vRS TDi occasionaly slow to fire up.

Hi Rockey, disappointed to hear that about skoda dealer in Ireland as I have this issue also, and was going to raise it again at next service in a month or so. Mentioned it at first service last year, and that it only happened the odd time when starting for the first time in the day. In fairness they took the car in the night before so they could start from cold in the morning, but of course it started fine. And as Aki and others have said earlier, no error code shows up.

When I since found this thread I thought thought happy days, they'll have something fix on the system for it next time it's in.

One thing I have noticed is that it's more likely to happen with mine if it's been not started for more than a day - last weekend it wasn't run at all on Sunday, and stuttered to a start on Monday morning.

My wife's 2011 octavia has always started first time, every time, so I know it's not right. Dealers seem powerless if nothing shows on computer. Would be great it anyone from UK or other area who has had joy with a fix had any info on the tech bulletin from Skoda, although I imagine most people are just happy to get it sorted and don't push for more detail.

I don't post often here, but it's a great forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Rockey, disappointed to hear that about skoda dealer in Ireland as I have this issue also, and was going to raise it again at next service in a month or so. Mentioned it at first service last year, and that it only happened the odd time when starting for the first time in the day. In fairness they took the car in the night before so they could start from cold in the morning, but of course it started fine. And as Aki and others have said earlier, no error code shows up.

When I since found this thread I thought thought happy days, they'll have something fix on the system for it next time it's in.

One thing I have noticed is that it's more likely to happen with mine if it's been not started for more than a day - last weekend it wasn't run at all on Sunday, and stuttered to a start on Monday morning.

My wife's 2011 octavia has always started first time, every time, so I know it's not right. Dealers seem powerless if nothing shows on computer. Would be great it anyone from UK or other area who has had joy with a fix had any info on the tech bulletin from Skoda, although I imagine most people are just happy to get it sorted and don't push for more detail.

I don't post often here, but it's a great forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, it happens more often with cold engine but also with half-warm or warm engine.

Mine is not that bad (usually starts with 2-3 sec. cranking, sometimes with a big jerk) so I haven't asked for an update so far. Maybe next time. :)

(125k km on the clock and the issue is here from the beginning.)

• 1 month later...

Mine has started to do this every single time the car is started from cold. No issues when starting from warm.

Literally every single time.

I've been videoing what it does to go to the dealer armed with something (when I get to a computer rather than My phone I'll upload an example).

Will start the onslaught with the dealer today (it feels like a glow plug issue to me...it didn't used to do it)!

Mine also does this. But sometimes it doesn't for 10 starts then the problem will show and take 3-4 seconds to start. Normally shows the issue from cold. I always wait till the coil light is out before attempting to start and since I have the DSG it isn't clutch related and once you turn the key and press the brake pedal it starts "automatically" anyway, you don't need to hold the key / pedal.

Be nice if someone knows more details to get the dealers to action some "fix"

I did the same - filmed it happening multiple times and showed the dealer and they still dismissed it. Please update if you have any luck.

It's booked in to Hughes at Farnham Common in a few week's time.

Of course, both last night and this morning it didn't do it! Typical really.

But, regardless, it's booked it for a few days with a courtesy car, so will wait and see.

It was, but it's getting them to do it that appears to the be the problem.

If it was a public service bulletin, they'd just do it...

There is a very helpful guy from a Skoda garage here, I think RRG.

Maybe you could try to ask him if he can give you the service bulletin number to discuss with your dealer.

As there is a service bulletin I don't see why your dealer would be against applying the software update as providing you have the symptoms described in the report they should be paid by Skoda for the updated.

Been to Skoda dealer today to collect car. Long story but asked for copy of all work carried out since new. It was in last year for new ignition barell due to customer saying about delayed starting.

Not sure what the ignition barrel will do for starting because everything is electronically controlled now.

When you turn the key to "start" position it isnt directly connected to the starter, the ECU decides when to activate it.

For a normal start you should just turn to position 3 and immediately release.the key.

The ECU decides when the glow-plugs, fuel pump etc are ready & will start the engine.

If you turn the key & hold it in position until the engine is running, you override the ECU control & can potentially start before e.g. glow plugs are ready.

However, I would expect this only causes a starting problem/delay as températures get colder.

Had mine in a dealers in Ireland for a service a few weeks back and mentioned the problem and about service bulletin etc. They said nothing showed on diagnostic and all seemed fine. Usual waffle and nothing found, nothing done.

I have suddenly had issues with mine where it takes 2-3 seconds to fire up but is intermittent. 63 plate with 21k miles. Took it to dealer today and had a phone call from them saying that Skoda UK recommends a software update which they have done. Time will tell whether it will work.

• Like 1

Had mine at dealer today and they denied any service bulletin re: issue but did offer a software update. 2hrs 30mins later got car back so will monitor how it performs.

Had mine at dealer today and they denied any service bulletin re: issue but did offer a software update. 2hrs 30mins later got car back so will monitor how it performs.

Did software update resolve issue?

Not sure what the ignition barrel will do for starting because everything is electronically controlled now.

When you turn the key to "start" position it isnt directly connected to the starter, the ECU decides when to activate it.

For a normal start you should just turn to position 3 and immediately release.the key.

The ECU decides when the glow-plugs, fuel pump etc are ready & will start the engine.

If you turn the key & hold it in position until the engine is running, you override the ECU control & can potentially start before e.g. glow plugs are ready.

However, I would expect this only causes a starting problem/delay as temp?ratures get colder.

Yip totally agree dude I'm just going off paper work o have from Skoda. As mentioned earlier when I first had car or was slow to fire up. I believe it's down to the way the system on the VRS works. And owners getting use to it.

Cheers

Andy.

I'm having this issue with mine, took it in and they kept it to look at and told me nothing logged and Skoda UK report no known faults and no solution. They've given me the car back but don't know where to go from here to be honest!