Vari Service

Basically I bought my Vrs from a non-Skoda dealer.  I'm coming up on 20,000 miles with 2 stamps in the service book, I reckon that i will be due a service in the next 6 months.

My question is with vari serice (which I assume i have) can a dealer reset the computer?  Im pretty sure that this is fairly simple so my question to the Skoda dealer service guys was, can the car tell me when the service light was last reset or how long there is until the next service?

I tried a couple of places and got various versions of "Umm i dont think so" to "im pretty sure we can...I've just checked and we are almost certain theres no way." 

Given what i have read on here about the standard of Skoda dealer service (which i am discovering) i thought i would ask if anybody on here had a definitive answer.

Just to reiterate (as it genuinely took 15 mins for one guy to figure out what i even wanted).

Is there any way to check the car itself for an indicator of when the service light was last reset and/or how long the computer expects till the next service?

Thanks, for clarity 63 Plate Octavia Vrs Estate

Cheers

Yes, there is an option in the settings that shows you how long it is until the next service. I don't think it says when it was last serviced. If no one beats me to it, I'll check tonight and write up where it is.

Yes, a dealer can reset the service interval, and change the schedule (variable or fixed).

• Like 1

Had mine serviced yesterday and they changed mine from variable to fixed no stamps everything is on the database so I just put the work sheet in my service folio for when I eventually sell to prove full service history

I got my petrol vrs set to variable as I ate through my first 3 services in just over a year, my original dealer I bought the car from said it wasn't possible, changed dealer and said it wasn't an issue so it's now 20k variable, they said if I do a lot of short journeys the computer will shorten the time/mileage to service which was nice to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's got 2 stamps and 20k miles, its on annual or 10k servicing.

No I dont think the car says when it was reset, only when its next due, in the car menu.

Unless the first stamp is the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

If the first stamp is at 10,000 miles and the second at 20,000 miles then you are as above on fixed intervals (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first).

As the car is owned and assuming your annual mileage is around the 10K mark you are better off sticking to the fixed intervals.

Variable is for high motorway mileage and fleet managers to keep servicing costs low. The engine oil is the lifeblood of the engine and turbo so it makes sense to change it at least once a year.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses everybody.

As i suspected i should have just asked here in the first place.

Between the salesman i spoke to before i bought the car (somewhere else) and now the service guys im beginning to see what people mean about the product knowledge at the Skoda stealerships.  :-)

Anybody have recommendations for service in the South East?

• Like 1

Variable is 730 days or 18700 miles whichever comes first. 18700 miles equates to 30000 km. The distance / time to next service can be viewed in the following infotainment menu from memory: CAR>>Setup>>Service.

However, a word of caution - of the 4 main dealer services (all variable) only one has been reset correctly to correct time / mileage (Bristol Street Motors, Darlington top of the class!).

If you want to see miles / time since last service this can be viewed via VCDS (note - distances in km to nearest 100 km). I only found this out recently after a nameless Seat dealer failed to reset properly on 2 occasions so managed to do it myself in under 10 mins.

Thanks for the responses everybody.

As i suspected i should have just asked here in the first place.

Between the salesman i spoke to before i bought the car (somewhere else) and now the service guys im beginning to see what people mean about the product knowledge at the Skoda stealerships. :-)

Anybody have recommendations for service in the South East?

Have you tried Beadles in Aylesford.

My experience of variable servicing from the Skoda dealers is er, variable. None of them have a clue what needs doing when or importantly at what price. They just pull figures out their ass. My car won't see a Skoda dealer for a service again.

Edited by Stuski

I find it quite comical how they dress up a service these days.

Cutting through the fluffy marketing all that is ever replaced consists of:

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Pollen Filter

Fuel Filter (diesel)

Spark Plugs (petrol)

And that is it! In fact on all minor services and most major services you quite often only get the first two items. If the remainder aren't due (normally at least 3 years or 60,000 miles) then it won't get changed.

Brake fluid is on the cars third birthday and then every two years.

Cambelts are all now in excess of 100,000 miles and/or 5 years.

To think some people are paying £259 for £20 worth of oil, a £4 oil filter and 30 minutes of labour is quite scary.

A jet wash, coffee machine, wifi router, rubber stamp, big glass windows and a dolly bird on reception must cost a bloody fortune!

Edited by silver1011

A jet wash, coffee machine, wifi router, rubber stamp, big glass windows and a dolly bird on reception must cost a bloody fortune!

Strange, I've always found dolly birds cost a bloody fortune but, I'm not sure I'd want a cheap one

Regards

T

• Like 1