Cruise control not working

Could also be switch on clutch or brake pedals - either one of these knocks the cruise control off so if faulty it won't allow it to work

Edited by bigjohn

Hi!

I have the same problem as you. My cruise control wont enable what so ever. Just bought a 2010 Octavia 1.6 tdi 4x4. First thing I tried was to open the stalk, then clean the circuitboards contacts for the switches, but this did not do it for me. Looked pretty nice, so had a feeling it wouldnt make a difference. Guess it is rather a switch on the clutch or brake pedal.

Where are those located anyways? Easy to access?

Hi!

I have the same problem as you. My cruise control wont enable what so ever. Just bought a 2010 Octavia 1.6 tdi 4x4. First thing I tried was to open the stalk, then clean the circuitboards contacts for the switches, but this did not do it for me. Looked pretty nice, so had a feeling it wouldnt make a difference. Guess it is rather a switch on the clutch or brake pedal.

Where are those located anyways? Easy to access?

I think the clutch "switch" is actually a sensor on the clutch master cylinder

Brake light switch is above the pedal (are brake lights working ok?)

Hi:),

Yes, brake lights are all working ok. So no issues there. I might mention that I have a fault on the AFS (no bending light function), but I dont think that should have anything to do with the cruise control..?

Might need to take it to the dealer to let them have a go on it.

if the ecu had been changed in the past that can cause the same problem. My hatch back has the same problem. The cruse control don't work. Took it to the dealer - they diagnosed that the ecu had been changed. Would cost bout a grand to change.
Couldn't guarantee it'll work though.

Hi:),

Yes, brake lights are all working ok. So no issues there. I might mention that I have a fault on the AFS (no bending light function), but I dont think that should have anything to do with the cruise control..?

Might need to take it to the dealer to let them have a go on it.

There are 2 pairs of contacts on the brake light switch. Just because your brake lights are working doesn't mean the switch for the ECU (which the cruise control uses) is working also. However this normally flags up an EML so you would probably know about it.

Best thing to do is get VCDS and see if both the brake light switch and clutch switch are working correctly. You can moitor the outputs in the measuring blocks and observe the values change as you are pressing the pedals

Edited by SuperbTWM

Thanks for all replies :)!

Looks like I have to take it to the dealer to get a diagnostic for further investigations (they will also need to check out my headlight issues)!

Will report back when I know more.

• 3 months later...

just bought my octavia at weekend to find on motorway home that the cruise did not work.

thanks to the pdf mikeholroyd posted on how to clean the switch I now have it working.

unbelievable how easy it was to do this.

thankyou

• 4 years later...

Am trying to download the file "Cleaning the cruise.pdf" from Mikeholroyd posted 9th April 2016 but cant get it to download. Have just joined today.

I bought a Skoda Superb Mk2 2010 yesterday and the cruise control does not respond at all.

Can you please help me get access to this guide on how to clean the contacts on the cruise control stalk please?

41 minutes ago, Magan said:

Am trying to download the file "Cleaning the cruise.pdf" from Mikeholroyd posted 9th April 2016 but cant get it to download. Have just joined today.

I bought a Skoda Superb Mk2 2010 yesterday and the cruise control does not respond at all.

Can you please help me get access to this guide on how to clean the contacts on the cruise control stalk please?

Works for me...

Reattached to this message if that helps :/

Cleaning the cruise.pdf

Langers2k, Thank you very much for your help. I have the pdf now. I  had been using Internet explorer 11 browser and this would not download it. I switched to Microsoft edge browser and hey presto the pdf then appeared.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Evening, I've just bought a Mk2 Octavia estate and my cruise control isn't working either.

I'm fresh faced to the group, can someone tell me what VCDS is please?

Thanks for your help!

On 01/05/2021 at 17:49, Bledriapllwyd said:

Evening, I've just bought a Mk2 Octavia estate and my cruise control isn't working either.

I'm fresh faced to the group, can someone tell me what VCDS is please?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum. VCDS is a diagnostic program made by Ross Tech and normally run on a laptop. It gives almost dealer levels of diagnostics and module programming. Link to their website ROSS TECH 

• Like 1

@Bledriapllwyd...... Welcome too...............Likely yours just needs the contacts cleaning in the stalk........

Topic covered a number of times

Even reading through this post from the beginning may help you help yourself... good luck with it.

1 minute ago, Tilt said:

@Bledriapllwyd...... Welcome too...............Likely yours just needs the contacts cleaning in the stalk........

Topic covered a number of times

Even reading through this post from the beginning may help you help yourself... good luck with it.

Ignore that. I see you have tried this already............... mentioned in the other topic.