SD card format and music ?

I just use a "fullsize" Sandisc 32gb extreme (forget exact specs), format to FAT32 & I have my music ripped to a harddrive for home as FLAC thanks to having dbpoweramp programme. I just use this same programme to batch convert my music to mp3 CBR 320 files directly onto the SD card, no problems keeping the same file/folder layout with [origfile]\[origpath] dynamic naming instruction. All artwork ok etc.

Just watch the 1000 folder limit, eg if you have a folder for each band/artist, then a subfolder for each "CD" then if 100 bands, & 9CD for each band = 1000 folders.

I've had 2 64gb cards in mine since October 2014 and filled them with FLAC and had no problems.

Personally, i wouldn't touch MP3's but that's your choice...

Steve.

• Like 1

I've had 2 64gb cards in mine since October 2014 and filled them with FLAC and had no problems.

Personally, i wouldn't touch MP3's but that's your choice...

Steve.

Same here, but car sat nav only takes mp3 & not FLAC, which is why I have a duplicate, down converted mp3 version of my FLAC home music.

Many thanks for that.

I've just looked and I don't see it on mine.  It's a Jun 14 (MY15) vRS TDI with the standard Bolero.  The top level of the folders just shows the contents of the root directory on the SD card and then one more up from there lists the sources (SD Card, BT Audio, CD...).  

I wonder whether this has changed since i got mine and, if so, whether a software update would give me this feature?

This. Mine also the same vintage and no ID3 tag support. My SD card did come from my Octy II so was well organised using the SD Bolero tool thing so I have a playlist for each album and copy them into subsets by artist of A-D E-H etc and also by year. ID3 database support would be nice though.

I found an SD lying in a drawer so thought I'd transfer a few albums onto it and see how it turned out. Happy enough that I can get a load of songs onto it but it was only a 4Gb card so I'll need to pick up a larger one for more music. My only gripe which is a bit of a pain in the ass is that when I'm on the track selection screen all my songs look identical. I'm assuming this is down to the order I've got the files tagged and I really can't be bothered going through all my music and redoing it. I must have it in the order of Artist-Album-Track Number-Track Name so for example all the songs on one of my Zac Brown Band albums looks something like this on the screen:

Zac Brown Band-You Get What You Gi 

etc..

The album title, track number and track name arent shown fully because there isn't enough room on the screen.

• 1 year later...
On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:55, alancha said:

Yes - as has been said, you can just drag drop or copy the mp3s onto the SD card.  However, it's worth thinking about the folder structure a bit as you navigate through your music by folders and files - rather than based on Artist->Album->track based on ID3 tags embedded in the files, as you would on an iPod for example.

However, if you use iTunes or similar it's very likely your files will be structured that way anyway, so it will all work out as you want but I have experienced some oddities, so you may need to clean it all up a bit for copying.  Also, depending what type of computer you use, you may need to remove hidden and deleted files, which are not hidden on the Bolero screen, so it can look rather untidy.  This may not be a problem on Windows computers but with Macs and Linux systems it is.

I am having this issue with my mum's SD card in her Skoda, it recognises some albums when put into the car but the majority it just adds into a random folder, if it is just to do with creating folders please can someone screenshot what the folders need to look like to generate albums when in the car?   Or is it to do with properties of the individual songs that identify them as an album and do I need to change those?   Or is it to do with file type?   I have no idea, I have really struggled to make sense of it so would be really appreciative of any help? 

I've just done this as just changed up to Oct III.

I created folders for different types of music, then subfolders for each artist and for some another subsubfolder for albums.

Then I copied the m4a files across from itunes library.

Obviously you may not need to create the first level of folders but sometimes I'm in the mood for classical, or Celtic, or something really high energy.

When playing the screen displays various info for each track (artist, album and artwork if I had it).

I copied from a Mac and it inserted a whole load of extra files which the Amundsen didn't recognise but listed first so messed up the display.  I deleted all these "._" files and its much clearer now. Maybe better to copy from Windows PC as it won't create these extra 'hidden' files.

It would be helpful if there was a tool which did the copying and created the folder structure automatically - maybe I just went the long way around.

It dépends how you are viewing the files.

At the top level of the music menu you can choose "folder", "artist", "genre" etc.

If you choose "folder" it will read the folder structure on the card.

This can be anything you like. I have: Artist-Album

The folders are just displayed like on a PC & you can select "play" at any level, for example play all songs from the Artist Folder etc.

However, if you choose to view by "artist" or "genre" etc etc then it uses the MP3/aa3 tags Inside each track to determine the order/sorting.

If you look into the iTunez folder you probably have the folders with names like "a8vgr74fdéà23", "fd545dfr3fg" etc

If this is the case you cannot really use the "folder" view without reorganising the folders.

If I remember right the newer versions of iTunez use a more logical structure for folders so you might be able to change some settings & iTunez will organise for you.

However I don't use iTunez so cant say for sure.

Of course. I  also copied files from itunes screen  as well as from looking at the file structure within the itunes library.

From within itunes I was able to copy across playlists into a specific folder - create folder on SD called 'favourites', select playlist in itunes, click on one track and then use edit menu to select all and drag/copy them into the new folder. As Gabbo says you can have itunes display groups of tracks in all sorts of ways and you select them in groups from there.

14 hours ago, ggpowell2 said:

Thank you, I was hoping there was a way to get the car to recognise them like it does for a couple as my mum has lots of music she wants in the car so that's a lot of folders but if that's the only way I will do that :)

This might help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668

As I thought, changing a simple option in iTunes will force the software to reorganise your folders so they are in Artist-Album format.

Afterwards, you can just copy paste the complete folder onto the SD-Card & it should work without lots of manual organisation.