Jimmys SE#152

MidWalesVRS

Just had a read through this and looks nice and tidy (apart from the rust but lets hope you manage to get that full respray out of them.

Car looks nice after a few nice subtle mods done to it, even better now that it has had a slight drop.

Just had a read through this and looks nice and tidy (apart from the rust but lets hope you manage to get that full respray out of them.

Car looks nice after a few nice subtle mods done to it, even better now that it has had a slight drop.

Cheers boss! Not quite as exciting as yours but I will get there lol.

It's a different car now it's dropped.. Looks fantastic and handles beautifully. The lights and black grill set the front end off.. a full re-spray would be lovely; but just to get them to sort the corrosion will be good..

Really glad I opted for coilovers as opposed to the kit my wife had bought for me.. they just wouldn't of dropped it enough for me.

:)

Edited by MidWalesVRS

• 2 weeks later...

So.. today saw this!20160402_175307_zpsvqwvcv1p.jpg20160402_175318_zpswtdbivm2.jpg

Love it! Really sets the rear end off, and whilst it's not 'loud', I enjoy the noise it makes from inside the cabin.. New alternator also went on today! Both fitted courtesy of Ant at AP Automotive.

That was the best part of the day.. then I went off to Skoda.

Like trying to draw blood from a stone. I knew it wasn't going to go well when they tried to tell me it was out of its ten year warranty anyway.. I asked how that was so considering it was registered in 2007? They had to go outside and look at the reg.. baffled.

Anyway - it needs assessment, and therefore needs to go to there bodyshop which is in Shrewsbury apparently.. I need to wait for an appointment from them on Monday. They will assess the work including taking depths as they swear blind this is the result of previous bodges.

I hit them up with pictures of another SE, and my friends Octavia - and asked there opinion on whether they thought it could be a build issue, flat out no..

So we shall see what comes of Monday when there bodyshop is back open..

Need to get it poly-bushed and new discs and pads all around sharpish - so that will probably be my next job! Although I'm really keen to get this sorted as soon as possible.

• Like 1

my se has the same rust as did my previous silver fabia vrs, might just be the way i look at it but seemed vw and seat had better protection on the sills with the stone chipping material, my 2003 golf never had one spot of rust on it, i just sort of gave up concerning about it, when it gets really bad ill do something about it

my se has the same rust as did my previous silver fabia vrs, might just be the way i look at it but seemed vw and seat had better protection on the sills with the stone chipping material, my 2003 golf never had one spot of rust on it, i just sort of gave up concerning about it, when it gets really bad ill do something about it

Mine is quite bad though.. and I want to make headway with it now as opposed to later when it'll cost more to fix.

I also lament pouring money into performance, which is going to cost circa 1.3k, when the body isn't right. I prefer show and poke! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you hear back from Skoda about the rust Jim?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Never heard from there bodyshop in Shrewsbury, so re-rang Faintree and got through to someone senior that was more then apologetic and helpful. He asked me to pop pictures into an email and detail the corrosion information and he would get it sent off to Skoda UK.

That was Wednesday last week. So - been told it can take 28 days to get a response..

*Fitted new front Brakes and Discs

*Couldn't fit rears as carrier bolts were solid and corroded! So had to get some bolt removers and will crack on this week.

*Fuel economy was crap this weekend on a trip to Centre Parcs, although I'm convinced that's more my heavy foot that anything! There was a lot of WOT moments. Am convinced however that there is a crap map on the car.. that or I'm suffering from heatsoak on the SMIC.

*Turbos getting siren like!

*DMF is getting worse..

*Noticed a few more scratches!

*Paint on grills chipped away..

Needless to say - not feeling the most love for her at the minute.. hopefully gets me through the next few weeks, couple months!

post-124097-14610126840773_thumb.jpg

Your going to need a angle grinder and new bolts mate. just doing the rear 256mm upgrade on mine and no way in hell the bolts will move. Was a right chew on!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231388117504&alt=web

Those are the bolts you need buddy. Alot cheaper than TPS at nearly 4 quid a bolt!

Edited by kellaway86

20160418_215018.jpg

Your going to need a angle grinder and new bolts mate. just doing the rear 256mm upgrade on mine and no way in hell the bolts will move. Was a right chew on!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231388117504&alt=web

Those are the bolts you need buddy. Alot cheaper than TPS at nearly 4 quid a bolt!

I've got new bolts and hoping the old ones come off with some heat and these Irwin bolt removers I've acquired!

We shall see though - I'm not holding my breath lol.

I just use a power bar with the Allen key and they always come off. Very bloody tight but they always come off.

As said above, don't need to come off for discs and pads anyway :)

All 4 of mine the heads stripped out, even with the allen hammered well in. Yer i hope he is upgrading to 256mm [emoji3] [emoji3]

Bugger about their lack of CS in Shrewsbury. How hard is it for them to upload them onto the system.

Personally I'd be tempted to ring them Wednesday for an update. As you know what they are like at getting back to you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yep, a bit plus gas or wd40 etc around the rear of the disc, around the wheel bolt holes and the centre bore, leave it for 10 minutes and smash it to bits with a mash hammer.

I remember on one car, I hammerd two of my chisels on the top and bottom of the carrier between the disc so it had a lot of constant force pulling the disc away and impacted it a few times and it pulled away.

• Like 1

Had a phone call from the dealership today.. asked if I could pop in so the warranty guy could get all the details he needed for his report.

By the time I had driven to Telford this morning, the car was filthy..

Popped in and met with the warranty chap.. turns out he is fresh to the brand, comes from VW Commercial Vehicles department - and had only worked there a week.

His first comment was 'it's a bit dirty'.. and it was it was bloody filthy!

None-the-less, he told me he would assess it impartially and then what happens, is that he feeds all the details to Skoda UK, and it's for them to make the decision.

He took paint depths and that came back fine, it doesn't look like it's had any sort of work at any time..

He immediately told me that the rear bubbling where the arch met the sill would be deemed wear and tear due to stone perforations.. he also pointed out that the nonstandard alloys were sitting out further than the standard alloys and therefore could be responsible. I did hammer home that these were modifications were made by me and the corrosion was noticed when the car was completely standard.. I showed him pictures of the car standard - and he seemed to accept that.

The spot where the rear bumper met the rear quarter panel wasn't really discussed, but he said the rear bumper looked like it sat too far away from the rear quarter panel, and that debris had either lodged in there; and or there was debris/foliage between the rear wheel arch liner and panel.

Either way - he said in his opinion that Skoda would dismiss both of these.

The sill corrosion however - he said was beyond him. Both sills are intact, no jack damage. And he said that as it was both sills, and the full length of the car - he said I'd stand a good chance of them looking into it.

He now compiles a report which goes off to Skoda. If Skoda say no, that's where it ends. They don't apparently say yes either. If they deem that it needs further assessment - they send an independent assessor out, who is separate to the Skoda group.

If he says yes - then they take the work on.

I'm not getting my hopes up if I'm honest! I was shut down a lot when I was chatting to him, and spoken down too. Although he said he is impartial, I didn't get that reassurance from him.

He noticed a couple of bits I hadn't.. on the N/S sill, there's two oval shapes where the lacquer has bubbled and is peeling off.. there's a chip on the bonnet that's corroding.

Needless to say - not feeling the love lol.

What he did say, was that with its relatively low mileage, and full Skoda history - that sometimes sways them into a yes. But not to get my hopes up.

• 3 weeks later...

midwalesvrs/ any progress on the warranty claim? And out of interest what were your paint depths?

I went to get mine measured yesterday due to skoda uk requesting more info and apparently they'd had a new gauge which is why I wasn't confident with his readings seen as it read zero at some times.but I was happy as it was even readings all over even where I was worried it had a repair

midwalesvrs/ any progress on the warranty claim? And out of interest what were your paint depths?

I went to get mine measured yesterday due to skoda uk requesting more info and apparently they'd had a new gauge which is why I wasn't confident with his readings seen as it read zero at some times.but I was happy as it was even readings all over even where I was worried it had a repair

No update from them really. I had an email last week to request some more pictures of a couple of areas. In the meantime I have had a small patch on the spoiler bubble up. Nothing major but have stuck it on the claim as can't seem them 'stone chipping' the spoiler excuse.

Was gonna pop a call in the morning and just chase up.

I didn't pay attention to the depths! He said they take it to identify whether it's had a bump or what have you.

I'll keep this updated when I know anything, need them to sort it sharpish really otherwise I'm going to pay to get it done myself with new sills.

If anyone follows the Octavia and Fabia pages - there's a fair few more Octavias popping up from 07/57 with these issues.. I did mention to Skoda that a lot of owners are having these issues. He said that Skoda frequent owners forums and like to investigate owners complaints.. can't see it myself.

Edited by MidWalesVRS

Thanks for your reply

Had a snotty email from Skoda UK today to inform me that they won't be pursuing the warranty work.

-Sills; apparently there is clear evidence that the sills have been damaged and therefore the corrosion has spread from these areas. In the 'pictures', there is areas where the paintwork is clearly chipped/damaged. I've been out and under the car and the area they are talking about is where the corrosion is coming up from underneath and starting to affect the paintwork you can see from the side. No sign of ANY damage from underneath which is what was commented on the day by the assessor.

-Lacquer on the spoiler - isn't corrosion, so flat out not covered.

-Spot on the read bumper - apparently from the 'pictures', they can see there is a colour difference from the rear bumper to the bodywork.. and therefore it's there opinion it's previously been repaired and when putting the rear bumper back on its damaged the lacquer and caused the start of the corrosion.. I asked whether this was backed up by paint depth readings and they said they weren't allowed to comment.

I'm pretty miffed to be honest but I can't say I didn't expect it.

Didn't help the car was filthy by the time I got there for the assessment.

Off to get some quotations for some new sills and a respray!

Edited by MidWalesVRS
  • Like 1