Mist From Rear While Accelerating Update/Issue

Yeah, good spot - might need to get my TDI looked at, as noticed the mist again on the motorway - a quick 'whiff' on full kick down acceleration from 50mph roadwork zone. May not be the same due to being diesel i  guess though.

Was you losing coolant? Or just the mist at the rear?

They said there was a coolant leak in the turbo, it was not a lot as the expansion tank was showing smack in the middle of full and low. I can only assume that when I accelerated the coolant that was leaking was pulled through the turbo and out the exhaust showing as a mist that coated the rear screen that cleared with no issue with the wiper.

Do we think this is a petrol only issue? I've got a 2014 VRS diesel, which often produces a white mist when accelerating. But it is more pronounced on colder days. I know its water because it condensates on the rear screen!

I'm pretty sure it isn't loosing coolant though.

Edited by meb90

Always had this on cold days with Tsi for first few miles. But as soon as I level off the throttle it clears.So I assume it's just normal cold morning stuff.

Always had this on cold days with Tsi for first few miles. But as soon as I level off the throttle it clears.So I assume it's just normal cold morning stuff.

Just check if you accelerate when everything is nicely warmed up that there is not a plume of mist, will notice at motorway speed. I might be unlucky to have a coolant leak in my turbo but might be worth people keeping an eye out just in case.

Do we think this is a petrol only issue? I've got a 2014 VRS diesel, which often produces a white mist when accelerating. But it is more pronounced on colder days. I know its water because it condensates on the rear screen!

I'm pretty sure it isn't loosing coolant though.

I would keep an eye on the coolant levels just in case, there is a post about a petrol, I think, where the turbo gave up and went through the engine so would be interesting to find out if it was suffering a leak before it gave up.

I would keep an eye on the coolant levels just in case, there is a post about a petrol, I think, where the turbo gave up and went through the engine so would be interesting to find out if it was suffering a leak before it gave up.

Agreed, I'll keep a watch on levels! Turbo failure isn't something I fancy experiencing!!

Next time I'm on a dual carriageway/motorway I'll see if it mists then :)

Mine certainly does this even once up to temperature. But just assumed it's cold weather related.

I'm off to Scotland this weekend so will keep an eye on it and see if it definitely happens after a long run.

Mine certainly does this even once up to temperature. But just assumed it's cold weather related.

I'm off to Scotland this weekend so will keep an eye on it and see if it definitely happens after a long run.

Keep an eye out, if you get mist after everything is warmed up avoid hard acceleration.

• Like 1

I raised this issue here on 15th September last year and the consensus then was that it was condensation in the exhaust being warmed (steam) but I don't see other cars doing this, my local dealer didn't think it was a problem. I always warm my engines thoroughly before working them and would have expected any condensation to have been dispersed by that time, I feel quite embarrassed that I can't do a strong overtake / acceleration without leaving a vapour trail , perhaps I also have coolant leaking into the turbo ! Certainly never experienced this on my 2 previous Vrs's.

Sturgi, could you PM me the name of your Garage ,your contact there and phone number so that I can get my local Skoda dealer to speak to them, perhaps they may take me more seriously if I am armed with this information.

Thanks for raising this subject again

I raised this issue here on 15th September last year and the consensus then was that it was condensation in the exhaust being warmed (steam) but I don't see other cars doing this, my local dealer didn't think it was a problem. I always warm my engines thoroughly before working them and would have expected any condensation to have been dispersed by that time, I feel quite embarrassed that I can't do a strong overtake / acceleration without leaving a vapour trail , perhaps I also have coolant leaking into the turbo ! Certainly never experienced this on my 2 previous Vrs's.

Sturgi, could you PM me the name of your Garage ,your contact there and phone number so that I can get my local Skoda dealer to speak to them, perhaps they may take me more seriously if I am armed with this information.

Thanks for raising this subject again

PM sent, good luck

Just checked my records and the coolant got topped up in August last year when the car was 1 year 2 months old so might of had a slow leak in the turbo back then. Might be a bad batch of turbos, has anyone seen a similar issue on VW, Audi or Seat forums?

If anyone is seeing the same issue after car nice and warm speak to your dealer, happy to supply my dealers details if you need to convince them to call my dealer.

Well 5 hours of driving tonight and under full boost it still done it after 2 hours of motorway driving. Enough to leave a "mist" to cover 3 lanes.

It's almost like my old remapped fabia for leaving a cloud :o

Hi guys so are happy that this is a "Petrol Only" issue? Or have we had any diesel examples. Apologies it isn't very clear and I'm not one for snooping people's profiles. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys so are happy that this is a "Petrol Only" issue? Or have we had any diesel examples. Apologies it isn't very clear and I'm not one for snooping people's profiles. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully not impacting you derv boys but kept an eye on coolant levels.

My coolant (Vrs tsi) is also now at minimum and it was only in for its 1st service a month ago (they probably didn't bother to check the coolant). Can't say I've noticed rear misting other than on a cold morning but then again I haven't really looked out for it.

Seems there's 2 possible issues from reading threads on here. The turbo or a leaky water pump...

Have to wait until Tuesday now for the local dealership to open :(

Edited by Brooksuk

Did you not get a car 'Health Check' print out in the Folder even though you might not have a Service Book.?

The Coolant is a Fluid and should be checked, even with a Minor Service.

After all you are paying for them to do more than just change Oil & Filter.