Bolero Vs Amundsen

I got my mk3 at launch, I got the Amundsen, and from what I can remember Sat Nav is about the only difference. On the Yeti I have ordered I just added the Smartlink to use the maps from my iPhone. 

Yes, the Sat Nav is the only difference.  Both have radio, usb/aux sockets and SD card slot, Bluetooth phone link.  They are so similar that they share the same owner's manual.  A pdf of the manual can be downloaded from the Skoda website if you want more information.

I think the Amundsen Sat Nav is quite good - it has voice control, spoken street names and road numbers, dynamic routing round traffic hold-ups, ability to manually enter roadblocks, full postcode entry and latitude/longitude entry.  I find it a lot more convenient than a separate system, but that's my preference.

Whether it's worth the price demanded is another question.  On the SE L it came as standard equipment.  I'm not sure I would have paid extra for it.

A personal view is keep the TomTom. I have both, the Amundsen was part of the standard spec, and I don't use the it the Amundsen all.

The real time info is always poor and late compared to the TomTom.

Also, It does have speed camera warnings.

I use the Sat Nav in the Amundsen all the time. It's kind of OK - not as good as my old TomTom but it's convenient not to have to stick things on the screen. It always gets me there, but then so did TomTom, and the rest is just fluff to me. I like having it integrated, but how much are you prepared to pay for it? Google Maps on your phone probably does it pretty well...

• 2 years later...

I have Amundsen, but I tend to use Waze (I've a good data package) - the traffic info is more up to date, as well as the speed limits and "safety" cameras - the actual graphics do look like they came out of a children's colouring book and the alerts can be a tad startling! 

1 hour ago, lway said:

So I can get Smartlink added to my Bolero and then use Android Auto ?

Edit: just to add it's MIB1 (2015 Octavia)

Not without changing the radio. Needs to be a MIB2 radio to get SmartLink, it can’t be done on the MIB1.

• Thanks 1