1.4 tsi Engine squeal

Bloody typical!! The sodding thing was quiet as a mouse today (dealer day). I've been told to video it if I am out and about or stop by with the car running.

I had a old 730i once that used to pull this stunt on me. It would squeal frequently, flash the alt/battery light,  but always behave on dealer day.

Then a master tech told me the squeal "might be in your head because it doesn't happen for us". Well, in truth, there was one voice in my head telling me to microwave various samples of his sweet-meats but there was no squealing going on in there. Just some silence from the lambs.

Well, 10 mins later, after high speed hard/sharp turns in their customer car park with the master techs head out the window squealing like a piggie being barbecued live, he heard it just fine. 

(Was an accessory/pully belt that wasn't tensioned properly, so in the damp under load when turning hard - it squealed/slipped. I didn't pay for the fix).

Had a quick word with the mechanic regarding  the additive , It was suggested by Skoda (tech helpline for the mechanics)

unfortunately he didn't notice any markings on the bottle , but said it had a Skoda part number

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Realise this is an old thread , did anyone ever get any answers to this ? ... my squeal is back

Edited by Dr Bob
spelling mistake

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Update : Just found out the additive used was a coolant cleaning agent (  part no. G 052 188 A3  )

Anybody used this, or shed any light ?

Woa, that stuff is for cleaning the cooling system after an oil cooler leak causing oil contamination in the cooling system, not to be used as an additive, like a fuel additive,  they usually flush the system three times with this stuff, its nasty, I used it on my Allroad after the system was contaminated, cleaned the oil sludge out of it a treat, but you need to flush it out with clean water a few times to get rid of it afterward then fill with G13 (or GA13 in the case of Audi) and mixing water. I wouldn't use it as an additive. 

Is it possible technical help advised your garage to flush the cooling system with it rather than using it as an additive?

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, 3T51704x4 said:

Woa, that stuff is for cleaning the cooling system after an oil cooler leak causing oil contamination in the cooling system, not to be used as an additive, like a fuel additive,  they usually flush the system three times with this stuff, its nasty, I used it on my Allroad after the system was contaminated, cleaned the oil sludge out of it a treat, but you need to flush it out with clean water a few times to get rid of it afterward then fill with G13 (or GA13 in the case of Audi) and mixing water. I wouldn't use it as an additive. 

Is it possible technical help advised your garage to flush the cooling system with it rather than using it as an additive?

Hi , Thanks for the info.

This is something I was hoping to find out about from the Skoda garage who originally carried out the procedure (will call tomorrow)

I cant understand why a car that was only 2.5 years old at the time with less than 15000 miles would need this treatment.

I had the engine flushed (water) + new coolant added 3 weeks ago but still squealing

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Like 1

Could be a number of things ranging from bearing manufacturing issue to water pump housing problem. Something left over from engine manufacture which has been dislodged over time or corrosion of the bearings due to coolant additives, who knows, the dealer prob doesn't even know.

• Like 1

My late father mentioned he had a Riley 1.5 as a company car that had a noisy water pump - he said they finally fixed it with a small amount of brake fluid in the coolant. Probably ye olde snake oil.

My Superb 1.4tsi now over 75k miles and has no sign of any such noise. There was a slight noise once that vanished after an aircon service !

I myself still like this engine , reasonable power and economy has remained great as the years/miles advance (48mpg today Cheltenham to East Yorkshire).

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 11:22, 3T51704x4 said:

On 23/06/2019 at 11:41, Dr Bob said:

Hi , Thanks for the info.

This is something I was hoping to find out about from the Skoda garage who originally carried out the procedure (will call tomorrow)

I cant understand why a car that was only 2.5 years old at the time with less than 15000 miles would need this treatment.

I had the engine flushed (water) + new coolant added 3 weeks ago but still squealing

On 23/06/2019 at 11:50, 3T51704x4 said:

Could be a number of things ranging from bearing manufacturing issue to water pump housing problem. Something left over from engine manufacture which has been dislodged over time or corrosion of the bearings due to coolant additives, who knows, the dealer prob doesn't even know.

23 hours ago, bigjohn said:

My late father mentioned he had a Riley 1.5 as a company car that had a noisy water pump - he said they finally fixed it with a small amount of brake fluid in the coolant. Probably ye olde snake oil.

My Superb 1.4tsi now over 75k miles and has no sign of any such noise. There was a slight noise once that vanished after an aircon service !

I myself still like this engine , reasonable power and economy has remained great as the years/miles advance (48mpg today Cheltenham to East Yorkshire).

Thanks for the replies !

Contacted the garage today , 3T51704x4 , you are correct , it is engine flush , not an additive , and I dont think they have an explanation as to why its needed or works?

bigjohn , (apart from my annoying squeal ) I agree , its a great engine !

Debating whether just to live with it , or get it flushed again with part no. G 052 188 A3

Edited by Dr Bob

22 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Debating whether just to live with it , or get it flushed again with part no. G 052 188 A3

Can I presume the noise remains the same with aircon on and aircon off?

How about a new water pump? - it is run by an aux belt and NOT via the timing chain.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Can I presume the noise remains the same with aircon on and aircon off?

How about a new water pump? - it is run by an aux belt and NOT via the timing chain.

I did check that at the time and it made no difference .

The water pump was changed (under warranty) and the noise disappeared for a couple of months

When it returned ,  Skoda Uk advised the flush which cleared it  .... till now

Just puzzled why a car initially with  less than 15k , and now at 35k , needs to have its coolant system flushed, and what its doing to get rid of the whistle noise.

Ps.  Will check air con again tomorrow just to see ??

18 hours ago, 3T51704x4 said:

Sounds like the pump is the source of the noise, prob manufacturing tolerances  causing it. Bad batch? Bearings being corroded by the coolant?

Could be , the only sure way to find out would be to replace the pump ... again

Might just live with it atm , see if it gets worse,  ie not just at idle

Tried with air con running today , no difference

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.

I've experienced this issue today.

I've done some searching around.

Found on a German forum mention of a TPI on a French site about this issue.

It seems it's related to the coolant used.

The TPI mentions G12++ being used as being the cause. The cleaning solution linked above should then be used to clean out the system, drain it, and refill with G(A)13 coolant.

9 hours ago, Phil-E said:

The TPI mentions G12++ being used as being the cause. The cleaning solution linked above should then be used to clean out the system, drain it, and refill with G(A)13 coolant.

That's really interesting - the G13 Coolant is supposed to be better for aluminium components. I wonder if there is some sort of reaction going on with G12++. Saying that mine is fine with 86k miles on the clock - unless they changed the coolant a bit with the facelift model or revised the waterpump. Still says G12 on the expansion tank though.

I've seen that G13 was released in 2012. So it's possible not all cars after 2012 were immediately filled with G13.

Mine is a late 2012 built 2013 MY car. So quite possible it had G12 in still.

I'll have a go at changing it since it won't hurt and it's probably got the original coolant still in (111000km).

Mine is a 2014 with probably one of the later EA111 engines- still says G12 on the expansion bottle though - don't know what is actually in it though!

It'll be interesting to see if G13 helps.

Edited by bigjohn

Think I'll first go back to the garage we bought it from as we have warranty.

I can tell them what I've found out and see if they want to just try changing the coolant first.