Raising the bottom of the cargo bay on the Combi

Hi all,

My previous car had a flat cargo bay - as in, level with the top of the bumper - which meant it was easy to slide stuff in and out by myself.

With my Combi, I do not have the variable bottom option in the cargo bay and am well aware it is not possible to retrofit.

Has anyone done anything to workaround this? Has anyone cooked up a system or created a contraption to get the floor level?

I have a pretty good idea of where to start, but if it has been done or there is a reference, it would spare me from starting from scratch...

Cheers,

J

Can the Variable Boot Floor definitely not be retrofitted?

Edited by Prog

Can the Variable Boot Floor definitely not be retrofitted?

I'm sure the vbf could be retrofitted in the mkII so I would imagine it could be retrofitted. Failing that you could always build it up with timber

It absolutely cannot - I mean... anything is possible, but it would involve changing the entire interior from the sits backwards - it is not only the floor. The layout is different.

This is what my boot looks like:

skoda-octavia-3_4_0.jpg?itok=g220ZjBL

This is what the VBF boot looks like - notice the side panel differences, around wheel wells:

octavia-estate-mid_level_compartment.jpg

Jaco 2k, sorry fella, but you've posted a picture of a hatch without variable floor and then an estate with variable floor. That's why the wheel arch panels look different. So I hope you've not based your conclusion on this.

I'm not sure it matters whether estate or hatch. One of the key components of the vbf is this black bits that sit a front of the roof rack in that picture of the combi; they push in and out allowing the floor to, erm, vary. There's also a part at the very back of the boot, behind the seats, that allows two "sticky outy bits" in the vbf to rotate between the 2 levels. It's actually quite a clever design, though much more complex than seat's version. If my boot wasn't full of ****e I'd take some pictures and show you. But it is, so you'll have to wait.

Cheers buddy, but if we're asking about it being retro fitted, surely the question is, what would be included in the equip you got. Without it you have s completely basic shape, not built up in any way. So wouldn't the side bits form part of any retro fit? To be honest if OP just wants a flatbed level with boot lip, it's a fairly straight forward mod regardless. Are the components for a retro fit even available Jaco2k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am speaking based on what I have seen on some other threads here - when I get to the car later today, I will make some photos of mine - but I can assure you the boot floor looks exactly the same as mine as in that car.

I have a pretty good idea of what to manufacture and how, but was looking into what are the options ;)

Right behind the seats, the VBF floor cars are pretty flat, mine has some indents - someone else had said that interior side panels also need replacing.

---

Yes, and I haven't even asked if the components are available - I might start hunting from breakers and adapt where needed, but the bottom sides and entire bottom configuration seem to be too complicated for a retrofit.

...my most likely approach is going to gravitate around some wood beams frame to bring the height up and some plywood floor with carpet on top.

That will allow me to remove it when needed and slide cargo in and out without breaking my back ;)

Edited by Jaco2k

Sorry to hijack..... What are those silver bars in the lower floor of the pic with the VBF? Do dividers come with the VBF set up as standard?

Thanks.

They're roof bars. The VBF provides a place to store them as well as the roll-up boot cover which you can also see in that pic.

They're roof bars. The VBF provides a place to store them as well as the roll-up boot cover which you can also see in that pic.

Cheers, thought they may have been due to the clamps on the left - I assume the clamps on the right are under the side cover bit.... So, are there any dividers??

I am speaking based on what I have seen on some other threads here - when I get to the car later today, I will make some photos of mine - but I can assure you the boot floor looks exactly the same as mine as in that car.

I have a pretty good idea of what to manufacture and how, but was looking into what are the options ;)

Right behind the seats, the VBF floor cars are pretty flat, mine has some indents - someone else had said that interior side panels also need replacing.

---

Yes, and I haven't even asked if the components are available - I might start hunting from breakers and adapt where needed, but the bottom sides and entire bottom configuration seem to be too complicated for a retrofit.

...my most likely approach is going to gravitate around some wood beams frame to bring the height up and some plywood floor with carpet on top.

That will allow me to remove it when needed and slide cargo in and out without breaking my back ;)

4by2 and some 13mm ply - go for it :)

4by2 and some 13mm ply - go for it :)

Might be even simpler - I just found the cover part from the VBK floor on some breaker, just a matter of sticking some logs under and job done - just need Spring/Summer to arrive to this godforsaken country so that I can work outside and I will do it ;)

Edited by Jaco2k
  • Like 1

I just found the cover part from the VBK floor on some breaker

It might be worth asking if they have the complete parts.

If you intend putting any serious weight on it I would stick with the 4by2 idea - the rearmost hinge is hardly supported, it is nowhere near as strong as the Mk2 VBF was.

I promise to document it as a project when I do it ;)

I agree the VBF can't be retrofitted without changing a lot of the interior parts, so it could still be done at a huge cost.

It won't be easy to make a variable floor, but it would be a relatively easy carpentry project to make a raised and hinged boot floor to give a flat load bay.

• 2 months later...

This is a place holder until I can clean up and post the videos, but.... Success!

I bought from a breaker the genuine VBF floor - it fit like a glove, but... of course on the sides - towards the bumper - there is as expected a gap. Doesn't bother me much and now I have the flat cargo bay I wanted.

A side note is... when in this configuration, the trunk size decreases by A LOT, but at least I always have the option to take it off when I need to carry something larger.

Will try to have the video tomorrow.

...summing it up, if you squint your eyes, it looks stock ;)