Fair Deal or Too Cheap?

ionfly

Hi folks,

Just posted my 1.2 Classic on Autotrader and had my hand bitten off, so wondering if it could be going too cheap? It does have issues, but still runs & is roadworhty with a long MOT. Could anyone click the link below and read the description please - Never sold a car before and could do with the benefit of anyone elses experience.

http://www4.autotrad...skoda&logcode=p

DESCRIPTION: MOT til Jan 17, brand new tyres. Fuel sensor and brake sensor replaced recently as well as tracking. Immobiliser etc etc. Very economical and reliable car, v cheap to insure. Has never let me down but does have some issues, hence the price. Good runner that runs fine, but will need some work: Rear bushes need replacing and brake pads are on their way out. Does have a catalytic converter issue, either sensor or converter itself. Further diagnostics required. Engine itself is spot on, although the interior has not had the tlc it could have done with. Rear o/side door won't open, front n/side door won't open from the inside. Easy fixes. Front n/side electric window doesn't work as cable has snapped. Full valet on viewing, feel free to test drive., 3 owners, 5 seats, SILVER, £350

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Edited by ionfly
Content Restored

{content removed} ???

Really??? Lol...

Why LOL when others have to pay to advertise their car for sale!?!

You've been a member for a while so no idea why you're surprise by this...

Edited by jars

• Administrators

Content restored :) Thank you Ionfly for supporting the community. 

AS you're the topic starter you can manage it, so edit title if sold etc, lock it, hide it or start over without the above history ;)

It will most likely be of interest to people for parts and breaking which is a popular past time.

Seems a pretty cheap car tbh. Plenty of issues but of the not worrying kind, if I was after a low cost car for the wife

Trouble is we already have the newer shape htp but nevertheless, got to be worthwhile for someone. If I needed a runner in a bit of urgency its the sort of car I'd certainly be interested in at that price, its a no brainer

Difficult to price tbh.....obviously the higher you go the more likely you go the more likely that you may get no attention at all, so your risk.....

Has quite a few miles and quite a few issues so that price is certainly priced to attract given the issues a buyer has to sort - or fix them and ask more ;) but people are so ( inexplicably) obsessed with miles that they do make it more difficult to shift a car with any miles on at all even when working.  If you can sell then sell or fix and sell for more, up to you IMO

Could sort doors/windows out myself, just v little time at the moment. Quite frustrating, as it's served us well over the past couple of years and the engine itself is tip top. Need something bigger in any case to be fair, and not worth spending £700 odd on repairs when someone with more mechanical know-how could fix it up and make a few quid. Thanks for the welcome & for pointing the way to Freedom! I will be sure to pay closer attention in future. Think £350's the most I'd feel comfortable asking; still a bargain at that price. Cheers for input fellas!

Edited by ionfly

Has quite a few miles and quite a few issues so that price is certainly priced to attract given the issues a buyer has to sort - or fix them and ask more ;) but people are so ( inexplicably) obsessed with miles that they do make it more difficult to shift a car with any miles on at all even when working.  If you can sell then sell or fix and sell for more, up to you IMO

I'm guessing it all depends on how the motor in question has been cared for, but what kind of mileage would concern you or is mileage just not a factor? Looking at buying at the moment, and things I generally look for are 100k or less, few owners, long mot and cheap insurance. On a seriously tight budget atm, but what should I be looking out for other than this? (Seen a slightly batter Audi Avant Est w tow bar that's done 157K for 299 - seems too good to be true, how can I tell if it's a money pit or a bargain?)

Edited by ionfly

Mileage just doesn't concern me, but then I've owned my last oldest car from almost 10 yrs from 0 up to 127K without seeing it just fall to bits, just exposing the "common flaws" you would seen on any mile car.

I just don't see evidence of the car just falling to pieces when it reaches, 80,90,100, or any miles, as with anything its down to condition and how its looked after.

Equally a "brittle piston" low miles supermarket sweep special is just as liable to problems, no point generalising.

I actually prefer a car driving properly. I got a mk3 deal because of the miles, my reassurance from my own experience with high miles means I know its been driving as the car is meant to be, its the only way the car could have such miles on because its been eating miles. Regular servicing and its really not a problem IMO

But like all things on a 10 yr old car, ultra low or ultra high miles matters not, its caveat emptor either which way and worth setting money aside.

The benefit of buying a "highmiler" is the cars cheap already due to the misconceptions its trashed you can use to your purchasing advantage,

so even if you do get any surprises ( which you could do with private puchase low miler equally) you have money aside to fix.

• Like 1