Oil dipstick

Hi, guys! I've got a MY2016 Octavia Estate 1,8 TSI and today, for the first time, I've checked my oil level. The first surprising thing was that the dipstick did not come out easily (as in my 1,9 TDI Octavia II) but rather as if it had some friction against the shaft wall. Secondly, right before the last portion of the dipstick (where you do the level reading), it has a twist; the twist is along the axis, so altogether it remains straight but I do wonder if there isn't anything wrong with it. Are your cars the same? Thanks!

Checked my oil level last week just done 1000miles (it's a VRS TDi) - dipstick bottom end completely different to the photos above but I noticed it does have a clip at the top below the loop which means it does not come straight out and you have to pinch the clip to withdraw it.

Yep, that's what it should look like

Well not all. The one on my car is completely straight with no twist in it nor does it have a clip at the top as mentioned by blackbart. Just pushes into dipstick hole. Looks like Skoda put whatever type they have laying about the factory!!

Well not all. The one on my car is completely straight with no twist in it nor does it have a clip at the top as mentioned by blackbart. Just pushes into dipstick hole. Looks like Skoda put whatever type they have laying about the factory!!

Mine is also somewhat different but i assumed, in my case at least, it's because it's a diesel/petrol variation?

The one I've got is identical to the one in a 2011 Yeti i had.  It looks nothing like the one shown.

Maybe they changed supplier during the manufacturing years. This model is 3 years running now so maybe the dipstick has changed over the years, Or, it's just a difference between petrol and diesel engines.

The Dipstick is different in the Diesel compared with the petrol.

In a Diesel it is far more important to make sure you do not over fill.

But I do agree the dipstick does not slide out as easy as some of the previous cars I've owned (non-skoda's)

My petrol VRS has the plastic bottomed dipstick

Sounds like they just use what ever they have, unless it's MY dependant. My TDI is a 16 and I think my Petrol was a 14

Sounds like they just use what ever they have, unless it's MY dependant. My TDI is a 16 and I think my Petrol was a 14

My petrol is a my14 one... Must just use whatever they have. Mine was changed at its first service as it came back with someone else's in it that was shorter and had a different style pull toggle but both had the plastic end.

• 11 months later...

On the bright side, in the year since I started this post I have clocked 15000 km and so far I never needed to top up the oil. So it may be badly designed but at least doesn't need using all that often.

• Like 1

When I checked the level yesterday, the oil was smeared over one side only. Fortunately one side could be read and the level was ok.