Skoda Superb - Towbar Demo Video

RickTT

I wouldn't expect an aftermarket equivalent to do all of that as the release handle and lock/unlock LEDs are built into the rear load sill. Simply Very clever design  :x

Also, the factory fitted towbar gets uprated alternator, battery and cooling systems for optimal towing conditions. 

Is that it? Could not be much easier really could it.

I wonder if the aftermarket OEM equivalent will do that too?

Who makes the Superb unit?

Here's a slightly more detailed video ...

20160321_152339_zpsnrzkojdr.jpg

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

The electric hook up is inside the towbar neck too :)

No more kneeling on a damp road trying to coax the electrics down from somewhere in the recesses of the bumper, or hefting a lump of iron up into a bracket like my old S2 removable.  :clap:

Something else useful to know about the towbar, if you need to lock up bikes/rack to it:

20160322_180555_zpsiulvnrvb.jpg

There's room for a 10mm shackle.

You know what.. i was looking at that earlier thinking it was a good idea for the brake away cable, but a bike lock is even better idea!

We've got a towbar mounted bike rack, and although it's lockable, I feel happier threading the bike lock through something on the car as well as just locking the bikes to the carrier.

The "hole" is about 10mm, so you won't thread a cable lock through, but the padlock idea seems to work. Might rattle round a bit, we'll see!

• Like 1

We've got a towbar mounted bike rack, and although it's lockable, I feel happier threading the bike lock through something on the car as well as just locking the bikes to the carrier.

The "hole" is about 10mm, so you won't thread a cable lock through, but the padlock idea seems to work. Might rattle round a bit, we'll see!

Same here... I would never leave "my" bike on the rack, but have with my other "dad duty" bikes at the likes of centre parcs car park, but I have a long cable I thread though the bike frame and the rear alloy wheel when parked up!

Hi,  Tow bar looks great.  The video shows it off really well.  Currently waiting on a confirmed build date for my SE-L (sitting at unconfirmed build week 14) which has the factory fitted tow bar.  Will be using the car to tow a caravan with alko stabiliser on it which needs certain clearances on it (see attached drawing).  Just starting to worry that the tow bar wont meet the required clearances,  Has anyone who has the fitted tow bar towed with a alko stabiliser or could someone measure from center of tow ball to bumper?  Thanks. D.post-135637-0-65013800-1458724589_thumb.jpg

Hi, Tow bar looks great. The video shows it off really well. Currently waiting on a confirmed build date for my SE-L (sitting at unconfirmed build week 14) which has the factory fitted tow bar. Will be using the car to tow a caravan with alko stabiliser on it which needs certain clearances on it (see attached drawing). Just starting to worry that the tow bar wont meet the required clearances, Has anyone who has the fitted tow bar towed with a alko stabiliser or could someone measure from center of tow ball to bumper? Thanks. D. al-ko clearances.jpg

Give me 10 mins.

20160323_094452_zps06uxnhus.jpg

20160323_094429_zpsja0epfqt.jpg

20160323_094613_zpspjtrxhoj.jpg

20160323_094535_zps733iooja.jpg

20160323_094508_zpsavxzxpfc.jpg

20160323_094516_zpsxhxwkayy.jpg

20160323_094523_zpsdyvn1p8q.jpg

20160323_094618_zpsdhkb0tow.jpg

There's a lip around 1 inch above the towball too which comes out of the bumper for approx 5mm which is hard to capture in the photo.

The clearance of 60mm from the bumper to the towball outer edge is going to be very tight as the bumper lips out above towball peak height.

Though I would expect it meets the requirements surely

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 2

20160323_094452_zps06uxnhus.jpg

20160323_094429_zpsja0epfqt.jpg

20160323_094613_zpspjtrxhoj.jpg

20160323_094535_zps733iooja.jpg

20160323_094508_zpsavxzxpfc.jpg

20160323_094516_zpsxhxwkayy.jpg

20160323_094523_zpsdyvn1p8q.jpg

20160323_094618_zpsdhkb0tow.jpg

There's a lip around 1 inch above the towball too which comes out of the bumper for approx 5mm which is hard to capture in the photo.

The clearance of 60mm from the bumper to the towball outer edge is going to be very tight as the bumper lips out above towball peak height.

Though I would expect it meets the requirements surely

What a brilliant response.  Cheers RickTT.  Looks as though it should be grand.  Just had that fear that it wouldn't work, now I just have to wait for it to arrive.  Been waiting nearly 2 months now, hopefully not too long to go now.  This forum has been great to read however it makes the waiting harder seeing everyone get theirs!  

• Like 2

My 2014 caravan has an Alko stabiliser and clearance is fine.  Just be careful if the hitch damper gets compressed when you come to unhitch as it will definitely hit the bumper as soon as it comes off the towball if you don't back the caravan up a little.

Don't forget to sand the paint off too.

My 2014 caravan has an Alko stabiliser and clearance is fine.  Just be careful if the hitch damper gets compressed when you come to unhitch as it will definitely hit the bumper as soon as it comes off the towball if you don't back the caravan up a little.

Don't forget to sand the paint off too.

Good to hear the clearance is fine.  It was just a few of the photos of the tow bar made it look closer than it actually is to the bumper so got me worried. Always a good tip to ensure the damper isn't compressed before unhitching.  What was the car like to tow the caravan?  Which engine do you have?

Top vid.

I've ordered a factory fitted tow bar on my S3.

The detachable Westfalia on my present S2 is such a faff that I defeat the object and leave it fixed.

• Like 1

Top vid.

I've ordered a factory fitted tow bar on my S3.

The detachable Westfalia on my present S2 is such a faff that I defeat the object and leave it fixed.

Expensive but so clever.

What was the car like to tow the caravan?  Which engine do you have?

Mine's the 280 petrol (brumm brumm!) and my test tow was out of my village, along a twisty B road, round the next village, out to the motorway roundabout and then back again.  About 4 miles in total so not an in-depth test by any means.  Initial impression is that it's going to be a great tow car (apart from the fuel consumption).  It genuinely felt as if I wasn't towing 1300Kg of caravan at all.  Knocking it into sport on the return journey along the B road was a hoot!

Previously I had 170CR DSG and that was a joy to tow with too.  The only niggle was occasional lack of front end grip as it did tend to see-saw even with the noseweight around 75Kg.  My tracking spreadsheet says I towed 9500 miles with it over the 4 years I owned it.

Our first trip of the season is early April and I'm looking forward to surprising people with my rapidly accelerating caravan  :devil:

Our first trip of the season is early April and I'm looking forward to surprising people with my rapidly accelerating caravan  :devil:

• Like 1

• Gizmo pinned this topic