EGR Valve issues

They might be able to do it in less than 20 hour's this time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hahaha - love it !   I'll let you know :D

sounds like they never replaced the oil feed/return gasket.

I'd take it back and get them to sort their work out.

I'm in the "being nice" stage of trying to get them to invite me back in ... but by Monday I shall be turning up down there in a bit of a girly-mood anyway!

sounds like they never replaced the oil feed/return gasket.

I'd take it back and get them to sort their work out.

Or when they undone the 17mm feed pipe the 14mm union came undone...seen that one before. As for the return pipe gasket. Probably not and probably not the union banjo bolt seals. Check your invoice for what part's are on it.

Most of it sorted ... now I have a problem of the front exhaust pipe flexi joint being knackered ... allegedly not caused by the EGR valve replacement work but it wasnt making a noise before!   *sighs*

£800 quoted so far ... huh??? Isn't it merely a "sock"??

If anyone knows where I can take my car to be properly looked at near Swindon I'd much appreciate it !

Enough to make me cry!   To be honest, I think I will take it elsewhere to be fixed even if it should be them doing it.   All trust gone in garages at the moment!

800 sounds like they have knackered your DPF. There is a tool for going around the flexi. It's only a plastic tool. But it stops it from stretching and knackering it. Guess they never had or used this tool.

As above.

They don't just fail. its no doubt been stretched or bent beyond its tolerance and split.

A call to citizens advice or trading standards might be worth a shot.

Enough to make me cry! To be honest, I think I will take it elsewhere to be fixed even if it should be them doing it. All trust gone in garages at the moment!

I do feel sorry for you. From what you have said they sound like a bunch of bell end's. I would be thinking along the line's of taking it elsewhere. Maybe even small claims court.

I think they have been rather heavy handed in having to carry out the rectification work.

• 1 month later...

Update  : 

I wrote a complaint letter to Skoda UK HQ regarding the Swindon branch -  outcome -  completely fobbed off 

Also wrote regarding how awful the position of the EGR valve was and how expensive replacing it is because of the location of a part - outcome - fobbed off completely and failed to answer any of my queries or concerns

My opinion of Skoda over the past few years?  Excellent, great local garage, great customer service etc.

My opinion of Skoda over the past few months - having moved?   Awful and wouldn't recommend - would use independant garages instead.

My opinion of Skoda as a company over the past week having made a polite complaint?  Awful - and now I would never buy another Skoda again. 

I think you are silly enough that you went to replace the EGR with a new unit and that too from a local garage! ! 

You should have blanked the EGR pipe and lived along with the fault indicator ......

Take advice from experienced people not from a 20 mile diameter location !!

Blanking off is easy. Although the EGR valve is hidden down the back of the engine, the outlet comes through the cylinder head and out the front.

So you just need to insert a blanking plate where I've circled below.

I've fitted a restrictor plate on mine (same thing, just with a small hole in) and it took me less than 10 mins to do. 

You loosen the two bolts holding the pipe on, drop the plate & gasket in, and then re-tighten.

ad4702d2-29b8-4f61-bf01-db9cd4fe066e_zps

This is the plate you want:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/91B-EGR-valve-blanking-plate-gasket-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-1-2-1-6-2-0-TDI-CR-2-Gen-/171535912704

I've bought from that seller, had no issues.

can you advice how did you do the remapping in the ECU or are you living with the fault indication on the MCD console

can you advice how did you do the remapping in the ECU or are you living with the fault indication on the MCD console

I didn't completely blank it - just fitted a restrictor. Which seems to have had no effect...

I did notice that Darkside (I think) sell a blanking kit, but they blank off at 3 places - not sure why that's necessary, surely just blanking the flow at one point would be sufficient.

There are loads on a fleaBay which have slotted fixing holes and a central hole that is supposed to o give you enough system response not to trigger the management systems but provided a significant performance benefit. ( If you believe the hype. ) Loads of blanking plates all at under a £5.

If the Yeti engine designers had located the EGR in an easily accessible place, the problem would far less serious (expensive). By far the most significant element of its replacement, particularly on the 4x4 version, is the removal of all the unconnected mechanical parts to gain access to what in essence is a simple, cheap, valve. One wonders what they were thinking about when they buried it where they did. They either thought the failure rate wasn't going to be so high or they didn't have their brains engaged.

I also wonder if there had been a wider range of petrol engines and diesels hadn't been pushed by the Government a few years ago, then those whose driving pattern doesn't suit diesels may not have bought them.

• Like 1

If the Yeti engine designers had located the EGR in an easily accessible place, the problem would far less serious (expensive). By far the most significant element of its replacement, particularly on the 4x4 version, is the removal of all the unconnected mechanical parts to gain access to what in essence is a simple, cheap, valve. One wonders what they were thinking about when they buried it where they did. They either thought the failure rate wasn't going to be so high or they didn't have their brains engaged.

I also wonder if there had been a wider range of petrol engines and diesels hadn't been pushed by the Government a few years ago, then those whose driving pattern doesn't suit diesels may not have bought them.

Absolutely

The trouble is there is nowhere at the front side due to the cramped space housing so many sensor laden emissions control components and ducting.

The simple, reliable diesel is no more......the components (including sensors) attached to the 'long motor' are the achilles heel.

• 2 months later...

I have a 5 year old Skoda Yeti 2.0 Diesel (170) which has done nearly 110K miles (mostly driven hard / motorways).

Last week the dreaded Glow Plug light came on on the dashboard and the limp mode kicked in when travelling at 70mph on a motorway.  Not fun as trying to overtake a lorry at the time when lost all power!

The diagnostics said EGR valve fault.  :(

I've had a Terraclean and no joy - the light came back on a day or two later.  (But was worth a try!)

Have had various quotes from Skoda (£1000+VAT) to local garages quoting a little less due to the large number of hours to perform the work (propshaft needs to come out apparently!).

Limped it to a performance car garage to have a proper look at the valve and mechanism to see exactly what the issue is and what really needs to be done (mechanical or electrically).

Stunned that I've had this issue as rarely buy "cheap" fuel, have had the car serviced exactly as per requirements/suggestions by Skoda, motorway driving mostly and not much local short trips and so on.

With the recall for the 'dodgy VW emissions issue' still not been made (more than the letter saying it will need to be at some point...)  I am not impressed with the costs of replacing this part :(

Has anyone had similar issues?  

Pros/Cons of having it blanked off?

Pros/Coms of a remap to switch off the EGR in the ECU (Evolution chip/remap as Bluefin doesnt switch it off)?

Thanks in advance of any help / information!

I also have a 4 year old Yetti, brought from new, serviced regularly never buy cheap fuel, done 45000 miles.

The glow plug light came on when driving down the motorway and then the engine management light, which then put it into safe mode.

After an argument with the very unhelpful Skoda dealer he agreed to look at it to determine if it could be driven.

The upshot was no it wasn't safe to drive, I was then stranded aprox 15 miles from home, and ended up getting a taxi which cost £30!

they have no courtesy cars available until the 22/9/16 nearly two weeks later, I have had the added expense of having to hire a car for work as I am community based which has cost £170 for 5 days.

The garage has quoted me £907.00 to repair this seems unfair as I don't believe this part should just go, surely Skoda should pay some of this cost as it seems to be a faulty part?

I have also received a letter about the emissions but nothing has been done, nearly brought a new Skoda Yetti but will now never buy another Yetti.

Service department rude and very unhelpful, seems as soon as they get your money you are on your own.

"seems as soon as they get your money you are on your own"

Yup, couldn't agree more.  Love my Yeti and will keep it on the road as long as financially sensible to do so ... wouldn't buy Skoda again due to the poor experience with customer services and HQ.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, I bought a 16-plate 2.0 TDI last weekend, 70,000 miles, FSH.

On Weds evening the Emissions Control System error light came on, scanned it next morning and got the following codes, which indicate EGR valve solenoid short to ground. 

P140000
P040300
P144000
P140100

Anyone know what the next best step is?

I have an Autoguard warranty that should cover the EGR valve, but not 'electrical connections'

Thanks

20201203_141658.jpg