MOTs looming - F1 autocentre?

Brit24

Got 2 cars due for MOT in a couple of months.
Usually get them done next to my work for about 48 quid eachfrown.gif.

F1 autocentre are offering MOTs for 19.50!!! Too good to be true?
Is it highly likely they will rip me off by finding faults that don't need to be addressed?

Yep,  no such thing as a cheap MOT.

A "cheap" MOT , means a place looking for reasons to fail, and make up in repair costs what it looses in MOT fees.

• Like 3

Yes, Highly likely - to the O.P.

My local F1 charged me for alignment extra's, of which should have been included in what I had ordered and paid for on the internet (a few years ago).

I told them there and then, but they would not budge, and fobbed me off.

I had to pay to retrieve my car.

I then had to contact their head office, who told me to contact the area manager, and eventually I received a refund of £40. I had to go into the garage to collect it though.

I will never trust or use them again due to this, and the (almost) couldn't care less attitude of the area manager. How dare I question them, who do I think I am.

They didn't say this, but they may as well have.

Find a local garage that you trust, recommended by family, friends or neighbours, get to know them and stick with them.

Just passed mine with only a nod to a tyre. 11years old and 120k miles.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

Yes, Highly likely - to the O.P.

My local F1 charged me for alignment extra's, of which should have been included in what I had ordered and paid for on the internet (a few years ago).

I told them there and then, but they would not budge, and fobbed me off.

I had to pay to retrieve my car.

I then had to contact their head office, who told me to contact the area manager, and eventually I received a refund of £40. I had to go into the garage to collect it though.

I will never trust or use them again due to this, and the (almost) couldn't care less attitude of the area manager. How dare I question them, who do I think I am.

They didn't say this, but they may as well have.

Find a local garage that you trust, recommended by family, friends or neighbours, get to know them and stick with them.

Just passed mine with only a nod to a tyre. 11years old and 120k miles.

^^^^

Thanks guys.

I have a local garage next to my work. They've been very good. Timing belt/water pump done on my Peugeot (220 quid) with a 2 year warranty.

They replaced my wishbones on my skoda with cash in hand (60 quid labour), and I got the parts off ebay!

They failed my 2002 octavia last year (no advisories) but only on a worn tyre (it was in very bad shape). Replaced it next door to them on the business park, and then they signed it off as passed in 2 minutes!

Will either go with them or make the journey to Stoke to the Council MOT center.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Will either go with them or make the journey to Stoke to the Council MOT center.

Just bear in mind that if it does fail at the council ran place that they cannot do the work. You would have to make another journey for the free retest, assuming they do offer this.

Depends if it fails and how far away it is.

If you can afford it, go to your usual, pay up and smile, and pat yourself on the back knowing that you are helping to keep them in business. :thumbup: .

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

My car usually gets MOTd at somewhere that one charges £25. They've been fantastic, and only fail it on genuine issues (and don't try and force me to get them to fix it either). 

It's not a big franchise though, so maybe that helps? Either way, if it were me, I'd try with one of the cars and see how it fares with them. If they're good, take the other one, if not, head elsewhere.

Depends on the tester more than anything, yes there's a testing manual but its rare ir gets followed, prime example, took a van in for mot, failed on wiper blades ineffective and park brake performances, our apprentice picked it up, got it back and checked, wipers fine and clear screen as expected and brakes where checked and put in our brake rollers (we have HGV test lane not class 5/7 ) and spot on, took it back for retest and it didn't even get taken into the bay and he wommbles back with a pass certificate, work that out ??!!

Made the mistake of getting the car MOT'd last year by the same franchise that services it.

They failed the car on a windscreen chip which they had previously refused to fix when I bought the car "because it passed the MOT".

They also tried to tell me the two back tyres were dangerous and needed replaced, I got another 12 months out of them and they were still legal.

So I agree with the comments to get it MOT'd by someone you trust whatever they charge for it.

Depends on the tester more than anything, yes there's a testing manual but its rare ir gets followed, prime example, took a van in for mot, failed on wiper blades ineffective and park brake performances, our apprentice picked it up, got it back and checked, wipers fine and clear screen as expected and brakes where checked and put in our brake rollers (we have HGV test lane not class 5/7 ) and spot on, took it back for retest and it didn't even get taken into the bay and he wommbles back with a pass certificate, work that out ??!!

First test a "try on" to see if punter would cough up? Try asking Swimbo ( next time car needs new boots) to take car into a fast fit place and see what they can find "wrong" with it. I had one "experience" when my daughter called out a well known waspish breakdown service, as she was having problems starting car. Jump leads on, car started, then he switched it off and checked oil- low- well it would be ,as oil had had little chance to return to sump. Top up - that would be around £10 a litre. That was refused and after testing battery ( which we'd suspected was dodgy) ,he prepared to leave. Fortunately, we stopped him ,till we'd started car, which after battery test had problems and needed a jump. I felt pity for the breakdown bloke ,trying to con what he thought was an ignorant lass and dad into wasting some cash. What he didn't know is that I've had more engines in bits than he's had hot diners, and daughter is a biker, married to a biker who works on bikes, with her help. So we saw right through his con .

Yep it is petty, we uses to use them all the time, but they put their price right up to £55, where we where paying £30 before but sending minimum Of 2 vans their way a day, but in return we let them use out 60+ton press for wheel bearings, swings and round abouts, so when they put their costs up, we charged them for the press work, and that's when every mit we sent to them failed or got advisory's, fair play if its needed, but when they fail it on brake performance, don't offer a brake test report and then pass it without re inspecting, takes the biscuit if I'm honest, gives garages/mechanics a bad name especially our lads who take more pride in mot passes than there appearances lol

Edited by danny4646