Roof Rack on Skoda Spaceback with Panoramic Roof

Has anybody tried to fit a roof rack on a Spaceback with a panoramic roof? I'd rather get a kit type that I can just change the fitting kit rather than the whole roof rack when I eventually change my car. The options I can find are herehttp://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?query=8159&emulate=roofbar&vptype=539335

But when I contacted the company, they said the information about panoramic roofs was old information and all roof racks were OK unless they said they weren't, but there was enough in the chat from their "expert" made me wary.

Has anybody got any recommendations?

Yes...

try searching the previous threads.

we've already discussed this in full and the answers you seek are ready and waiting for you in these forums.

...and Welcome to Brisky  ;)

Edited by camelspyyder

OK, I've checked the thread, it's not really a discussion on the subject, but I will PM the owner.

For a bit more info on the subject, when you put the Spaceback into Thule's website, it gives you a single option to click for roof type, which is "normal roof", no other options & no clarifications. I can only assume they haven't tested on panoramic roofs...

The two marked as suitable on the linked website in the OP are from a German manufacturer who make most of the car manufacturer branded roof racks, which are mostly car specific.

I know it's toughened glass and it's passed all sorts of tests but I would not put anything on top of that roof. I admit that's based on being old school rather than fact.

Having said that, and if it helps the OP, i have just read this, http://www.sales-initiative.com/news/sales-technology/motors---skoda-rapid-spaceback-reaches-the-summit/

It's an article about a bunch of cyclists road testing the SB, bikes on it's roof and all, and they seem to like it. They were using a factory fitted Thule roof rack, which i'm sure you can buy elsewhere.

Hope it helps,   (the article, not my subjective opinion)

Looks like there is a serious knowledge shortage on this subject in general.

Skoda have tried to sell me their own Roof Rack for £175 on the basis that there is no restrictions on its use on their ordering system. I believe that's what the Atera ones will be, but with a different make on it, so I'm thinking of saving myself £80 and going with the one that says it's OK for panoramic roofs. I would have done that in the first place but decided to ask the "expert", whom I had to explain my issue twice for them to get that I have a non standard roof, and whose the Thule website appears to differ on...

I know it's toughened glass and it's passed all sorts of tests but I would not put anything on top of that roof. I admit that's based on being old school rather than fact.

Having said that, and if it helps the OP, i have just read this, http://www.sales-initiative.com/news/sales-technology/motors---skoda-rapid-spaceback-reaches-the-summit/

It's an article about a bunch of cyclists road testing the SB, bikes on it's roof and all, and they seem to like it. They were using a factory fitted Thule roof rack, which i'm sure you can buy elsewhere.

Hope it helps,   (the article, not my subjective opinion)

Member here Kenreid7 has substantial roof bars on his pano roof for carrying bikes etc.  Pics in his RapidProjects Thread.

Member here Kenreid7 has substantial roof bars on his pano roof for carrying bikes etc.  Pics in his RapidProjects Thread.

I have no doubt it's perfectly safe. I just find it difficult to get my head around the idea, that's all.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Skoda part from Super Skoda, £120 delivered is better than the £175 from the dealer, but I don't expect the resale value to be up to much (I made money on my old Thule rack selling it on Ebay)...

I'll update the thread again when I get it.

Sorry, i've been preoccupied recently so missed this! Thules bars and foot pack do fit the panoramic roof; absolutely no issues as the rubber feet do not touch the glass at all. I've carried a fair bit of weight on them too. BTW they are not for sale now, as I'm keeping my SB

Thanks for the update! I've sold my Thule Roof Rack, apparently the new Skoda rack arrived at my neighbours today (after I really needed it yesterday...).

I'll hopefully get them fitted at the weekend and post a review.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 08/03/2016 at 17:44, AbeFroman said:

Thanks for the update! I've sold my Thule Roof Rack, apparently the new Skoda rack arrived at my neighbours today (after I really needed it yesterday...).

I'll hopefully get them fitted at the weekend and post a review.

Did you have any joy? Been doing a bit of research as I fancy a roof box for taking extra stuff away with us on holiday. 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 = lots of stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, I never got around to posting that Review, but they've served me well and worked brilliantly with the panoramic roof. Said goodbye to my Rapid earlier this week, now the proud owner of an Octavia, so I'm selling my Roof Bars on Ebay.

If anyone is interested, they're available here - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202890360216

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Not having a huge amount of cash to splash on Thule bars, I took a punt on some Cruz Airo T aerodynamic aluminium roof bars in a smart black. I've used Cruz kit before and found it perfectly solid, if a little basic. 

I have a Spaceback with a panoramic roof, and the Cruz bars fit this perfectly - the mounting brackets don't touch the glass panel at all. 

Fitting was simple. Most of the mounting bracket is pre-mounted to the bar, with the car-specific 'fitting kit' being a shaped bracket that fits into the holes in the door aperture and curves around the car, bolting to the bars using 10mm bolts. This has rubber gaskets to prevent damage. Adjustment is via a 10mm bolt in the roof bar. A bit of measuring makes it easy to fit the bars to the car solidly and centred on the roof.  You can undo one of the fitting brackets to lift the bar off the roof without having to readjust everything. The optional lock kit locks the plastic covers over the bracket bolts and provides some security. 

I'm happy with these bars. Now to get some cycle racks. I need four...