Octavia III Amundsen MIB2 woes

Hi ...

My first post ...

Is anybody experiencing Amundsen restart problems like I describe below?

This is happening to me each morning on the way to work - but, strangely, never on the way home from work.

In the morning, the infotainment system will restart (like a cold restart) two, three, four, maybe even five times on an hour long journey to work. It forgets the route programmed into the satnav system - though it remembers it was the most recent route. The screen goes blank, then the Skoda logo shows, then the unit says 'checking navigation data' (and on the maxidot it says starting navigation). The radio or media that is playing also stops and then restarts.

The local dealer is saying that Skoda do not have a fix for this problem and that I'm only the second person to have reported this.

btw... I have an Octavia SE L 1.4 TSI 150PS DSG estate with a few extras - Apple carplay, smartgate, heated front seats and adaptive cruise control.

I can make some (negative) comments about carplay and smartgate (or rather the apps) but that is better done in another thread if anyone is interested.

Sorry to hear of your problems and I can't help as mine hasn't even arrived yet but I would be interested in hearing your opinion of Smartlink (Apple car play) as I've just added this to my order

but I would be interested in hearing your opinion of Smartlink (Apple car play) as I've just added this to my order 

Car play works. Obviously Siri needs 3G or better to be useful - so, if you live out in the notspots of this country, like me, then it may not read your texts to you or do anything else useful!.

The music playing is better than bluetooth. The quality is better - it does not suffer from momentary cut-outs like bluetooth seems to (there are posts about this on the forum) and the sound level is better. When I first got the car, the car play connection kept disconnecting and reconnecting, but it has not done this for some time - so I think an IOS update probably fixed that (btw I have an iPhone5 running the latest IOS)

Major pain in the rear end, if you switch to the satnav, or traffic, or car displays - there is no easy way to get back to the car play screen. satnav and car displays show a media screen button to touch, but all they do is tell you you are on car play, they don't take you back to it. So, you have to use the menu and the rotary control to find it again - not good when you are driving. I am learning to remember the number of clicks to twist through to get back to car play so I do not take my eyes off the road!

Not many apps support car play. If you want to use Waze or Google maps - forget it! Apple maps work though!

In the morning, the infotainment system will restart (like a cold restart) two, three, four, maybe even five times on an hour long journey to work. It forgets the route programmed into the satnav system - though it remembers it was the most recent route. The screen goes blank, then the Skoda logo shows, then the unit says 'checking navigation data' (and on the maxidot it says starting navigation). The radio or media that is playing also stops and then restarts.

The local dealer is saying that Skoda do not have a fix for this problem and that I'm only the second person to have reported this.

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

Sounds more like a general connection problem at the rear of the unit or in the wiring loom. Loss of power or ground connection?

I've an Octavia with MIB1 Amundsen....more recently also had two Golf GTD's....first with MIB1 Bolero equivalent, the next one with MIB2 Amundsen equivalent.

The Octavia plays up v v occasionally....it's pretty rock solid to be fair. Can't remember the last time it played up on me. The first non Nav golf was solid as a rock....the MIB2...great when it worked but was flakey by comparison.

Sometimes would come on with no sound until powered off and on again....Sometimes would come on with a blank screen...it had a firmware update v early on to try to resolve the issues..made it a lot better but still played up perhaps once per week....and usually if it had been cold overnight.

Sounds more like there is probably something wrong with your main unit or the wiring though....firmware update might fix it but sounds like it probably needs replacing under warranty.

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

Sounds more like a general connection problem at the rear of the unit or in the wiring loom. Loss of power or ground connection?

Thanks for the welcome. :-)

I thought it might have been a connection problem - perhaps cold/damp after sitting on drive all night, but then, I would have expected it to occur later in the day as well, especially on cold wet days.

The dealer says they have checked all the connections!

It could be anything I suppose - firmware problem where a watchdog timer in one of the modules is expiring and commanding a  cold start of the infotainment system. A physical problem with one of the PCBs in one of the modules - perhaps a hairline crack in a track or poor soldering on a component. The possibilities are endless!

The dealer won't start swapping modules as Skoda won't authorise it, so I'm told.

but I would be interested in hearing your opinion of Smartlink (Apple car play) as I've just added this to my order 

Car play works. Obviously Siri needs 3G or better to be useful - so, if you live out in the notspots of this country, like me, then it may not read your texts to you or do anything else useful!.

The music playing is better than bluetooth. The quality is better - it does not suffer from momentary cut-outs like bluetooth seems to (there are posts about this on the forum) and the sound level is better. When I first got the car, the car play connection kept disconnecting and reconnecting, but it has not done this for some time - so I think an IOS update probably fixed that (btw I have an iPhone5 running the latest IOS)

Major pain in the rear end, if you switch to the satnav, or traffic, or car displays - there is no easy way to get back to the car play screen. satnav and car displays show a media screen button to touch, but all they do is tell you you are on car play, they don't take you back to it. So, you have to use the menu and the rotary control to find it again - not good when you are driving. I am learning to remember the number of clicks to twist through to get back to car play so I do not take my eyes off the road!

Not many apps support car play. If you want to use Waze or Google maps - forget it! Apple maps work though!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

My amudsen works ok for me.

Not sure how old your car is, I guess no more than a month. Maybe just a software update or refresh needs and your problem is solved.

I have a solution for your backside problem :) If you come out from CarPlay just press the phone button and at the bottom left corner, touch CarPlay and you are back again  :nerd:

Wait - what - its a new car? 

Reject it unless they can rectify all faults. 

Jeez - new member on here with faulty new car and the dealer won't help!! 

Edited by TDIum

Wait - what - its a new car? 

Reject it unless they can rectify all faults. 

Jeez - new member on here with faulty new car and the dealer won't help!! 

I took delivery of the car in November and the Amundsen started playing up like this in February. I'll give them another couple of weeks to hear back from Skoda, then I'll start pushing. In the meantime, I've been writing down a timeline of how this problem is being handled.

There are some design issues with the Amundsen as well - not sure how to feed these back to Skoda.

1. If I don't use CarPlay but use Bluetooth, each time I connect, or choose a new track to play, the repeat play function is turned on on the phone. Really annoying!

2. No easy, driver friendly way, of going back to CarPlay from navigation or car - an earlier post has suggested a work around, which I've tried, but it is really not great. The stupid thing is, that there is a media icon on the screen in both navigation and car, and when pressed pops up what looks like an invitation to go back to CarPlay, but when touched, does nothing. How irritating could they make it?

3. The most annoying problem is the TP traffic announcements - the volume used for these is based on the current volume setting of what is being listened to, rather than the announce volume in the sounds settings. If you are listening to something quiet, so have the volume turned up, if you get a traffic announcement, it can be really loud. It won't be long until I turn TP off - which would be a shame, as it's really useful. Why can't the unit just honour the announce setting made in the sounds setting. It's not as if it has to talk over what is being listened to. Each time I get deafened by it, I get more annoyed! I could rant and rant - but I think you all get the drift! ;-)

I've told the dealer about the above shortcomings - in writing - but not sure if they'll get fed back up the chain.

Apart from these problems, the basic car is really good - be nice to know how to get rid of the dash reflections on the windscreen though!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

My amudsen works ok for me.

Not sure how old your car is, I guess no more than a month. Maybe just a software update or refresh needs and your problem is solved.

I have a solution for your backside problem :) If you come out from CarPlay just press the phone button and at the bottom left corner, touch CarPlay and you are back again  :nerd:

I've found that work around, but, when I'm concentrating on driving - I just want the thing to work without me thinking of work-arounds - at least pressing the menu button and twiddling the knob can be done in small instalments - if I can't remember the twist-count required! It really should work properly.

I've found that work around, but, when I'm concentrating on driving - I just want the thing to work without me thinking of work-arounds - at least pressing the menu button and twiddling the knob can be done in small instalments - if I can't remember the twist-count required! It really should work properly.

What about the voice control? I haven't personally tried yet but I will. Also I`m not sure if this works or not but you could use the scroll thingy on the steering wheel and see if CarPlay comes up on the maxidot screen while you scroll up or down?

• 2 months later...

Have a you found a solution yet? I seem to have the same problems with my Admundson satnav in my 2016 Octavia SEL 1.4 tsi. Route guidance first freezes, then eventually the system restarts and no route guidance anymore. The system occasionally restarts without using the satnav. Overall, a very frustrating issue. 

Hi

I'm coming to this a bit late.

I took delivery of a new Octavia SE-L 150 tdi DSG estate in late March of this year.

After a couple of months I started to experience the dreaded 'start-up' issue, where my Amundsen unit would often take several minutes to start, and then switch on and off a couple of times before starting fully.

The issue was recorded on my iPhone and I took the car in to the supplying dealer.

They looked at the car but could find no fault (no fault codes etc also)

I emailed the footage (needing to use DropBox as the footage was too large for them to receive by usual email transmission...)

The cars unit then failed again, and the dealer took the car in and fitted a new unti.

Which worked fine...until later that day, when the issue started again.

Thre car has been returned for the third time (3 days ago) and although the unit failed once whilst with them this time, it apparantly hadn't failed since....

Now, the service reception staff are fantastic, and I can't fault them, but for a new car to have an ongoing issue isn't acceptable.

I love the car, and it does everything I need, but I also need sat nav, and if it fails whilst I'm in France on holiday next month, I'll be lost.

Is there any fix available other than fitting another unit?

I'm getting t the point where I'm going to request the car is rejected, as I chose it partially for the inbuilt nav....

• 1 month later...