Windows 10 - worth it yet?

kilted

Just another heads up, win10 ditches your english UK language packs even when you set the install & verything to english UK! Double check in Language options etc, all looks fine BUT in Control panel / clock, lang & region / Language....you might find that English (Uk) is not the top in the list, so change that to top, then even with this as top on restart it defaults to US....So go back to where you were & click on options far right on English UK & it might show up as download language pack English UK..!!

"English (United Kingdom) Language Pack - Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems - (KB3109596)"

25MB size & takes awhile to install...

finally managed to get my laptop to 1.9GB RAM usage at idle with win10. Desktop is still over 3GB just typing this!! with no other processes!! Still got loads of M$ stuff to turn off...

Just another heads up, win10 ditches your english UK language packs even when you set the install & verything to english UK! Double check in Language options etc, all looks fine BUT in Control panel / clock, lang & region / Language....you might find that English (Uk) is not the top in the list, so change that to top, then even with this as top on restart it defaults to US....So go back to where you were & click on options far right on English UK & it might show up as download language pack English UK..!!

Haven't had that problem myself. No issues with setting UK English to default.

Haven't had that problem myself. No issues with setting UK English to default.

I had loads of other various issues, mainly because of certain April  updates to win7, which loads of other people are having. Typical m$ balls up.

Touch wood I have sorted most of them out, still have to remove the useless photo app, which makes the older WPV look like photoshop!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen the latest Win10 news??

A woman took them to the small claims court in the USA over a stealth Win10 install wrecking her business PC, and got a $10,000 settlement (plus $90 court fees).

It will be interesting to see if this would work in the UK.

Finally fixed my Realtek audio driver which the win10 update kindly ripped out & replaced with an older 2014 version which meant even with the mute button on it would randomly thrown up system sounds or utube audio at full volume....nice!

Finally fixed my Realtek audio driver which the win10 update kindly ripped out & replaced with an older 2014 version which meant even with the mute button on it would randomly thrown up system sounds or utube audio at full volume....nice!

Until next update day, when Win10 will rip it out again.

Windows 10 did an auto install when the Wife booted the pc a couple of weeks ago while I was working away. Wasn't too worried as my ASUS notebook runs Windows 10.

The only problem with the PC was that I couldn't download a driver for the onboard graphics on the motherboard and the screen display was distorted. I have bought a PC express graphics card which is Windows 10 compatible and now all is OK.

Until next update day, when Win10 will rip it out again.

Hopefully it won't as I have the pro version & I know there was a setting to tell it just download manufacturers drivers & not generic ones which I checked.

Windows 10 did an auto install when the Wife booted the pc a couple of weeks ago while I was working away. Wasn't too worried as my ASUS notebook runs Windows 10.

The only problem with the PC was that I couldn't download a driver for the onboard graphics on the motherboard and the screen display was distorted. I have bought a PC express graphics card which is Windows 10 compatible and now all is OK.

Just use a win7 or win8 64bit driver, my very old Epsom printer still works, so does it's scan programme, just using win7 64 bit drivers. as no win10 drivers made for it.

Hopefully it won't as I have the pro version & I know there was a setting to tell it just download manufacturers drivers & not generic ones which I checked.

Just use a win7 or win8 64bit driver, my very old Epsom printer still works, so does it's scan programme, just using win7 64 bit drivers. as no win10 drivers made for it.

But they have proved that they cannot be trusted, so how do you know the next update wont untick it??

Have you seen the latest Win10 drive?? a full sized, randomly timed BSOD (Blue Screen Of Despair) of nagware telling you to update.

Have you seen the latest Win10 drive?? a full sized, randomly timed BSOD (Blue Screen Of Despair) of nagware telling you to update.

what drive?, having Pro I can defer updates more so than other win10 versions. & currently no BSOD on both Pro machines & managed to get the idle down to 1.7GB & 2.01GB memory usage at long last!!

If you've already got Win10, then you shouldnt get the nagware telling you to install it!!

A whole screen pop-up, with 2 big, bold options to install now or install later; and down in the corner a tiny, blue on blue option to "**** off and never darken my door again"; or something like that :D

I've got an i5 laptop which is still nagging me that there's only 27 days to update. I'm normally an early updater of new OS but I've seen nothing of Win 10 that makes me want to update from Windows 7.

The latest nag screen also promises that I can go back to Win 7 within 31 days, but tbh I don't trust them to put it back to how I have it now.

A whole screen pop-up, with 2 big, bold options to install now or install later; and down in the corner a tiny, blue on blue option to "**** off and never darken my door again"; or something like that :D

If you have been running Windows 7 you won't notice too many differences in running Windows 10. My ASUS touch screen notebook came with windows 8, and it let me update to 10 soon after I bought it. I now have windows 10 running on the PC from my previous install of windows 7. Apart from having to fit a PCIe graphics card the only other issue is it sometimes stalls on boot up at the A drive, I still have customers with old DOS machines and I have to load through a floppy disk, so I need an A drive for downloading their software etc.

I agree the auto upgrade was a pain and I kept on putting off because everytime you upgrade there is always some niggles that take a while to sort out and I have been too busy to sit their and sort the issues out. Having had the upgrade forced on to me I'm happy with it.

Try it it's not Satan coming to screw your pc over. :no:

I've got an i5 laptop which is still nagging me that there's only 27 days to update. I'm normally an early updater of new OS but I've seen nothing of Win 10 that makes me want to update from Windows 7.

The latest nag screen also promises that I can go back to Win 7 within 31 days, but tbh I don't trust them to put it back to how I have it now.

Try running "Never10" (google it), and you will never be bothered again.

This nifty little program saved my mothers PC even AFTER Win10 had installed and was asking to reboot.

If you've already got Win10, then you shouldnt get the nagware telling you to install it!!

I got the nagware ages ago on win7 but installed winX something or other which removed the KB305008? patch & stopped the other rebranded versions. No the current problems I am having are all on win10, mainly because of win10 ditching the manufacturers drivers & installing what it thinks are better ones, which are win drivers & older than the manufacturers ones!

Latest problem was a total freeze black screen with 12GB of memory usage (16GB installed) when using iTunes to transfer music to my IPad mini. ArrgggHHH....plus my IPad decided to copy twice all the music, so had to flatten it all! Bloody Apple!.

I remember problems at the beginning with win7, so I know the first few weeks/months is sorting setting etc to get it to run reliably. It runs way better than win7 & way faster, & least I have 9yrs of updates.

Remember though if you do want windows 10 for free, it must be installed before the 27th July deadline.

There is a subscription api buried in the kernal, so dont count on it being free for very long; or expect crippleware, where very basic functions work, but if you want music/video you have to pay a subscription for "apps".

There is a subscription api buried in the kernal, so dont count on it being free for very long; or expect crippleware, where very basic functions work, but if you want music/video you have to pay a subscription for "apps".

And you have proof this is what it is for?

And you have proof this is what it is for?

No, no one knows exactly what it is for (yet), just speculating.

That and the fact that Win10 breaks all of the "Media Edition" functions from Win7 upwards, suggesting this might be the first paid for subscription.

I can see this going the way they have steered Office :- proprietary saved file systems and yearly subscriptions, with all of your media files in the "Cloud" and deleted if you fail to pay (al la Apple IOS).

It will be a cold day in hell before I run Win10 on my PCs. If they ever do a proper port of my favourite games to Linux, I might even ditch Win7.

I've got 10 set-up on my less frequently used machine and frankly, every time I have to use that machine, I regret doing so. The more I use W10, the less I like it - i.e. the reverse of what I experienced with 8.1.

The 8.1. interface is so much easier to use, particularly if coupled, with a keyboard with an embedded touch pad.

The system they have used in W10  to combine the separate App and desktop windows into one is unbelievably frustrating and entails chasing the cursor all over the LHS of the screen just to invoke the different aspects.

Much better system would be to use the type of icon system used by many of the on-line  digital mapping and photo programs e.g. panaramio.

Where  contributing users have plonked several photos of the same location on the same point in the map, if a viewer clicks on a photo icon where several different photos are geo-tagged it expands into a "Hub and sateillite" format icon enabling the user to select one of the photos - so multiple choice selection is enabled without chasing the cursor all over the screen - much more effricient, without the need to be linear like the task bar stack.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Cannot get email to work, at all, using my BT email address and password

If you're finding that you can't login, go to on chat support and ask them to reset the password and then unblock the url. Sometimes I get this and I can't do anything until they do something with my account and reset the password for me.

If you're finding that you can't login, go to on chat support and ask them to reset the password and then unblock the url. Sometimes I get this and I can't do anything until they do something with my account and reset the password for me.

Sounds more like a settings issue.

As I say there are BT mail and BT yahoo mail settings as they're still moving people between the 2. They're not 100% interchangeable and would explain both your issues.