No postcodes in Columbus Satnav?

Just got my Superb 3 L&K 220 last week and am delighted with it except...

There does not appear to be a postcode option for the destination. Is it me or is this correct?

I can't believe any modern Satnav would not have this option!

No worries we all tripped up here!

It pops up under City... Then on the bottom left you can select Postcode

• Like 3

Perfect - They could have made the postcode button even smaller to make it even more difficult!

Another question is...

How do you plan a route to go through or past a certain on route to the destination. I've looked at waypoints but don't seem to be able to do it.

If I want to travel to Shrewsbury from Crewe the satnav chooses three routes all going through Whitchurch. I want to go via Market Drayton.

It must be possible but SWMBO is giving me grief for spending too much time in the car 'tinkering'.

Perfect - They could have made the postcode button even smaller to make it even more difficult!

Another question is...

How do you plan a route to go through or past a certain on route to the destination. I've looked at waypoints but don't seem to be able to do it.

If I want to travel to Shrewsbury from Crewe the satnav chooses three routes all going through Whitchurch. I want to go via Market Drayton.

It must be possible but SWMBO is giving me grief for spending too much time in the car 'tinkering'.

If you pick you're route, then you have the option of adding a stopover of course - I think that when it gives you the route options you might be able to drag the route on the map, but I am not sure. I don't ever get much difference in the 3 route options so I ended up turning it off and going for the fastest. But you're right, I don't believe there is a 'travel via' option during route setup, just the option of adding a stopover

Another question is...

Nothing compared to the grief you will get when lost................

Pages 73-6 in the S3 Columbus manual will help. As above, you need to be in Waypoint mode. There is also something called 'Transit' mode - which as far as I can tell is not about panel vans and warp driving!

Should that be"warped" driving ?

• Like 1

Superb Sat Nav. How old are the maps??

Tried 5 other Sat Nav apps on my mobile and ALL have the latest layout for the new A453 section from Jct24 M1 into Nottingham, Superb sat-nav doesn't.

Coming home after collecting the car from the dealers the sat-nav tried to direct me across the central reservation of the dual carriageway twice onto side roads that no longer exist, tried to direct me down a side road which was actually an entrance to a works depot with locked gates across it, and unbelievably tried to send me down a road that has been closed to traffic for the last 15 years!!! Checked the Skoda website and sadly I have the latest maps :0(

Tried to navigate to a postcode in Derby, entered DE but the sat-nav would not let me enter the next two digits (21), insisting I could only go to "deepchurch rd" wherever that is. Tried to input the code three more times. Eventually after exiting navigation then going back in it allowed me to put the postcode in.

Think I'll order a brodit mount and stick with TomTom on my iPhone...

Why not update the maps, chances are very high the one supplied at the factory is not the latest one.

The Superb MK3 map updates are free, all you need is an internet connection and an SD Card.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/columbus.pdf

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com

Edited by mannyo

Why not update the maps, chances are very high the one supplied at the factory is not the latest one.

The Superb MK3 map updates are free, all you need is an internet connection and an SD Card.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/columbus.pdf

Guess you missed my comment "Checked the Skoda website and sadly I have the latest maps :0(

"

Guess you missed my comment "Checked the Skoda website and sadly I have the latest maps :0(

"

Was that the update portal, I've added that link. The skoda website itself actually seems to contain old data.

Hi,

Of course with the heated ( metalised ) front windscreen i wonder if a normal SatNav would work-- somehow doubt it..............

Does say on the above site that the next site update is June 2016.

Edited by david 1220

GPS signal strength is much reduced with that screen. Mine occasionally loses lock, and frequently 'drifts'. Interestingly though the dashcam which also uses GPS never loses lock. Nav at the bottom, Cam at the top. I was wondering if the Canton dash speaker magnet is also affecting, but haven't got round to moving it to check.

Another question is...

One option is to simply set the sat nav to Market Drayton from the off and then when you get there, change the address to Shrewsbury.

• 1 year later...

And my postcode option is not full UK postcode. Neither does it recognise postcodes which relate to a location, not a specific house or building!

Try these: M45 8GT; M90 5DL; WA15 8XQ

Anyone been told the same as me - that the maps can't be updated?

Help!

5 hours ago, Yorkie6947 said:

And my postcode option is not full UK postcode. Neither does it recognise postcodes which relate to a location, not a specific house or building!

Try these: M45 8GT; M90 5DL; WA15 8XQ

Anyone been told the same as me - that the maps can't be updated?

Help!

Is this in your 170 TDi? In which case you have a Superb II with an RNS unit and not the MiB fitted in the Superb III so you're actually asking in the wrong forum.

Yes, it can be updated and it sounds like your RNS maps need to be updated and possibly the firmware too.

Firmware and Map updates are provided on DVD for the Columbus or SD Card for the Amundsen. Any official Škoda dealer should be able to source them but they aren't exactly cheap, though some dealers will do the update for you for a lesser charge or often free if you're having the car serviced at the same time.

Try looking at other sources like eBay or search/ask in the Superb II and ICE forums.

38 minutes ago, Yorkie6947 said:

Nope, this is in my Superb III - 2016, 150 TDi

In that case you've been given duff information regarding map updates.

Maps are free to download from the Škoda update portal using your VIN (the current map version is ECE 2017/2018) or find the direct non-VIN download in this thread.

Firmware updates are done by the dealer as they are downloaded from the Škoda server. If you can't get full postcodes I'd suggest you ask a reputable dealer to check for a firmware update. If it were an ad hoc request the dealer can charge for the time but if you're presenting them with an infotainment fault, which yours appears to suffer, then it should be a warranty matter.

As for Postcodes, I can fully input those you've listed on my 2015 MY16 Columbus with the 2017/2018 maps and these are the destinations it comes up with using purely the postcode...

M45 8GT = places the destination on the east side of Stanley Street, Manchester.

M90 5DL = places the destination at the north side of the A538/Runger Lane roundabout junction.

WA15 8XQ = places the destination at the start of Louis Paulhan Way on the west side of Manchester Airport.