0 to 62 m.p.h.

The 0 to 62 performance figures, am I correct in assuming these only apply when the car 

is in Sport mode?

That when in Normal, Eco, etc. it would be slower? 

Also, why is it now 62 m.p.h. when it was always 60 m.p.h?

Thanks 

As far as I'm aware the mode makes no difference to the power available, just the throttle response. So you could accelerate just as fast in eco as sport, but you'd have to press the pedal further.

It's 62 mph because the Europeans test 0-100 kph, which is 62 mph.

As far as I'm aware the mode makes no difference to the power available, just the throttle response. So you could accelerate just as fast in eco as sport, but you'd have to press the pedal further.

It's 62 mph because the Europeans test 0-100 kph, which is 62 mph.

The gear changes occur at higher rpm in Sports Mode surely.

0-100 kph in Australia too.

My fault I didn't make it clear, but I was referring to a manual gearbox.

Good point, yes a DSG would. I didn't consider the gearbox! :)

Good point, yes a DSG would. I didn't consider the gearbox! :)

I've had my car 6 months and it's been in Sport mode 99.9% of that time. But this past week I've experimented with Eco. Just for s**ts and giggles. My findings were that although the power does not change the "delivery" does and so I would say regardless of manual or dsg, the mode WILL have an effect on 0-62 times due to the "flat out" nature of that exercise. Maybe only marginal but it would.

My other finding was that on my daily M60 (car park) commute, my journey was much smoother in Eco as the throttle response is softened. Absolutely no impact on my MPG though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skodev
  • Like 1

I've had my car 6 months and it's been in Sport mode 99.9% of that time. But this past week I've experimented with Eco. Just for s**ts and giggles. My findings were that although the power does not change the "delivery" does and so I would say regardless of manual or dsg, the mode WILL have an effect on 0-62 times due to the "flat out" nature of that exercise. Maybe only marginal but it would.

My other finding was that on my daily M60 (car park) commute, my journey was much smoother in Eco as the throttle response is softened. Absolutely no impact on my MPG though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe one day I'll try it to see the difference!

Mine lives in sport mode too - I prefer the quicker throttle response. In eco mode for me it would overshoot as you need to hold more throttle to get the same response. But despite being in sport mode, I'm still averaging 52mpg so it can't be that bad!!

So is there any point of the three modes in the VRS? I thought it would be about MPG, eco giving you the most but a soft ride and sports giving you the least but an aggressive ride. 

My understanding was that on the Octavia vRS the different modes affected throttle response, gear change points on DSG (and freewheel feature), steering weighting and xenon headlight behaviour.

Ride characteristics are not changed, but that feature is available on a Golf GTI.

Don't own one so just what I have read here so hopefully that is right?

My car, the base model in Australia, has no modes :(

Edited by Gerrycan

Guest Key103

I tried one tank in sport mode and one tank in eco. Marginal change to MPG. I found eco gear changes were indicated sooner, and it didn't like building revs up before shouting to change gear.

I like sport. I'll keep my vRS in sport I think!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I found the ECO mode saves around 4% fuel on m'y car compared to normal. I guess Sport is worse than normal in consumption but probably in a lower extend so that it is hardly noticeable.

In Sport mode, I've never seen yet the 7th gear engaged, while it is used very early in normal mode.

Then, regarding the original question, I believe the 0-100kph records are achieved in Sport mode.

What about acceleration with DSG in automatic vs sport mode? Regular automatic feels more fun because you feel every gear change much more, but sport mode should be faster.

Mine is manual 1.4 TSi and I have only the engine in sports mode, the rest in normal. It just "feels" nicer but I don't think it is technically any quicker acceleration, just that you don't seem to whack the accelerator down so hard for any particular level of response.

It is as if it takes a smaller movement of the pedal to produce a bigger opening of the throttle.

I think you guys maybe surprised at the gear change/revs used to make the timed runs. Torque is going away from 3-1/2k in the 1.4 TSI with the 2.0 VRS getting another 1,000 useful revs.

Torque throws you down the road not revs, they JUST sound faster all engine tuners do is widen torque bands to placate drivers whom insist on holding the revs till the redline

I think you guys maybe surprised at the gear change/revs used to make the timed runs. Torque is going away from 3-1/2k in the 1.4 TSI with the 2.0 VRS getting another 1,000 useful revs.

Torque throws you down the road not revs, they JUST sound faster all engine tuners do is widen torque bands to placate drivers whom insist on holding the revs till the redline

Sorry TWMNA, but you are wrong.

It surprises even me to say this but while your driving within the best torque band will give you good acceleration and relatively good economy (yes, you ARE driving economically), you will get better acceleration by holding the lower gear to the maximum power revs, and then changing up.

As I mentioned above my car is a manual and the Australian basic model does not have any switchable modes, but I do have Eco, Normal and Sport moods :)

• Like 1

Gerrycan any petrol engine will only deliver more power as horsepower when running at inexcess of 5,252 revs, that's just the laws of physics.

Our engines don't run far enough past that value to allow the next gear to keep the revs above that threshold hence, a loss of power during up shift.

If we were talking race cars with 17-18k redline then hell yeah I'm with you brother but, on the road stock we're discussing it's torque that matters.

Torque is only the initial thrust that an engine will deliver to push the car forward at any given point - an engine with a higher horsepower output will always win when in its power band, an engine with higher torque would only have an initial advantage.

Case in point, I had a mk1 Fabia vRS and had a Superchips map on it, circa 160 ish BHP (can't remember the torque figure. I used to leave things like Clio 182's and Type R's for dead accelerating in 2nd off roundabouts etc, but as soon as it's an open road the Fabia would be left for dust. Torque does not win races, power wins races.

Edited by vtec to vrs!

Well yes and no.

Power is calculated from the torque produced at a given revs and these figures are at the flywheel. The gear ratios determine what torque is carried to the driving wheels.

The diesels that have dominated LeMans for the last few years were generally up on torque but down on kilowatts compared to high revving NA engines.

The diesels had an advantage though because the 10% higher calorific values of diesel fuel and the relative efficiency (economy) of diesels better suited long distance racing.

Closer to home the 150 hp diesel octavia and the 150 hp 1.4tsi have near identical 0-100 times despite the diesel quoting about 30% more max torque at the flywheel.

Well yes and no.

Power is calculated from the torque produced at a given revs and these figures are at the flywheel. The gear ratios determine what torque is carried to the driving wheels.

The diesels that have dominated LeMans for the last few years were generally up on torque but down on kilowatts compared to high revving NA engines.

The diesels had an advantage though because the 10% higher calorific values of diesel fuel and the relative efficiency (economy) of diesels better suited long distance racing.

Closer to home the 150 hp diesel octavia and the 150 hp 1.4tsi have near identical 0-100 times despite the diesel quoting about 30% more max torque at the flywheel.

Could be a case of the diesel not being able to put the torque down from a standing start through a FWD powertrain? Would be interesting to see which one got off the line better if both had 4wd!

Could be a case of the diesel not being able to put the torque down from a standing start through a FWD powertrain? Would be interesting to see which one got off the line better if both had 4wd!

I did not totally disagree with you when you said that power wins races, I just cited a situation where it does not dominate. In shorter forms of racing then I agree that the greater power from high revving NA engines and correct gearing will probably win.

And you could be right about the 150hp diesel not being able to put its power down properly with FWD. After all the vRS diesel has significantly more torque again than the 150hp diesel but it is only marginally faster to 100kph (0.5 seconds or so according to the official figures?).

I did not totally disagree with you when you said that power wins races, I just cited a situation where it does not dominate. In shorter forms of racing then I agree that the greater power from high revving NA engines and correct gearing will probably win.

And you could be right about the 150hp diesel not being able to put its power down properly with FWD. After all the vRS diesel has significantly more torque again than the 150hp diesel but it is only marginally faster to 100kph (0.5 seconds or so according to the official figures?).

No no - totally got where you were coming from mate!

I haven't looked at the figures, but how much quicker is the vRS 230 to 62mph than the standard petrol vRS? Bet that is ALL down to the diff transferring the power / torque to the road better than the extra 10bhp!