OBD connector on MkIII

Hi all. GearBest are having a "European Warehouse Clearence" and have very good prices on 3rd party HUDs but they all seem to require a OBD connection whatever that is.

Can anyone advise if the MkIII

a) has one ?

B) it's location ?

c) safe to use ?

Anyone used such a device before?

TIA.

The OBDII connector is the car diagnostics port used by garages to check all of the on board systems.. You need to check that what is on offer is the Type 2 and not the earlier (and now obsolete) OBD port.

Yes the car will have one as standard, and Gizmo will be along as the expert on these things - well where it is and what it can/can't do.

Edited by FelisBengalensis
  • Like 1

The OBDII port is just above the throttle pedal (standardised location now) it’s the purple connecter next to the footwell light.

Depending on the size of connector you may need a 90° adapter so you do not catch it with your feet.

The OBDII port is just above the throttle pedal (standardised location now) it’s the purple connecter next to the footwell light.

Depending on the size of connector you may need a 90° adapter so you do not catch it with your feet.

Thanks for the info guys, at the price they are offering them at on GearBest I may just for it. They do have the type 2 on there by the way...

I can't imagine that an OBDII-connected HUD would be more useful than Maxidot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by fj604
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, kenmarlow said:

I have a 2018 Superb.  Just ordered a Carista OBD plug.  Is it permissible to leave it connected, or do I have to remove it?

Thanks in anticipation!

You can leave it connected, but I'm not sure why you would necessarily want to do that (it glows red too when it is connected into the OBD port, which might be a little annoying).

• 3 years later...
On 08/02/2016 at 20:40, Gizmo said:

For those thick, like me, the purple cover slides off towards the centre of the car (with a bit of effort).

1 hour ago, King John said:

For those thick, like me, the purple cover slides off towards the centre of the car (with a bit of effort).

How old is your car? 
covers are not normally over the port. 

9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

How old is your car? 
covers are not normally over the port. 

+1

mine does not have a cover.

the port itself is purple in colour.

18 hours ago, King John said:

Purple cover?

you’re not talking about the terminal locking tab are you?

that does not and should not come off