vRS 230 vs Golf R vs Civic Type R

I bought a green vRS TDi in April 2014 to give me a space of relative luxury for a 18,000 mile per-year commute.  However, I've recently been offered a job in London, so will be getting the train and the car will be redundant and will sit on the drive feeling neglected.  My wife currently has a hugely underpowered Clio 1.2, so I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.  The Clio is just 18 months into a four year PCP deal.

Being a bit of a boy-racer, the first thing I did was test drive the Civic Type R which I adored, but it does try to bite your face off at every opportunity and with the 7k limit on only tyres available on the car.  I adore the look of it and to drive was exhilarating, but I can't see my wife happily using it to commute to work/pick me up from the station, so sadly I think it's out.  The Golf R, however, did provide an interesting compromise, although it didn't feel as fast as the numbers suggest. 

However, both cars are £500+ / month, even after I've added a couple of thousand as a deposit.

I hadn't looked at the vRS 230 as I fancied something different, however there's a quote via Facebook from Simpson's which suggests I'd almost be able to fund two vRS 230s for the price of a Golf R/Civic Type R!  Has anyone driven both and is the vRS 230 a fair comparison?

What are current lead times for a build-to-order on the 230?  Given the maturity of the existing PCP deals, it'd be of benefit if the car wasn't too readily available (I could have a Type R next week if I wanted!).

Does the vRS 230 offer any other colour options over and above the standard vRS?  I've already had the best colour - green - so struggling a bit with colour choice....

No offence to 230 owners but I think the 220 is just as competent and will save you shed loads more money.

I disagree, the diff means 230 drivers will always be ahead, I think it's worth the money

• Like 2

No offence to 230 owners but I think the 220 is just as competent and will save you shed loads more money.

Not true...if you want what's standard on a 230 on a 220, then buying a 220 will cost you more...and you won't have the front diff!

• Like 2

Not true...if you want what's standard on a 230 on a 220, then buying a 220 will cost you more...and you won't have the front diff!

Exactly, you need to compare like with like

The VAQ diff provides some additional traction within 1st and 2nd gears, and particularly when accelerating out of corners, but the 230 is still limited by its FWD drivetrain. If traction is a concern then the 4WD Golf R is the solution. A VAQ diff (LSD) equipped car will have the edge over the same car fitted with a standard differential, but 4WD will slaughter both for traction, especially on loose or wet roads and when flooring it within first. The extra 60-70bhp of the Golf R will add salt to the wounds. If space is not essential then the Golf is the best option.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

The VAQ diff provides some additional traction within 1st and 2nd gears, and particularly when accelerating out of corners, but the 230 is still limited by its FWD drivetrain. If traction is a concern then the 4WD Golf R is the solution. A VAQ diff (LSD) equipped car will have the edge over the same car fitted with a standard differential, but 4WD will slaughter both for traction, especially on loose or wet roads and when flooring it within first. The extra 60-70bhp of the Golf R will add salt to the wounds. If space is not essential then the Golf is the best option.

Absolutely - the Golf R is probably one of the best all round cars on sale today, but then again if you don't need anything THAT fast, and doing plenty of miles, the vRS 4x4 makes a hell of a lot of sense. To my eyes I think the vRS is a better looking car too.

Superb 280 TSI 4x4 if you can get one within budget.

Had one on demo for a week in black, with boggo alloys, in SE-L spec but with no options. What a Q car - should be used as unmarked police vehicles  :ph34r:

Acres of room inside, v comfy, but not going to compare with a CTR or Golf R on the twisties   :no:

Superb 280 TSI 4x4 if you can get one within budget.

Had one on demo for a week in black, with boggo alloys, in SE-L spec but with no options. What a Q car - should be used as unmarked police vehicles  :ph34r:

Acres of room inside, v comfy, but not going to compare with a CTR or Golf R on the twisties   :no:

How did you find the handling? I read they are a bit barge like and far softer when compared to VRS, Cupra and GTi.

Can you still order one... but a foci RS? Although i personally not that keen on the looks (don't like the CTR either though).

Edited by Exeterj

How did you find the handling? I read they are a bit barge like and far softer when compared to VRS, Cupra and GTi.

I ran an 09 (Pre FL) Octavia vRS for a few years with Eibach lowering springs, 28mm rear anti roll bar and Whiteline ant lift kit; the last two years my daily drive has been a 2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrak (two tonnes of a tower-block-on-wheels!   :D ), and I immediately felt that the Superb rolled quite noticeably. That, coming from a pickup driver, tells a story!

Not all bad though, and it's not designed to be a 'handling' car really - it's a waft-mobile, but happens to be pretty rapid in a straight line. Even with the chassis in Sport, it didn't seem to make a big difference in terms of roll. Grip is fine, being 4x4, but unless you have no passengers and get used to the weight transfer/body roll, it's not really a 'fun' car IMO. I would still have one if circumstances allowed though.

Good fun embarrassing 330d drivers etc mind you!  :notme:

I believe there have been rumours of a 'Sportline' or other such, more driver focussed, Superb. :wonder:

Edited by skodaphile
  • Like 1

Golf R @ £33k?? That may well be the rrp but nothing like you will pay in the real world, unless they have gone up. Mine was an rrp of £32,150.00 but got for less than £28k nearly a year ago :)

There were some brand new Golf R estates at around £28/29k being offered recently too.

And if you do not need the space of an Octavia they are an awesome car, the grip is unreal.

• Like 1

Thought about the Leon cupra?

Personally I love the styling

Love my Cupra ST. Wanted a Golf R estate but couldn't justify the extra £5-6k to get same spec (minus 4x4) particularly as Seat were giving 0% finance compared to 6% with VW.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Any road with a corner, I'm sorry do you not understand what a differential does?

Fully. Just not sure on which Public road you could drive it to notice the difference!

• Like 1

Fully. Just not sure on which Public road you could drive it to notice the difference!

Why the hell not?? I would make sure I drove it so you could, otherwise, what's the point?? I'm sure anyone buying a performance car doesn't just buy it for the track. Not saying the 230 is a performance car, far from it, but a little bit if spirited driving here and there, around a few deserted country roads, I'm sure the diff will come into play and make a difference.

• Like 1

I ran an 09 (Pre FL) Octavia vRS for a few years with Eibach lowering springs, 28mm rear anti roll bar and Whiteline ant lift kit; the last two years my daily drive has been a 2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrak (two tonnes of a tower-block-on-wheels!   :D ), and I immediately felt that the Superb rolled quite noticeably. That, coming from a pickup driver, tells a story!

Not all bad though, and it's not designed to be a 'handling' car really - it's a waft-mobile, but happens to be pretty rapid in a straight line. Even with the chassis in Sport, it didn't seem to make a big difference in terms of roll. Grip is fine, being 4x4, but unless you have no passengers and get used to the weight transfer/body roll, it's not really a 'fun' car IMO. I would still have one if circumstances allowed though.

Good fun embarrassing 330d drivers etc mind you!  :notme:

I believe there have been rumours of a 'Sportline' or other such, more driver focussed, Superb. :wonder:

We were lent a demo 280 L&K Estate last week, but didn't manage to go fast, a little over 80 was enough for the twisty bits of the A24,

yes it is a barge, but it feels smaller than it actually, much like you would expect from a  bigger Octavia. Far too much road noise + a "sports" 

exhaust which felt out of place for an L&K. It would suit the new Sportline though. 

We didn't like the long-term  fuel consumption, 25+ mpg, & the acceleration from 30 to 60 in "S" with foot on floor was nothing like a Golf R, or indeed,

my (remapped) Superb 2.

So, it's now been removed from  shopping list....

But, I do have an interesting quotation for a new vRS 230 Hatch, in Corrida Red, with a few nice toys (to match my Superb Elegance) for £27,993.

That's a cheaper & better equipped car than a Golf R or even a GTi mit performance pack, but slower & lower  (probably) residuals. Much bigger boot though.................

Food for thought.

DC  

PS Civic, it's the "in yer face" styling that = no way, I'm too old for a boy-racer.

I much prefer the "Q" car concept. My old (remapped,,,,) Black Magic vRS usually looked like a grubby mini-cab,

& that made it much more fun.

• Like 1

Golf R @ £33k?? That may well be the rrp but nothing like you will pay in the real world, unless they have gone up. Mine was an rrp of £32,150.00 but got for less than £28k nearly a year ago :)

There were some brand new Golf R estates at around £28/29k being offered recently too.

And if you do not need the space of an Octavia they are an awesome car, the grip is unreal.

I know you can get them cheaper I just didn't know how cheaper to make my point, so I used the rrp.

Isn't an audi s3 an option?