Suspected 1.2 chain rattle - where would you go from here?

JamieWakeham

Morning all

1.2 petrol Yeti with 40k on the clock.  I've just dropped her off with my independant mechanic for service.  When I did so I mentioned that I'd been hearing a funny rattle on start-up recently.  A little googling has convinced me that this is probably the beginning of the timing chain problem.  My mechanic is going to have a look and report back.

Assuming they say that it is indeed the chain, what would you do from here?  I could have them replace it, which would presumably be cheaper than having a Skoda main dealer do it.  But is it worth taking it to a Skoda dealer and asking that they do it - is there still a good chance that I will be able to argue that it's a known problem and Skoda UK should be replacing the chain FoC (or thereabouts)? 

And a side issue - I'm supposed to be driving to North Wales, a round trip of ~500 miles, this weekend.  Is that insanity with a timing chain on its way out, or do these things generally take a few thousand miles or more to finally give in?  The noise only started up a few days and maybe 100 miles ago.

Cheers

Jamie

Why not do both. Take it to your Skoda dealer, if no joy with them re. a contribution, the n get your indie to do it, you obviously trust his work.

Whilst I can understand your concerns re. your w/end trip, it wouldn't stop me. These faults generally show at first on startup only.

I suppose Skoda will deny any responsibility, as you have it serviced outside the network.

I'd have it serviced and then drive to wales without any hesitation.

(Then let my Indy change the cam chain for long term peace of mind.)

Cheers, all.  Wasn't quite sure if this was something that needed to be done immediately, or if I had a little time to play with it. 

So I'll see what my indie says (I have no idea if one can diagnose a stretched timing chain by observation alone?), and also see if the new oil filter deals with the noise.  If not, I'll get it into the Skoda dealer and ask for diagnosis and then a goodwill fix, and if they utterly baulk then back to my indie.

Question - I have absolutely no idea what gets done in each service, as I just hand the schedule over and let them deal with it.  Is a new oil filter done every time?  If not I should ring them now and make sure it gets one.

Edited by JamieWakeham

OK, just spoke to my mechanic.  They agree it is undoubtedly noise from the chain, but they agree not likely to destroy my engine any time very soon.  So off to Wales this weekend, and will get her booked into the Skoda dealer next week.  Thanks for advice, all.

Cheers, all.  Wasn't quite sure if this was something that needed to be done immediately, or if I had a little time to play with it. 

So I'll see what my indie says (I have no idea if one can diagnose a stretched timing chain by observation alone?), and also see if the new oil filter deals with the noise.  If not, I'll get it into the Skoda dealer and ask for diagnosis and then a goodwill fix, and if they utterly baulk then back to my indie.

Question - I have absolutely no idea what gets done in each service, as I just hand the schedule over and let them deal with it.  Is a new oil filter done every time?  If not I should ring them now and make sure it gets one.

You obviously never drove a BMC A series!!

They stretched and rattled from day one, but never seemed to break.

Weather forecast for Wales isn't brilliant for the rest of the week, with rain and probable snow on the mountains. Where are you going?

Edited by Llanigraham

Hee hee.  It's a 10 plate.  Apparently the mechanics, not having heard my conversation with the receptionist (so only told 'funny noise on start up') simultaneously said 'timing chain' as soon as they heard it.

And we're going climbing, probably in the Ogwen Valley or (if the weather looks any better) the Meirionnydd.  Staying in the scout hut in Bethesda.

• 3 weeks later...

We are having the same problem with our 10 plate, 50k, 1.2 Yeti. Took it in to Skoda for its service, mentioned the rattle (I knew what the issue was!). They confirmed the problem, spoke with Skoda who are making a good will gesture towards the total cost. We have to pay £275 in total. I'm sort of ok with that because it hasn't quite a full Skoda service history. I'm also led to believe that if I pay towards the work we get a 2 years warranty on the work completed.

Totally love the car if is slightly underpowered when you want to make quick progress.

Update: survived Snowdonia (bloody cold it was, though)!

Also, have just got back from local Skoda dealer.  The mechanic there took three seconds to agree that it sounded extremely likely to be timing chain, and said that he knew there was a TPI out on this problem. 

I'm now booked in to have the work done in a couple of weeks.  They can't state categorically that SUK will pick up the bill, apparently, but they've told me that they are reasonably confident that they will be able to claim the cost back from them.  Have to admit I am slightly nervous about handing the car over for such a big job, not knowing if I will be paying for it or not, but I don't get the impression they're out to play silly buggers with me.

They did raise an eyebrow at the non-main dealer service history, and sepcifically questioned what oil had been used.  I might go get a statement from my indy that they've used exactly the correct oil.

Will report back.

By 'big' I just meant 'expensive'; I don't know how much this might cost if you were covering it entirely yourself, but the fact that people seem to be grateful that they're only paying two or three hundred pounds for it makes me assume it's not cheap...

Hi, don't quote me on it, but I'm sure I've seen a figure of £700-£800 for a replacement cam chain & tensioners if done by a main dealer. No doubt someone on here will have a definitive price. I think Skoda are paying for all the parts & 50% Labour for our Yeti. I might get to see the costings later this week when our car is fixed by the dealer.

Hi Jamie,

The Yeti went in for the Cam Chain replacement this week. Well I had a lovely surprise when I went to pick up the car. I ended up paying for 30% of the labour & Skoda picked up the rest of the labour & the parts required. The labour cost I payed was just short of £150. The car also needed a set of spark plugs to cure a miss fire that had started on the way to the garage. Total cost £204 all in.

So my workings out put the labour for the job around £450-£500 + the parts which I think are around £200 (not 100% sure of that though).

Hope you get sorted. Cheers.

Right - an update.

Before I managed to take the car to the Skoda dealer, I had an instance of the oil pressure light coming on.  Took advice and had the car recovered to Skoda dealer.

They found that an o-ring in the oil filter had been incorrectly fitted, and there was a leak in there, causing low pressure.  Despite the fact that I told them that the chain rattle had started before I'd had the car serviced, they insisted that the chain was fine and all the problems had been caused by the oil leak.

Predictably enough, I still have the chain rattle.  Worse, the dealer told me that this evidence of poor servicing means I now have zero chance of getting any goodwill payment from Skoda UK.

So, I've just had a very long chat with the independent.  They are horrified, and utterly apologetic.  They are paying my bill from the Skoda dealer, and have also offered to do the chain replacement for me at a price that matches what Skoda would have charged.  I don't think I can ask them for any more than that.  And I do still trust them to do this job - this is the first mistake they've made with my cars in 15 years.

So.  Two questions.  Firstly, if I tell them that Skoda would have charged me ~£250 for this job, that'd be about fair, wouldn't it?

Secondly, I need to make sure that they get the correct, newest issue chain.  Can anyone advise what exact part number they need to get?  I've skimmed several from searching the forum but don't know if they're out of date or not.