Octavia 3 Navigation upgrade - options / ideas / thoughts

Hi Everyone!

That's my first real post here. I'm a new & happy owner of a nice set of wheels named Octavia 3 (5e) and, being a complete tinkering addict, I simply must improve few things ;D
First thing on the list is introducing a navigation system. Car I own has a Bolero 5.8"/Canton/factory amplifier setup, thus no built-in navi system.
Hardware Codes: 5E0035840A, 041. Software codes: 0435, MSTD_EU_SK_P3420.

Now, putting aside all the external windshield/vent mounted units I was hoping you could help me to choose the best way to go with update/replacement of the existing infotainment unit.
I've made a bit of research and came with few ideas:
Option 0: (crazy and impossible I believe) to make the Bolero be the Amundsen. It would mean adding some hardware (antenna / head unit change?)followed by SW configuration...I guess that's no-go. Same for buying the big Columbus - I've read that coding may be an issue and cost may be more than a reasonable number.
Option 1: replacement of the main unit with a 3-rd party solution (such as ADAYO CE4M1A) but that would mean bypassing the existing FO-connected amplifier and adding another amp, crossovers, tons of cabling, etc. Many things may go wrong and sound I have now isn't bad at all (that is except some annoying :/ vibration at the central speaker... ).
Option 2: (was) to try to use mirrorlink...which sucks as much as I've heard, but is not exactly a problem since I found it missing in my Bolero (model year 2015, but actual manufacturing - late 2014) game over here:D ...That is unless I can somehow force an update to my unit. Remark: no official updates available to my VIN.
Option 3: finally, after this rather longish preface I arrive to what I expect to be the most optimal option...to add a 3rd party navi unit to Bolero.
Does anyone have a positive experience with such solution? Candidates I've found so far are:

a.) NIK VWZ01 http://www.axionag.de/products/axion/nik-vwz01-vw-golf-7-navigations-nachruestsatz_en

b.) VL2-MIB http://pdf.ampire.de/caraudiosystems/VL2-MIB/man_eng_VL2-MIB.pdf
c.) Pioneer AVIC F260 VAG; eg. http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/car-stereos-navigation/pioneer-add-on-navigation-upgrade-for-vag-vehicles-avic-f260-vag
d.) BVW07 http://www.sklep.martos.com.pl/images/BVW07.pdf (mainly in Polish language - sorry)
e.) Dynavin TC-DVN-IN001VWG (http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/navigations/navigation-head-unit-dynavin-for-skoda) or DVN-IN001G or IN001MIB (http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_in001mib.php); I'm not sure which is a proper code /  better fit for my car.

Please let me know if you have experience (positive or negative) with any of the above units, especially with regard to some key features:
- key concern for me is if the unit provides a simultaneous playback from the OEM infotainment and is able to provide partial mute during the navi messages (navigating screen is on, while in the background all the normal audio playback, with all controls from steering wheel are maintained) In other words I'm looking for a module that would more-or-less integrate as a normal oem navi. Again - the system i have uses fiber-optical connection to the amplifier, which could be a problem to some solutions I guess.
- easy map/card change would be nice (I use now iGO on a plug&play card but it may change back to other WinCE-based map)
- installation kit should allow cutting-free, user-doable installation (I have most tools and experience needed...i believe)

All other ideas/solutions are most welcome!

Sorry for all that longish writing ;)

Cheers!
W

I'm fairly new so no idea if it's been discussed already, but when i ordered my Octavia there was some advertising about a Kenwood upgrade option.

A quick google brings back http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Garmin_Navigation_Interface_ZGB5E0051259 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-MIB-Satnav-Upgrade-2015-onwards-Fabia-Octavia-ZGB5E0051259-Kenwood-/151978632899 but I've no idea if it will be available where you are...

Hi Simon,

thanks for the input. I believe the delivery itself would be no problem (in worst case, when direct delivery is no-go, I could use help of some friends in UK). My main concern is though how good such units perform and how well would it integrate with existing setup - i.e. I'd like to know positive/negative experiences from users.

There is a factory approved sat nav upgrade for skoda seat and VW cars with the MIB2 bolero system. Available from Skoda dealers. £489 or £599 fitted.

Its a box you fit behind the glovebox with a gps antenna. When you hold the media button down it goes into sat nav mode.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=252092608194&alt=web 

https://youtu.be/Z4RMztUpd1Y

• Like 1

There is a factory approved sat nav upgrade for skoda seat and VW cars with the MIB2 bolero system. Available from Skoda dealers. £489 or £599 fitted.

Its a box you fit behind the glovebox with a gps antenna. When you hold the media button down it goes into sat nav mode.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=252092608194&alt=web 

https://youtu.be/Z4RMztUpd1Y

I think this is the same one I saw advertised in the dealers :)

Thanks glosrich, but same as with above post - that does not answer my question. Moreover linked unit is not compatible with VW "dynaudio speakers" upgrade thus may also have some problems with Skoda's Canton, which is a bit peculiar. I'm mainly asking for a verified solution, preferably from someone who did similar upgrade on a similar car.

Kenwood GVN-MIB1....its a VAG approved accessory. Id be highly surprised if it couldnt be made to work with uprated OEM sound system. Its about as close to OEM integrated as you'll get and being Garmin based wont navigate badly at all.

Otherwise use a smartphone or get a decent dedicated unit hardwired into the car....I certainly wouldnt go Asian aftermarket to chase an OEM nav dream....will almost certainly not work great

There is a new development in the situation. I was offered a Columbus unit (display + main unit) in acceptable price. Question is if it can be fitted somehow. Did anyone succeed making a swap like that (Bolero+Canton>Columbus+Canton)? Is the coding feasible?

There is a new development in the situation. I was offered a Columbus unit (display + main unit) in acceptable price. Question is if it can be fitted somehow. Did anyone succeed making a swap like that (Bolero+Canton>Columbus+Canton)? Is the coding feasible?

I dont think its impossible anymore but you need to defeat the component protection to do it...typically only dealers can do it and I doubt most will be willing.

Edited by pipsypreturns

Have a look at this:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTKSK04

This kit allows you to install an aftermaket headunit Pioneer, Alpine, kenwood...

It cost about 239 Euro, but you can choose a good aftermarket navi like pioneer avi or similar.

Good luck

That's an interesting bit of kit if it works as described elpaco. Good find. Haven't seen it mentioned on here before so not sure we can get feedback from someone using it though [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...that's the big gripe. Was anyone ever successful with that (in UK or elsewhere)?

I have had it done. I had Bolero + Canton, and now I have Columbus + DAB + Canton. The GPS antenna is hidden behind the dashboard.

I have had it done. I had Bolero + Canton, and now I have Columbus + DAB + Canton. The GPS antenna is hidden behind the dashboard.

Please let me know more. DAB I do not need, the GPS antenna is absolutely no problem....coding is as far as I have read. Who made the coding? Do you know how complicated it was? I would appreciate all the details you can share!

Dealer won't do it, Skoda generally don't like retro fits. There have been members who have had Columbus units retrofitted on the mk3 but I think the component protection has to be removed / cracked for it to be done.

Hi Allan,

thanks for the input. Do you remember who may have done it and how? I cannot find a direct applicable thread here...

I'm in Germany currently, so this may complicate things a bit further :/

The ECU mappers must be ahead of the game with this. Hence it must be possible without being directly at dealers, somehow

Maybe it will take a bit of time, might be worth sitting this one out a while, is it possible VCDS have something in the development maybe.

Me personally, having the built in Amundsen+Canton would definitely not want anything 3rd party, I would consider it essential to have the in-car integration stuff

but typical isn't it with all this modern "junk" that you have a 2 way headache, damned if you do one thing or the other !

( I'm in a similar situation at the moment with Windows Updates that I didn't realise were updating since 2015 lol, and trying to fix it isn't the most entertaining or clear process likewise )

Having Amundsen+Canton, I wouldn't feel that much pressure ;) Unfortunately I got a car that was pre-configured and I had no chance to express my need for integrated nav ;)

Now I'm struggling...lot's of options but no optimal solution yet. The Columbus retrofit would be for 100% the best looking choice, but it does not feel feasible at the moment.

If I do not find a way to do that, I'll proceed with Dynavin/Pioneer/Kenwood extension module (see "Option 3" on top).

Positive aspect (at least for Dynavin) are: ability to freely choose any navigation software (as long as it's winCE based), added 2 sd ports, HDMI, extra USB and access to movies + other audio formats. Yet still the integration is poor, especially with Canton, where as I was told, I would need an additional tiny speaker for navi commands and use AUX to feed audio when using the module's built-in players.

Hang on I'm confused, so you have amundsen like me, but without nav ? You first said you had a Bolero? That's not Amundsen.

If you have amundsen with nav, can't you just order the nav disk and then boom, problem solved?

Sorry, that's my language issues not the car setup ;)

I do have Bolero+Canton now (no navi whatsoever) and what I meant to say was: "if I had Amundsen I would have no urge for change".

• Like 1

If you want it doing Skoda PL should do it. The Skoda/VW service here will do anything if you tell them to do it and pay them to do it. You do have to agree that if it breaks your car that you don't hold them responsible tho.

I asked them do it to my Fabia while I owned it. They said there was no issue with sourcing it but it was so expensive to buy the radio I opted not to. 

Edited by lulzyboy

I reckon in time anything is possible. Trouble is right now its still quite early, newish car still and lots of encyption etc.

If it was me I'd live for now with some kind of external sat nav, because you never know, amundsen mght start showing up for used sale,

and then with something like VCDS coming forward for coding (maybe) could make a potentially very expensive job into something much cheaper?

It would make probably as much sense right at the moment to just switch car rather than trying to retrofit until the above becomes more clear, this is to me anyway.

I'd have the same situation with ACC, folding mirrors, heated leather etc. I don't have them on my car and I accept that but they aren't so important but could reconsider in future if it becomes clear means to do this the same way as previously with mk1, mk2 etc...

Of course you are right; topic is still rather fresh and time may heal this situation. I'll keep on looking though and in the meantime maybe check the "Option 3".

The target solution though being either (1) something that can allow Columbus installation or (2) a 3rd party unit with nice screen and capacity to use SPDIF/MOST fiber optical connection to drive the Canton amp/speaker system.