FSR+ review on vRS TSI with data logs

I have previously had TDI vRS's, on both of them I have had the CRD-T boxes on them.  Both yield really good results as posted my many on here, I have also fitted them to customer vehicles and everyone approves!!!

I have now changed to a TSI and of course fitted a FSR+ box from DTUK.  First impressions were not like the TDI boxes, the boxes for the 170 / 184 TDI's add a huge amount of lower down torque and dependant on settings can be delivered quite aggressively :-)

The TSI box didn't really seem to improve the low down torque, It does improve things from around 3000rpm onwards though.  From around 3,500rpm the pull is much stronger and more aggressive (less linear).  

I did some data logging with both an oscilloscope and OBD logger and the results seem to confirm the 'bum dyno'.  The FSR+ doesn't really adjust the figures until around 2,500 / 3,000rpm it seems to adjust the boost pressure of the 2 sensors fitted.  Looking at the graphs it clearly reports a lower boost pressure so the ECU increases the boost pressure - fuelling is not modified.

Looking at the Air / fuel ratio running the box does make the engine run slightly lean under full throttle but its only by a micro amount.  The wide band lambda must be making corrections under load but only to a point.

First graph is with the OBD logger with box turned off and then on (Map 3+2), you can see the boost being changed.  Both graphs are over a 10 second period under FULL throttle with a 3rd gear pull.

The second graph is the raw voltage from both the sensor output and the output from the box to the ECU, I did this monitoring both boost air temp and camshaft speed.

I can also note that even when looking down to nano seconds there is no delay in the reading from the boost sensor and the reading sent to the ECU by the box - quality processor inside the FSR+ box.

Its odd that how even in stock form the boost has a lump in it then is slowly reduced as RPM is increased.  Resolution on this is OBS logger is around 4 reading per second.

On the first graph below the Lambda 1 line is rich, above is lean.  Lambda 1 = 14.7:1 by mass

I did do some performance logs as a rough guide, the 30mph-70mph speed was around 0.5-0.6 seconds quicker with the box on staying in 3rd gear throughout.

46AEDF63-8F29-422F-BB9E-D1356FC90DE1_zps

FSR%20Comparison%2032_zpsfcsyhr5p.jpg

Interesting review. Sounds disappointing as I have a box ready to fit when my car arrives. I also have purchased the pedal box, wonder if this would complement the FSR and atleast provide greater urgency lower down??? Did you try other combinations on the settings??

I've tried the other combinations, they just change how much punchier it is above the point of 'bending the figures'.

Andrew from DTUK has posted a couple of graphs of Golf GTI's with the box on producing at least 270 BHPso the figures speak for themselves.

The box is good, maybe a full remap wouldn't actually get you much more peak power but would increase the torque in the lower rpm band.

All in all when The rpm is up it sings :-)

Edited by xpower

Revo can't do a remap for a 2016 car yet, plus warranty is an issue - this is where tuning boxes have the market. Cost is also a factor - REVO stage 1 is £200-250 above the cost of the FSR+

I may consider a going to a REVO stage 1 or even stage 2 :-) with downpipe and intake when they can do it for my car.

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Just to add I've being playing with the different map settings and I'm totally convinced that the MAP 1 and MAP 2 'feel' more powerful and punchy than MAP 3

I will do some more logs and report back of they show much difference

Just to add I've being playing with the different map settings and I'm totally convinced that the MAP 1 and MAP 2 'feel' more powerful and punchy than MAP 3

I will do some more logs and report back of they show much difference

look fwd to seeing your results

I have to agree on the map 3 compared to map 2 difference.

I've had my box (and pedal box) fitted to my car for around 8 months now and have tried all the map settings, I had finally settled on 2-2 but a couple of months ago I tried the 3-2 setting again for a month, I just couldn't get on with it, the power came in far to high up the rev range, and because of that you had to peddle the car harder to get to the usable power which had a knock on effect on fuel consumption.

I gave up after 3 weeks and went back to 2-2.

My arse dyno agrees with you Xpower, starts to boost around 3000rpm and gets into it's stride at 3500, then pulls very strongly to about 55/5600 rpm, fuel consumption is back to the low/middle 30's on day to day driving and high 30's to low 40's on a run.

I also have the pedal box, it makes such a world of difference.

All the jerkyness of the standard fly by wire set-up is gone, the pedal operation is as smooth as silk just like having a well lubricated cable connected to the throttle body.

Well worth the extra cost even if you don't by the tuning box.

Interesting review. Sounds disappointing as I have a box ready to fit when my car arrives. I also have purchased the pedal box, wonder if this would complement the FSR and atleast provide greater urgency lower down??? Did you try other combinations on the settings??

You still haven't fitted it yet!!  ;)

Revo can't do a remap for a 2016 car yet, plus warranty is an issue - this is where tuning boxes have the market.

I don't understand this statement - are you saying that fitting a tuning box doesn't void the warranty? I don't understand this, as the ECU itself will still record the higher levels of boost and is therefore discoverable by the dealer when such a situation is required.

Happy to be told/proven otherwise if I'm wrong!

I don't understand this statement - are you saying that fitting a tuning box doesn't void the warranty? I don't understand this, as the ECU itself will still record the higher levels of boost and is therefore discoverable by the dealer when such a situation is required.

Happy to be told/proven otherwise if I'm wrong!

A tuning box just fools the ECU into thinking the boost pressure is slightly lower than it really is.

The ECU will only "record" this if an error occurs so once you take the box away it doesn't know the difference.

• Like 1

You still haven't fitted it yet!!  ;)

LOL!!  You may not have seen on other threads but my 230 due this month is not going to show, due to a broker ****-up!!!  Long story short have had to re-order, through a dealer this time (extra £1k!!!), so need to wait a further 12 weeks or so all over again!!!  I am looking at it as another 12 weeks of excitement/anticipation!! Ha.  Hence, the tuning and pedal box still in their box!!!  :notme: