good web design companies

Joel_vRS

What kind of thing do you need? If it's not too complicated you may be better off (financially) finding someone who can code rather than paying a design company?

Suppose it depends on the company? Doesn't Josh do some web design?

What sort of web disign are you looking for i.e. database or just a normal web site .....how many pages .....

Have a look at similar sites to the one you would like, there is always a contact number for the company at the bottom of the page somewhere

If it's just something like a few pages for a home page website I or a few others could put something together.....or buy MS frontpage and do it yourself it's not difficult

.....or buy MS frontpage and do it
Please, god, no. Unless it's a personal site (blog etc.) please don't use Frontpage or any of the WYSIWYG programs unless you know what you're doing.

A bad website as a face of a company/business is easily destructive to your brand. A 2/3rd year student with knowledge of XHTML/CSS will give you a nicer, more accessible, page than MS Frontpage will.

Sorry, I am a web designer and if you knew the kind of code that Frontpage/GoLive/Dreamweaver spit out in unqualified hands... Urrrgg.

If you don't need database back ends or anything handling Credit/Debit Cards, anyone local with real coding knowledge will be much cheaper than a design company and could get similar results. Graphic/web design students are literally begging for this kind of work, as it's a good portfolio builder to have a 'professional' website. Just look at some of their work first and see if it's up to scratch.

it is for a company looking for more of a functional/marteking/professional looking site i can and have had a go myself to at least get company contact details on the web but now its time to take to the next level and no one in haouse really has the expertise or time to a massive web site... as a compnay we are still undersided on a final breif but one thing we do know at the moment there be no e commerce on there... we are a manufactureing company so dont deal directly we selling the web site needs to just a promo for what we do...

Jason thanks i'll look in to it

Joel

it is for a company looking for more of a functional/marteking/professional looking site i can and have had a go myself to at least get company contact details on the web but now its time to take to the next level and no one in haouse really has the expertise or time to a massive web site... as a compnay we are still undersided on a final breif but one thing we do know at the moment there be no e commerce on there... we are a manufactureing company so dont deal directly we selling the web site needs to just a promo for what we do...

Jason thanks i'll look in to it

Joel

As it is an online brochure for a company get it done properly....and get a few quotes and rough layouts before you decide ...there will be one that will stand out straight away

• Administrators

Joel,

Depending on what your after, drop me a call on 07900 826101

By day I work for an IBM premier partner so can give you advise/ideas on larger technical projects. Or if it's not at that level advise on other aspects. I've been writing small bespoke applications for over 9 years, many for use on intranets or websites.

I am not an out and out graphics designer, more technical development. That said I know a good number of people who will do a "design" for the techies to wrap around the functionailty.

/Edit Must type faster :)

From your last reply I begin to think at this stage your after a solid three(+) page "www". The "www" is a Who What Where structure, short and sweet to the point. Or a package broadly classed as a CMS, content management system in it's lightest form. The latter although carries excessive functionailty for many, does provide a very easy and flexible frame for non tecnical people to expand the resources through web interfaces, prices range from zero to 15+k +implementation.

When though you say your not dealing with the public, will there be requirements for your customers to perhaps track through to systems in the back end or consume services and so on. Taking the time for a a few thoughts now, could save you thousands (commercial rates) later when you decide to expand.

One bit of advice I would give if you do get a 'pro' in, is to make sure your brief is as tight and un-ambiguous as possible before letting the designer start work. About four or five years ago, our company went 'Woo! The Internet is here! We must get a website!', and got someone in. The bosses wrote down everything that they wanted to include, but gave no more direction than that. At first everything seemed fine, and everyone was very happy. But then we started noticing glitches, like how slow it was on dial-up (we had ISDN), and the fact you couldn't access all the menus if you had a 15" screen. Later, we also found it was virtually impossible to add anything new to what was already there. And when it came to changing ISP, we discovered how large the website really was, and how much stuff there was on there that nobody looked at or even knew about!

As a result, Muggins here has done something in Dreamweaver (and admittedly has done a teensy bit of tidying-up on the HTML) that contains only the IMPORTANT info, has far better graphics (IMHO), and downloads much, much faster. I've never had an IT or grapic design lesson in my life, and I'm sure Mort would be horrified if he looked at the source code, but it's been checked on all the major browsers, and even has a non-MSIE version to take account of certain differences in the way Firefox etc. display text. I'm sure a proper designer could do something a lot more streamlined, but if it's only information that you're wanting to display, you might not be getting the best value for money unless you're absolutely rigid in what you want the designer to do.

And most important, if the designer says 'I see what you're getting at, but I think this would be much better', don't just take it at face value, whatever you do!

Just my personal feelings on the matter...

• Administrators
Hmm.I'm interested too.Trying to drag a little firm of lawyers into the future.Basic website really

Is it impossible to give an idea of cost? (by pm if appropriate)

It's not impossible to give an idea, but it really is dependant on how custom you want the build to be.

A basic site, my three page www's range from nothing, depending honestly on what your actually trying to achieve to a bit more. If your after custom designs, flash etc then start adding on the pounds. A straight forward simple site should always be