"Notchy" gearchange on VRS

I have just received my new VRS (2.0 TSI 6 speed manual), after driving a 2.0 Octavia Sport for the last 10 years. Whilst I am pleased with the finish and "tech" on the new car, I am not so sure about the gearchange. Compared to my old car (which also had the 6 speed manual box), the gearchange is decidedly "notchy", particularly from 1st to 2nd. One reason for the purchase was the great gearbox I had on the previous Sport, and my wifes new Fabia also has this 6 speed box (and this is as smooth as my previous car). Has anyone else noticed this and could it be remedied by adjustment?

Join the club, mine is an se business and I have exactly the same problem, commonly called cold crunch. I think it is inherent in the design of that particular gbox, due to the type of synchro used. If the change gets better with temperature it's this problem. There was an issue a few years back where a thinner oil could be used done at the dealer, however no one knows if there is any detrimental effects from doing this. Regarding the adjustment I hope this will help but I am not holding my breath.

I think there are two issues, one is the adjustment and the other notcy change. Mine has done 4k and is a pig when cold, 1st to 2nd shift is notchy , but some times getting reverse and first requires a few goes when it's on a hill for some strange reason, I think reseting the cable would cure this but not the notchy change, that's either inherent in the design or requires a thinner grade of oil, withing design spec, as vw do two for this gearbox, there very sensitive tor the oil viscosity. I'm hoping it will get better over time.

• 2 years later...

I've recently bought an Octavia VRS (2.0 TDI 6 speed manual) that has done around 8000 miles.  I'm really impressed with everything about the car except the gear changes. It's definitely "notchy", particularly getting it into 1st to 2nd gears. Selecting reverse also needs quite a lot of effort to get it into gear. Has anyone managed to get this problem fixed at their dealer and what was the solution? I love the car but this does let the whole driving experience down. 

I sometimes have problems getting a smooth change 1st to 2nd, I have to concentrate on letting the clutch out slower and more controlled for the first to  second change after that though everything is very smooth. I think 1st gear is a little short and a five speed box might have been better

The linkage needs adjusted, basically a pin is used to hold the shifter in neutral, and the cable is adjusted next to the gearbox, plenty of vids on utube of how to duo this

9 hours ago, skippy41 said:

The linkage needs adjusted, basically a pin is used to hold the shifter in neutral, and the cable is adjusted next to the gearbox, plenty of vids on utube of how to duo this

Looks simple enough. Would only take a couple of minutes if there wasn't a bloody great airbox (possibly other stuff as well?) that needs to be removed to get at the linkage at the gearbox end.