Jimmys SE#152

MidWalesVRS

That's shocking news Jim. Hopefully won't cost too much to fix

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Saw a fella on the Octavia Facebook page have both sills cut out and replaced, arches patched and some spoiler work and I think he mentioned £500 odd.. I'm wondering how much a full respray would cost!

Do you know whether Furrows would take this work on?

• Like 1

Saw a fella on the Octavia Facebook page have both sills cut out and replaced, arches patched and some spoiler work and I think he mentioned £500 odd.. I'm wondering how much a full respray would cost!

Do you know whether Furrows would take this work on?

Ring and speak to Phil or pop and see him. I can't see why they wouldn't do it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

• Like 1

A full respray will be circa £2500 IMO if your taking it somewhere like Furrows.

Be good to get a few quotes under my belt to make the best decision really.. Getting some new sills in and the rear panel patched is the priority for now really!

Recommend anywhere Kev?

Edited by MidWalesVRS

I don't sorry.

The only really good body shop I knew of locally has closed due to the owners ill health.

I've seen some nice work come out of the likes of Pant motor bodies and furrows,but also some really shocking/crap work :(

Sorry to here that mate.

Looks like they are going to repair my rear quaters where they meet the bumper, looking like the sills are a no go tho!

Body shop quote around 200 a side to fix and stonechip the sills

Edited by kellaway86

Sorry to hear that midwalesvrs,sounds like a load of rubbish to me!how can we all have the same problem,I'm sure if they had been repaired they wouldn't of been repaired the same.

Why's yours a no kellaway?

If I get a no I'm definitely not gonna settle lightly for it after the evidence I've seen on here.they want to make it hard so give up.

I don't sorry.

The only really good body shop I knew of locally has closed due to the owners ill health.

I've seen some nice work come out of the likes of Pant motor bodies and furrows,but also some really shocking/crap work :(

Was that OBR Kev?

Sorry to here that mate.

Looks like they are going to repair my rear quaters where they meet the bumper, looking like the sills are a no go tho!

Body shop quote around 200 a side to fix and stonechip the sills

I'm glad they're doing something for someone Kellaway! It really miffed me how the assessor was surprised at the sill corrosion and spent extra time looking at them to find damage - couldn't find any and then comes back with this. It's clear his report to Skoda UK was contrary to what he said to me.

Sorry to hear that midwalesvrs,sounds like a load of rubbish to me!how can we all have the same problem,I'm sure if they had been repaired they wouldn't of been repaired the same.

Why's yours a no kellaway?

If I get a no I'm definitely not gonna settle lightly for it after the evidence I've seen on here.they want to make it hard so give up.

I specifically mentioned that I could accept that stone chips around the arches could cause some of the corrosion - but I wasn't convinced this was possible from stone chips on the sills.. this would mean that every 9 year old car should have these issues, but they don't?

When I mentioned that I was in contact with people who have similar issues around the same registration (07/57), he told me that Skoda keep track of all owners forums and social media and investigate issues if enough of the owners raise them - as they don't appreciate bad publicity.

With regard to giving up - I am going to get as many details photos as I can, get a decently written letter drawn up - and I'm going to get an independent assessment carried out which has been offered for free by a company local to me as they're doing it alongside a quotation for the work.

If the assessment proves what I think - I'll get it sent over to Skoda UK and see what's what. But I also can't spent the next few months fannying around back and to when it needs sorting and I want it sorted as well!

Certainly no harm in throwing some mud about on social media, the manufacturers are dead twitchy about negative publicity on line these days.

You may get a different reaction if you post a detailed post on line asking for opinions?

• Like 2

Had a snotty email from Skoda UK today to inform me that they won't be pursuing the warranty work.

-Sills; apparently there is clear evidence that the sills have been damaged and therefore the corrosion has spread from these areas. In the 'pictures', there is areas where the paintwork is clearly chipped/damaged. I've been out and under the car and the area they are talking about is where the corrosion is coming up from underneath and starting to affect the paintwork you can see from the side. No sign of ANY damage from underneath which is what was commented on the day by the assessor.

-Lacquer on the spoiler - isn't corrosion, so flat out not covered.

-Spot on the read bumper - apparently from the 'pictures', they can see there is a colour difference from the rear bumper to the bodywork.. and therefore it's there opinion it's previously been repaired and when putting the rear bumper back on its damaged the lacquer and caused the start of the corrosion.. I asked whether this was backed up by paint depth readings and they said they weren't allowed to comment.

I'm pretty miffed to be honest but I can't say I didn't expect it.

Didn't help the car was filthy by the time I got there for the assessment.

Off to get some quotations for some new sills and a respray!

So todays the day with the response I was sort of expecting,all ive got is my dealer ringing me to say no due to external influences whatever that is so ive sent him to try find out more and luckly due to the dealers prior poor service skoda uk customer service are following me so will also ask them more tomorrow when they ring me. be interesting seen as paint depths are even all over the car.

Did skoda U|K email you?

Are you on facebook?as if I don't get a satisfactory answer ill post on there and you can comment.

ive googled and theres quite a few with similar problem,also going to go view some for sale locally see if there the same

Edited by n15mgd

Put a thread up in the general car section or something and see who adds there name to the list. Maybe ask for photos too.

I'll gladly sign up with evidence.

Yeah good idea.

I'll be adding to the list too :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a little while since I posted an update.. my wife gave birth to our second child on the 20th May.. and with lots of complications before and after, the car has just been a work horse this past 2 months..

It was smack bang due on its service, desperately needed me to tackle the rear breaks, and needed some TLC.

So I decided to head to my Moms as she has a paddock as opposed to my public road.

eaeccfbff1d6a08e3794174ff7fb19d1.jpg

Arrived with my boots full of goodies!

The first job I wanted to do was take the Rocker Cover off and get some pictures of the camtaken.. I stupidly didn't take photos of the cam in multiple positions.. Some of the lobes look marked.

ddb12af44352a998ba78f07240d859b2.jpg5b8f7380054c5312903c68b4499fa246.jpgfd53685bf0c39587b180503c71ac0372.jpgbf6f7001d0936baf585fac852ef79404.jpga646a60df2984f5826832f22367d4b1d.jpgda534b706f3db6267927d290aef2265f.jpgc910d2ee9a950f03630809ed7391fea7.jpgf6cdc57c51657fdd61075140fc9868d0.jpg

Wasn't comfortable attempting to rotate the cam manually - so sorry that all the lobes aren't present in the pictures. Some of the marking.

1fc754542ec79b8d6af7129db4d894e8.jpg17c9646639bd151551eb43e208d42c14.jpgdffae306406e4384f6544eabfe48a738.jpg3e3c63f2648db602848c844601c58bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

So after tackling that, it was time for the service. Old air filter was pretty mucky!

5256a226b26ddda109c08c08c4d9bbf5.jpg8d55602bd4ce2d763448916f5b4b0eac.jpg

Then the rear breaks. They were jammed on pretty tight, but managed to get them off in the end.. misunderstood when I first attempted it that the carriers needed to come off - but managed it all fine this time.

1faa52d5772a1bed635c24bb97f9b480.jpg31eb8095b3d55a196f733d30042f6bb6.jpg35f9a0cca4995a5b89984b1015b22191.jpg9cd53160eec47ba79033ed7e779d6f0d.jpg90e52c66e264acfa06e33255f3efe000.jpgf744322aae397e0158e8e872b11d824f.jpg

One side was particularly bad with a decent lip forming in them.. this was the side that the buckled rim was on when I bought the car!

Last but not least, as it's our wedding anniversary tomorrow and we're due out for a meal tonight- anymore time on the car and the wife would of killed me. Managed to pick this up a few weeks back.

ba7eeff76896d6f5c123a623bfa5ca3f.jpg

So gave the car a quick wash.

ea5ed15fc5a64a8a67121457c99fd5b5.jpg71e23a0018dc6f466d1b3c5a1080395b.jpg5a977dc859e8ba1b98a7cf0b23b6e627.jpg00df18dc390a3552d400daecc5b10956.jpg

The paintwork situation is still getting me down, and I will be sending a nice collaborative selection of photographs and statements and links to these forums to SkodaUK. But in the meantime - I'll be going about getting quotes for a respray. I managed to get one the other day. Replacement of sills, treatment of the section where the bumper meets the bodywork and a full respray - £1800 + VAT and that's with someone whose work I know..

All in all a good day. The tapping went away after the service.. so not sure whether it's short journey related etc..

Only downside is the spoiler has had a fit and decided to shed it's lacquer big time!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1