Windows 10 - worth it yet?

kilted

• Administrators

Sounds more like a settings issue.

As I say there are BT mail and BT yahoo mail settings as they're still moving people between the 2. They're not 100% interchangeable and would explain both your issues.

Gave up using their webservice so I just linked it to my outlook with the rest of my accounts.

Gave up using their webservice so I just linked it to my outlook with the rest of my accounts.

If it works in outlook, it'll work in mail as it uses the same account back end in both programs. Mail is essentially outlook stripped bare of anything but basic mail functions.

I don't believe in aliens or Santa Clause, but I reckon Apple must have slipped a couple of softies into MS to make sure that Win10 does its job, ie of moving plenty people across to an ipad for general stuff like surfing.  My netbook running Win10 is making me say very bad words - and if wife is not about, I borrow her ipad!  I don't want to move to Apple ipad, but it is that or exploding with rage!

What they may have done is change the encryption protocol used, something they fail to mention in a lot of webmail program guides, or (like Google does sometimes), blocked the email program as "unsecure" and require you to log in via webmail and confirm you want to use the "unsecure" email program.

What they may have done is change the encryption protocol used, something they fail to mention in a lot of webmail program guides, or (like Google does sometimes), blocked the email program as "unsecure" and require you to log in via webmail and confirm you want to use the "unsecure" email program.

Works for now, but soon Google will block any mail app classed as obsolete/unsupported or insecure there will be no override.

Not sure when, but it is coming in to force imminently

Works for now, but soon Google will block any mail app classed as obsolete/unsupported or insecure there will be no override.

Not sure when, but it is coming in to force imminently

I keep my copy of Thunderbird completely up to date, have extra security extensions AND run everything through Mailwasher first, yet Google regularly claim it is not as secure as their crappy webmail interfarce.

If they try to force me to use the webmail interfarce, they will lose a customer dating back to prehistoric times.

• Administrators

If it works in outlook, it'll work in mail as it uses the same account back end in both programs. Mail is essentially outlook stripped bare of anything but basic mail functions.

It's not the account, the chat support said the link gets blocked for some reason and it sometimes directs to Yahoo email, all I get on the page is something went wrong and it's an endless loop. They rest the password and do something else and then I'm able to login again. Certainly weird so not totally sure what goes on but it's been happening since the mail merged with Yahoo.

It's not the account, the chat support said the link gets blocked for some reason and it sometimes directs to Yahoo email, all I get on the page is something went wrong and it's an endless loop. They rest the password and do something else and then I'm able to login again. Certainly weird so not totally sure what goes on but it's been happening since the mail merged with Yahoo.

They've been with yahoo for many years. They're moving away from Yahoo and doing it themselves.

Are you using imap or pop yahoo settings, and are these the BT yahoo settings or just yahoo (again different).

Are you definitely on BT yahoo mail still? If you log into their webmail you'll be able to identify which mail you're using

I keep my copy of Thunderbird completely up to date, have extra security extensions AND run everything through Mailwasher first, yet Google regularly claim it is not as secure as their crappy webmail interfarce.

If they try to force me to use the webmail interfarce, they will lose a customer dating back to prehistoric times.

In laws use thunderbird just fine, so must be one of the extensions causing it to flag as insecure

• Administrators

They've been with yahoo for many years. They're moving away from Yahoo and doing it themselves.

Are you using imap or pop yahoo settings, and are these the BT yahoo settings or just yahoo (again different).

Are you definitely on BT yahoo mail still? If you log into their webmail you'll be able to identify which mail you're using

All iMAP and BT Mail. It's an issue their end, but I hardly check webmail due to using my Outlook now so I won't be facing any more issues.

BT changed some time ago from BT yahoo.com to BT Internet.com ,I got a new computer with Windows 10 a few months ago and was surprised that when you received an email and opened it there was nothing there,and in fact it was already a known problem that had to be rectified it appears that Microsoft release their OS with bugs included and I think I should have gone for the Apple Mac along with the iPads and iPhones they are just so easy to use and they work so well,yes they are a bit more expensive but are so much more quicker.

BT changed some time ago from BT yahoo.com to BT Internet.com ,I got a new computer with Windows 10 a few months ago and was surprised that when you received an email and opened it there was nothing there,and in fact it was already a known problem that had to be rectified it appears that Microsoft release their OS with bugs included and I think I should have gone for the Apple Mac along with the iPads and iPhones they are just so easy to use and they work so well,yes they are a bit more expensive but are so much more quicker.

This isnt just a Win10 bug (oh god! defending 10!!), my sister had this issue with SENDING emails earlier this year - apparently a bug/file corruption in AVAST was causing the issue; so this might be someone sending you blank emails, not a Win10 bug.

Gentle giant

"This isnt just a Win10 bug (oh god! defending 10!!), my sister had this issue with SENDING emails earlier this year - apparently a bug/file corruption in AVAST was causing the issue; so this might be someone sending you blank emails, not a Win10 bug."

Gg. No this bug is all down to Windows 10,I was able to open all the emails on the iPad/iPhone ok and realised it was a Windows problem so did a quick google and found it was a known Windows 10 problem,I'm not that clever with computers messing around with programs,installs etc ,I just want a system that works well and that is why I like apple.I also use Xbox (Microsoft I know) and a Sony PlayStation which I have never had a problem with but a friend who buys the same games for the pc version is only able to finish half of then because of glitches with the pc games ,so these cheaper versions on pc turn out to be worthless.

Edited by Sad555

Gentle giant

"This isnt just a Win10 bug (oh god! defending 10!!), my sister had this issue with SENDING emails earlier this year - apparently a bug/file corruption in AVAST was causing the issue; so this might be someone sending you blank emails, not a Win10 bug."

Gg. No this bug is all down to Windows 10,I was able to open all the emails on the iPad/iPhone ok and realised it was a Windows problem so did a quick google and found it was a known Windows 10 problem,I'm not that clever with computers messing around with programs,installs etc ,I just want a system that works well and that is why I like apple.I also use Xbox (Microsoft I know) and a Sony PlayStation which I have never had a problem with but a friend who buys the same games for the pc version is only able to finish half of then because of glitches with the pc games ,so these cheaper versions on pc turn out to be worthless.

Ok, just wanted to double check; also in the news today, Micro$hit announced they have JUST STARTED checking to code for the new Anniversary release; since it is due out in mere weeks, I am guessing it will make the original Win10 release look like a mature release (zeta release anyone??)

• Like 1

So ,it could be a clever way of getting folks who got a free download of W10 to cough up for a working, relatively bug free version ?

GEE-thanks MS ( SOUNDS LIKE SOME DISEASE?) but I'll stay with my ancient W7 , and I'll be able to keep on using all my old hardware , some of which won't work on your new crappy OS. I'll also be able to decide on what updates and when I WANT TO DOWNLOAD THEM .

• 3 weeks later...

As Lee posted above, all can be disabled.

Your files aren't being read.

Latest news, for Pro users, in the new version you WONT be able to turn it off; not only that, but you cannot stop M$ from installing whatever they want onto your device.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/29/windows_10_pro_anniversary_update_tweaked_to_stop_users_disabling_cloud_ads/

I have been on Win 10 for over 1.5 years now, the only issues I had was when on the testing cct, and you sign up to this at your own risk. The new version out on 2nd Aug looks good to me and has added/removed parts that people have asked for. I work within the government with windows, android and iOS and the most insecure is iOS, dont get me wrong iOS is great if you are in the home environment and are happy that anyone using the same apple ID can see everything you do (this seems to be the norm with a family sharing a common ID) Please also note that if you are not on iOS 9.3.3  (at the moment) you are vunerable to a very serious exploit. I think all OSes have their issues and if you are happy to be dictated what you can do with your device and keep it on the latest version Apple is for you. I am quite happy with Win 10 on my laptop and Android on my phone with the relevant security addons and kept up to date. Just my view, other systems may suit others better. But if you bring a BYOD device that is Apple on my network it had better have an individual ID and be at the latest OS version :-)

John

Looks like it might be getting worse not better

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/29/windows_10_pro_anniversary_update_tweaked_to_stop_users_disabling_cloud_ads/

MS going to force install bloatware and stop you from being able to opt out. I do wonder if anyone's PC crashes due to this they could take MS to court under the Computer Misuse act.

Looks like it might be getting worse not better

MS going to force install bloatware and stop you from being able to opt out. I do wonder if anyone's PC crashes due to this they could take MS to court under the Computer Misuse act.

Didnt I just say that?? (#141)

Win10 keyboard switching languages on me....

Go to Control Panel -> Languages...

Install UK English (download and install).

Make it the primary language.

Log off and back on.

Delete US English!

NOW it works OK.