will be 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life III to VW 504 00,  For Variable servicing, and they use the same for fixed servicing.

So likely Quantum,  might be Castrol.

Ask them.

PS

When you collect your car and check the contents, look for a complimentary 1 Litre bottle of Oil in the boot,

if there is not one ask the Salesperson if they forgot to put it in the boot for you.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

It normally will be 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life III to VW 504 00,  For Variable servicing, and they use the same for fixed servicing.

So likely Quantum,  might be Castrol.

Ask them.

PS

When you collect your car and check the contents, look for a complimentary 1 Litre bottle of Oil in the boot,

if there is not one ask the Salesperson if they forgot to put it in the boot for you.

Thanks for that.

While I remember,what make of tyres are being fitted to Fabia's at the moment? Mines ready in just over two weeks and i'm interested to know.

Ours came with Bridgestone Turanza's which are loud on many road surfaces, but at least from our past experience with them on our Seat Ibiza 1.2TSi FR they do last for 25k+.

All the Fabia's in our main dealer at the time that we bought our car had either Bridgestone or Dunlop fitted.

My Rapid SB SE sport 1.4tdi was delivered 3 weeks ago with 7 miles on the clock, , I have driven it like any other car and completed 240 miles on a long run yesterday.

My belief is as long as your not red lining it 24/7, just drove it normally / as you would and it will be fine.

But then... I don't run cars into the xxxk miles..

I wouldn't be too precious with it, but nor should you 'rag it' from day one.

I don't tend to follow any specific types of driving in a new car, but follow a couple of basic principles ALL the time: Always let the engine warm up thoroughly before doing any heavy acceleration and always allow the engine to idle for a minute before switching off (if it's a turbo engine) when it's hot and particularly in motorway service stations after 'making good progress' prior to the stop.

Doing occasional bursts of acceleration and taking the revs close to the red line won't do any harm providing the engine is thoroughly warm.

Honest John suggested that the best run in cars are hire cars, as they nearly always get treated quite hard from new. Not sure if there was any evidence to back this theory up or not.

I often find 'Honest John' talks single fish.