335d Xdrive am I nuts?

Aspman

Anyone know of a good deal on a warranty for a BMW @ 3 years old?

Probably will go with the one BMW are offering but it is not that good value.

Just asking incase the is something Dealership have on offer that beats what BMW UK are offering.  

Some Warranty work was done, and some non warranty and first MOT & it came to 800 squids.

Thank You.

16 hours ago, Offski said:

Anyone know of a good deal on a warranty for a BMW @ 3 years old?

Probably will go with the one BMW are offering but it is not that good value.

Just asking incase the is something Dealership have on offer that beats what BMW UK are offering.  

Some Warranty work was done, and some non warranty and first MOT & it came to 800 squids.

Thank You.

I pay £47 a month comprehensive with £100 excess on my M135i, it's worth it for the piece of mind and that's with BMW

Edited by VRS Mike
  • Like 1

I just coughed for the BMW one. £57 a month inc breakdown (£100 excess) :crying:

The breakdown cover seemed reasonable value.

Mine has MOT and pre 3yr check before September. Also due large service and possibly back brakes.

I knew a guy with an X5 he said the warranty paid for itself several times over. It would only take a wishbone to even out.

I'm on my 3rd radio and that would be covered too at £1500 at pop.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Firstly, 1500squid for the radio??

Secondly, are the radios made of chocolate that they keep breaking on you?

330 wagon is on my imaginary next car short list, but the number of reports of quality being poor is really putting me off them now... :(

Edited by mac11irl

Aspman, not sure how your radios are breaking, I’ve not had any issues with mine. 

Mac11irl, the F30 doesn’t have the build quality of the previous generation. Having said that it's still miles ahead of my Octavia who’s interior creaked and rattled. The Skoda dealer wasn’t interested in these problems and despite problems reported whilst the car was under warranty they wouldn’t fix it when it was booked in a few days out of warranty which was their earliest appointment from making them aware of it. The failed rear wiper, oil temp sensor I ended up doing myself and when the electrical problems started it was time to get rid. 

With the BMW I’ve had two squeaks that needed fixing. One was the seat belt, which I expected them to just remove the trim and grease the mechanism but they actually replaced it. The other was a well known problem of the door frame rubbing against the door seals which makes a creaking sound. Firstly they applied a lubricant to the seal but the noise continued. Then they used a tape but the noise continued until they realised it wasn’t the doors but the boot lid that needed adjusting and it’s been silent since then. At no point have I needed to argue for work to be done it’s just done. Mechanically and electrical it’s been 100%. 

• Like 1

The radio buttons are touch sensitive and have some sort of thin rubberised coating on them. On my first and second radio these rubber coatings seem to shrink and split. The buttons look like they've cracked but you can hardly feel anything. It's cosmetic and you can only notice it at night when the light leaks through the split. There are quite a few reports of it on line across the BM ranges.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1116774&stc=

They can't swap the buttons they have to replace the whole unit hence the big bill.

Apart from that ( a short argument about a cracked binnacle when I got the car, also fixed [£1500 again]) and the decomposing alloys due to them being refurbed, I've had no faults on the car in 18 months.

But I got no faults on my Octavia in 5yr, not even a bulb.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

My F30 feels fairly well put together. I've got the creaky doors that need the tape treatment but aside from that nothing yet, touch wood. To be honest I wouldn't say my E90 is miles ahead in terms of build quality but then it's 11 years old, maybe I'll have to rethink in a few more years and see how the F30 is holding up. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Nope.

Nothing on BMW or the Gov recall check site.

I can only see water pump faults applying to cars 2011-2013.

Edited by Aspman

Best check with them...

http://bmw.co.uk/landingpages/bmw-vehicle-recalls#gref

My young lad was topping up coolant and away to get it in for a diagnosis and the letter popped through the door last week.

Along the lines of Warranty action, & leak could cause corrosion, or is that a overheating issue, fan,  EGR or whatever, which could cause fire i would say.....

Edited by Skoffski

PS

This was on a July 2015 car.  * No recall showing on the DVLA Recall site.* 

But then BMW are doing a Voluntary Recall, so the DVLA must believe not Safety Critical, or believe BMW maybe...

('it will be showing imminently',  is that short hand for when we can be arsed?)

Edited by Skoffski

I'll give them a phone if I can be arsed. I remember a recall with Honda for an airbag issue. Safety critical but I don't believe I  got the letter until nearly 6 months after the recall.

I think my build date is similar

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
16 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

@Aspman

Have you had an issue with the I-drive.

Booked in tomorrow because it is blank and comes up as a wiring issue. Not a fuse.

It is £160 to look at it, 3 hours and no courtesy car.

Hi George, nope. I think the I-drive has crashed a couple of times in 3yr but that's all.

Geneally the car has been very reliable.

Considering a move now because the saloon isn't looking to practical in the near future and it's needing brakes all round and the alloys refurbed. Need to think about that bill Vs cost to change.

TBH another 335d is on the list. There are very few cars that are anything like it.

I pay £57 a month for the extended warranty as well. But that has an excess. Not sure if I'd get a curtesy car. Central Motors in Letham have all the kit for BMW computers so they can service minis.

Beemers traditionally heavy on front suspension.

How many miles has it done? Might influence my decision to change.

Edited by Aspman

• 4 weeks later...