Wiper Blades

Thanks chaps,

I noticed both Valeo and Bosch on internet sites, Valeo seem like very good value, but would I be right in thinking Bosch were the OEM?

Alan

I stuck some Lidl aero wipers for about €12 on last summer to see how they'd do an they're still running pretty well now. They skip slightly but are still effective over 70 mph, but everything else performance wise is the same as the Bosch ones I had on before. I tried Trico wipers on a previous car and they were awful, lots of skipping in the wind and even from new they weren't wiping as clean as the 'worn out' Bosch wipers they replaced.

• Like 1

I always use Bosch aero as I do a lot of motorway driving at all hours of the day. Always last a long time and without juddering or smearing.

• Like 4

I always use Bosch aero as I do a lot of motorway driving at all hours of the day. Always last a long time and without juddering or smearing.

I agree, definitely worth spending that bit extra as I view them as a safety item like tyres and brakes.  The Bosch Aero do last longer too.

• Like 1

Many thanks chaps,

I thought the OEM was probably Bosch, and the price difference is not much so I'll order some rather than have the dealer fit them (I think the quoted cost was about £70!).

Alan

Slightly OT but does anyone know the code for the rear blade on the estate/Kombi by chance, please? 

I can't seem to find it anywhere (numptie mode on possibly...).

Ta

Dave

Slightly OT but does anyone know the code for the rear blade on the estate/Kombi by chance, please? 

I can't seem to find it anywhere (numptie mode on possibly...).

Ta

Dave

Bosch A403H (purchased and installed on my 2010 combi)

400mm 16" A403H

Edited by williamshatnerspants

AND - if you sign up on Eurocarparts and/or GSF - you get 40%+  discount codes most weekends - two weeks ago I got 43% discount, nice !

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I ordered some Bosch wiper blades online and paid £17 delivered. Fitting took about 30 seconds per side and they work perfectly. The supplying dealer had quoted £66 to supply and fit new wiper blades, which is I suppose about £50 labour for one minute's work or £3000/hour; nice work if you can get it.

I will not be using the dealer again.

I ordered some Bosch wiper blades online and paid £17 delivered. Fitting took about 30 seconds per side and they work perfectly. The supplying dealer had quoted £66 to supply and fit new wiper blades, which is I suppose about £50 labour for one minute's work or £3000/hour; nice work if you can get it.

I will not be using the dealer again.

It's not though is it.

Your paying for the fact that someone has to sit there and book it in, purchase the parts (or replenish the stock), bring the car round, go to stores to get, fill in paperwork, fit the blades, take car back round, create invoice and finally talk to you.

They then have business rates, tax, NI, insurance, wages, rent, bank charges etc to pay.

I'm not saying it's a lot of money but there is far more to it than just fitting blades. Dealers aren't charities and with margins on new cars getting squeezed by internet brokers; its no wonder they try and get money from other revenue streams.

I don't work in the motor industry or anything associated with it but sometimes dealers come in for a rough ride, and people don't think why it might be like that.

It's not though is it.

Your paying for the fact that someone has to sit there and book it in, purchase the parts (or replenish the stock), bring the car round, go to stores to get, fill in paperwork, fit the blades, take car back round, create invoice and finally talk to you.

They then have business rates, tax, NI, insurance, wages, rent, bank charges etc to pay.

I'm not saying it's a lot of money but there is far more to it than just fitting blades. Dealers aren't charities and with margins on new cars getting squeezed by internet brokers; its no wonder they try and get money from other revenue streams.

I don't work in the motor industry or anything associated with it but sometimes dealers come in for a rough ride, and people don't think why it might be like that.

We will have to agree to disagree.

The difference between the best price I could find for Bosch wipers (Including shipping to me in Ireland) and letting the garage fit them during a service was less than €10 the last time the wipers were replaced. For that much I figured it literally wasn't worth my time to go and order them myself. 

• Like 1

I just got the original Skoda ones from Superskoda and fitted them myself in 5 minutes.

Like psycholist says, shipping any Bosh ones to me in Ireland became expensive - Superskoda worked out last time because the wipers were cheap - €28 and the shipping wasn't bad. 

Which bit do you disagree with. Genuine question as curious to your views

... that it is reasonable to charge £66 for an item which retails for £17 (delivered and including tax) and requires no special tools or expertise to fit. The company I bought the wiper blades from had to do all the things you suggest - except fit the parts - and so would have had similar costs. The dealer was just proposing to charge me £50 for a few minutes of unskilled work. In my case it did not matter, I knew that £66 was a ridiculous cost for some wiper blades, but I wonder how many vulnerable people have been caught out by the same trick (I suspect the number is quite considerable).

So, there we differ: I think the practice is unreasonable, you do not. That is all :-)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Quick bump - can someone just confirm that in Bosch speak it's the AP24U and AP18U for Aerotwin fronts?

I trust the wipers but am buggered if I can ever find a compatibility chart on their website when time comes to order new ones.

**ETA: I've got an AP24U knocking around from a previous car, it looks like the right fit. But I've put the wrong adapter on it and I'm struggling to work out how it comes off. Bonus points for anyone who can tell me how to remove the clip/adapter whilst I'm going through Youtube etc...

Edited by tenohfive