The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

Saga I'm glad you're still enjoying the car and can now open the taps a little more. ;) I was about to say feel free to borrow my pedal box to see how you like it, as it really does make a difference, but then I noticed you're in Somerset (I'm in Liverpool!). If you're fancying a go I don't mind posting it down for you to play about with for a couple of days. I had to remove it for my oil service today so it's currently just sat in the house anyway. PM me if you're interested. 

Let us know how you get on with the tech regarding the whine. 

On 20/05/2017 at 20:03, Gizmo68 said:

With reference to the loud bang, mine used to do this I put it down to a violent engine rock as the DSG changed gear (only did it around once a fortnight and not even when giving it WOT) 

I researched it a bit and went for an aluminium dogbone mount insert (Version 2) and it has cured the banging with very little if any extra vibration (even with a TDi)

This could be the answer and certainly worth a try.

Gismo68, one question.  Do you need to replace the centre bolt with a new one?

/rant ¡@$%^&*!!!! – I need to vent.

Not particular to this thread, I suppose, but this is where I feel I can have a little rant: I managed to keep my new Sportline pristine for five months before some jerk in a car park gave me my first scratches.

No dent, but scratches – a few of which are down to the metal. Front O/S wheel arch. This is the second tragedy in a week! Last Saturday, I picked up two tiny chips in the bonnet paintwork, round, about 1/2mm in diameter, down to the metal. I ordered some Corrida red touchup paint from Amazon (couldn't find any on the Škoda website) and it showed up the morning I noticed the wheel arch damage, which kept me a bit sane.

I got my Farécla G3 off the shelf and rubbed down the area. The scratches didn't disappear, but the colour filled in a bit. Then used the paint on the bare metal bits. Nice match. It's not a professional job by any standard, but unless you're looking for the damage, you don't notice it. So, I'll wait until a serious mishap before I bother the insurance people. This is a London car, after all.

Thanks for listening.

rant/

@freelunch really sorry to hear about that, don't you just love car parks...not! but always good to have a rant now and again to get things off your chest.

I picked my new car up yesterday and the running in has commenced.  Already managed over 300 miles and got to say very impressed so far.  Also impressed with the dealer, has been very helpful throughout the process and always forthcoming with information when asked.  They also put 3/4 a tank of fuel in the car which was good of them and already almost used up...so just filled her up with Tesco's 99 to get her used to the good stuff.

Will give more of a write up once I've had her for a few weeks a and got some more miles under the belt. 

• Like 1

I missed out on the running in period: my car came with 1,700 miles on it. I asked the dealer when they did the oil change, because I couldn't see anything in the log book. No oil change until one year. What? Whatever happened to break in oil and a 500-mile service?

My dealer splashed five quid's worth in the empty tank and sent me on my way. I wasn't expecting much, but my part exchange had 3/4 of a tank!

Enjoy your new Sportline! Great car...

• Like 1

Yep running has changed a bit over the years and with the new long life oils there is no more running in period oil change required.  I'm just following the general advice of rainmaker and co. and my own experiences to take it easy while going through the first 2k miles or so.  

Must say every other dealer I've bought cars from in the past has been stingy on the fuel.  The is the first time one of them has put a decent amount of fuel in...and so the should the amount of money splashed on these cars.

I certainly intend to enjoy it to the full, roll on the 2000 miles so I can really give it some beans :biggrin:

@freelunch That's awful mate, and I know exactly how you feel (and then some!). At least you're savvy enough to have been able to patch it up. As you say little knocks, scratches and chips are a fact of life for any car no matter how carefully maintained. Just get on with enjoying the drive and as and when it gets bad enough bung your favourite SMART repairer or bodyshop a few quid to bring it back up to standard. :)

On a more general note: After my enquiring about the dog bone insert for the DSG box, anyone interested would do well to heed @BillyJim's post which can be found here. Make sure you determine the correct insert for your own car before ordering. Caveat emptor and all that. :thumbup:

So, after 2 months and 5.000 km my general impression is: I love the car :)

Driving:

1. Ride is smooth even on 19 rims, suspention is really good. I usually drive in normal DCC which is fine for highway but when you get some poor road, comfort mode simply eats the holes up. I must say that sport mode hardens the suspention but doesn't improve much the handling in speed cornering, which I don't practise much anyway
  2. Engine is quiet, refined and elastic. Acceleration is decisive and strong enough (surely not close to my former love - 316 PS Volvo V8:D) but I agree, shifting pedals do the job better than DSG auto.
  3. Cabin isolation is very nice, luckily I have no wind noise issues some of you have (so far)
  4. I adore lane assist on the highway. It really helps with riding safety and comfort. Btw I once tried what happens if I don't obbey and don't grab the wheel on command. I just thought lane assist woulkd simply dissengage with a warning beep or something, but after few warnings the car gave me a very decisive short autobrake to wake me up. I almost wet my pants and grabbed the wheel in a sec:blink: I read later it would slowly stop the car with emergency blinking if I didn't react. Very well done, Skoda. Only minor complaint is that very rarely the car registers my indicator late and tries to fight me changing the lane. One more funny thing with lane assist. On a part of a highway I drive every day, there is a short unintentional smear of white paint near the left line, obviously left by a sloppy worker and it resembles the line. So my car suddenly tries to steer me to the right for a sec. It took me few days to grasp what the hell happens here:D
  5. Consumption is ok for a car like this, around 31 mpg. The same was obtained in 900 km highway drive, with around 95 mph and acc mode to sport which includes fast advancing and a lot of reving. Driving peacfully at cca 80 mph highway and 55 mph on normal roads brings back cca 33 mpg.

Equipment:

1. Kessy trunk opening is very reliable with one major flaw. Twice, when bending deep in the trunk, my foot was beneath the car and it started to close, which is annoying and can also be dangerous.
  2. Canton is very precise and pleasant, the music breathes which is more that can be expected in the car, but the sound becomes unpleasant and thin when playing loudly. Obviously paying the price for direct technology of the amps of today.
  3. The seats are exeptionally comfy. After 500 km drive I stepped out fresh. Only the cooling is a bit mild even on 3, which might become a problem when the real heat starts.
  4. Columbus is logical and well organized, search function could be a bit more evolved and I miss screen icon for volume off in NAV. Voice control operates good enough so it can be used in real life, it is not just a gimmick, I adore enormous ammount of space for music files (4 x 128 GB) so all my collection can seat on it in FLAC. A lot of work to be done, of course, for now only 1st hundred CD's ripped.
  5. I don't like washing nozzles they spray differently almost every time.

This is more or less all for now. If I forgot something I will post later.

Edited by niceasmay
spelling
  • Like 4

I've been maintaining, installing software and doing professional work on my own computer for 30 years. I've been going spare trying to route plan my trip to France and Belgium on the Columbus sat nav. Sheesh!

The main problem is the latest manual (online and hard copy that came with the car) does not conform with what I'm looking at in the car. For instance, the manual shows an icon on the main menu called My Tours. This is where you are supposed to route plan. I spent two days pushing the same buttons in the same sequence wondering why I couldn't find the icon. I kept seeing something called Waypoint mode that wasn't even in the manual. Two days...

Cut to the chase: The Columbus manual that came with the car and the latest version you can download are not accurate. The navigation section in the Superb Owners Manual is accurate.

It was only when I came here to moan that I realised. 

So, my routes are installed. I will report back after the 15th whether it all worked okay.

Oh, ps: A load of the places I wanted to list as destinations would not show up in the sat nav address book. I ended up finding latitude/longitude numbers from Google maps and going that route. I'm taking an atlas, just in case.

Edited by freelunch

why spending time on oldish builtin navigation systems,
>=5" smartphone with Waze, Google Map or Here We Go etc.

destination can be stored once in phone's planer and then call by any installed app

14 hours ago, freelunch said:

I've been maintaining, installing software and doing professional work on my own computer for 30 years. I've been going spare trying to route plan my trip to France and Belgium on the Columbus sat nav. Sheesh!

The main problem is the latest manual (online and hard copy that came with the car) does not conform with what I'm looking at in the car. For instance, the manual shows an icon on the main menu called My Tours. This is where you are supposed to route plan. I spent two days pushing the same buttons in the same sequence wondering why I couldn't find the icon. I kept seeing something called Waypoint mode that wasn't even in the manual. Two days...

Cut to the chase: The Columbus manual that came with the car and the latest version you can download are not accurate. The navigation section in the Superb Owners Manual is accurate.

It was only when I came here to moan that I realised. 

So, my routes are installed. I will report back after the 15th whether it all worked okay.

Oh, ps: A load of the places I wanted to list as destinations would not show up in the sat nav address book. I ended up finding latitude/longitude numbers from Google maps and going that route. I'm taking an atlas, just in case.

Always best to take a map just in case ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartiniB said:

why spending time on oldish builtin navigation systems,
>=5" smartphone with Waze, Google Map or Here We Go etc.

destination can be stored once in phone's planer and then call by any installed app

I'm going to have to take a closer look at this method. I had Android Auto on my phone when I first got the car. Unfortunately, my phone capacity and contract make running it problematic.

The torrential rain today got me wondering: where is the air intake on the 220? High? Low? It was an issue on my old Brera, because it was so low it was easy to get into deep water, if you know what I mean.

Drove a couple of hundred miles in a Hi-Lux 4x4 tractor type thing the other day and my head hurt afterwards. Got back to work and jumped in the Superb and had to check the rev counter to ensure the engine was running. 

Smooth as.....

Got some good stats from a longer run today:

IMG_20170604_202931.jpg

Edited by Bud
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed my first continental trip – 630 uneventful miles through France and Belgium. I love this car. A couple things to note:

As I sat waiting for our cross-channel train, I set my Units to KPH and Lights to "drive on the right". This made me legal AND sorted out the ACC perfectly. I used to have to convert MPH to KPH in my head but the car has done it for you. It also does not let you undertake on the motorway. Smart. Also, I hardly used my brake, as I could decrease my speed through a village and increase as we left town just using the ACC stalk. The traffic sign reader works as expected.

I created routes with "stopovers" to get Susan (we call our sat nav voice - it's a long story) to take the roads I wanted, like the D1 that runs from Revin to Charleville-Mézières along the Meuse. At one point, we turned around to go back to a restaurant we spotted. Susan never lost patience with me, but would not shut up. I switched her off.

Restarting the preset route, Susan wanted to take me back to Bruges, the beginning of the route. I had to delete stopovers previous to where we were to get Susan to take us in the right direction. Once I worked that out, the sat nav worked a treat.

Trip highlights: I've been to Bruges a couple times before. It's a beautiful town centre, but totally geared to fleecing tourists. I did have a moan about my £7.50 bowl of granola. The Park Restaurant was first class and I was happy to pay the price. Don't stay in Charleville-Mézières (specifically The Hotel Pelican) stay in Sedan in the hotel in the castle/fort:

Sedan.JPG

Nice red car in front of the Hotel Chateau Fort. A rally turned up with Austin Healy's, Triumphs, Aston Martins, Ferrari's, Lotus Elite and a bunch of chaps in their late 50's.

Lambo.JPG

I almost got in this Lambo parked outside our hotel in Bruges. I'm sure it's Corrida Red – the plate says "REDBULL"

Edited by freelunch
  • Like 1

It's a great car. I honestly don't know why you would have to spend more money. It looks good, it goes good. I wish it had a shorter turning radius, but that's a function of the long wheel base. Also, because it has such a big boot, we bought bigger suitcases. We filled them, then booked a hotel that gave us a room on the second floor and no way up except a winding metal staircase. D'oh!

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that I need to wax a bit lyrical as I think that others may be missing out.

I've now nearly completed 10K miles in my 220 SE L Exec Estate and the main thing that was really making me regret not stretching my budget to the 280 was the struggle to get the car away from a standstill briskly, without the TC cutting in and all the banging that then occurs. I think that others have referred to this elsewhere as axle tramp amongst other things. I'll just call it "banging"!

I'd resigned myself to using manual mode and the paddles when I wanted to to do this, then shifting up early, as soon as any traction issues became apparent. Without the racechip throttle pedal thingy I've found the throttle behaviour to be a bit  - not a lot - not  a lot - not a lot -- Turbo surge -- Loss of traction - change up.

I appreciate that a lot of people will just say that I need to learn to drive better and be more delicate on the throttle but where's the fun in not being able to mash it once in a while!

Anyway, getting to the point. The poxy banging. All i can say is the 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert, as mentioned elsewhere. This is a relevation. It really lets you push on and lean on the car a bit. Previously I always felt like i was having to ease off in order to account for any untoward banging that may occur when accelerating on uneven roads. This allows you to keep it planted, the TC light will work away in a not too intrusive fashion and the car will just get on with it and accelerate with no fuss.

Accelerate out of a bend and feather to keep the understeer under control, previously a bit of a bang and a short upshift. Now, keep it in the same gear and use the full rev range.

To say I'm astounded at the difference £50 and ten minutes can make is an understatement. I've been into tweaking cars for the past 25 years from a mk1 'tina through Wedge TVRs then R32 Skyline, MY95 Impreza STI2 and various others inbetween, this has been the most simple cheap and effective thing that I think I've ever done.

If you like pressing on and have a 220 TSI, i urge you to get one of these. The first 2 days I noticed a slight amount more vibration and gruffness but, even though it is probably still there, it is so slight that I don't even notice it now. ( I only fitted this on Sunday 6th July).

Obviously others will have different experiences to those that I have described above but I thought I'd share my personal thoughts and opinions on this.

Edited by Phil74

yes, 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert helps to avoid banging,

but little bit increase DSG and Engine sound in cabin

another week point are our shock absorbers, VW stopped to use them on Passats, but for Škoda they are "ok"

Edited by Gizmo
swearing removed

With reference to the 'bang' when the front wheels jump over joins in the road (or slip on a wet road) under acceleration, I had an update from the dealer (they were able to replacate this in the workshop on a rolling road).  Skoda tech. told the dealer that this behaviour is 'characteristic of the vehicle', i.e. they know about it.

Searching the internet it also seems to be a characteristic of Golfs and Passats and appears to be caused by the design of the dog-bone mount underneath the engine (as identified by Gizmo68).  The mount seems to have been designed for refinement more than anything else.

I won't be holding my breath for a recall.

5 hours ago, El Dingo said:

With reference to the 'bang' when the front wheels jump over joins in the road (or slip on a wet road) under acceleration, I had an update from the dealer (they were able to replacate this in the workshop on a rolling road).  Skoda tech. told the dealer that this behaviour is 'characteristic of the vehicle', i.e. they know about it.

Searching the internet it also seems to be a characteristic of Golfs and Passats and appears to be caused by the design of the dog-bone mount underneath the engine (as identified by Gizmo68).  The mount seems to have been designed for refinement more than anything else.

I won't be holding my breath for a recall.

Unfortunately, several things seem to be a 'characteristic' of this vehicle. 

• Like 2

I experienced the "bang" on my test drive, pulling into traffic and flooring it. Bang, bang... pulled off, banging stopped. I knew what was causing the problem having read about it here. I bought the car. 

Since then, I have had a "bang" once more, in wet weather. 

Basically, I have learned to live with it, easing on the throttle gradually on the way up to flooring it. I have read about Gizmo's dog-bone mount with interest. It's the kind of money I might spend without a thought, if the "banging" was more prevalent, but it's not.