1.6 TDI or Greenline 1.6 TDI - Opinions, experience, MPG

I'm about to order my car and am torn between the regular 1.6 TDI and the GreenLine 1.6 TDI.

The way my company car policy payments are calculated, by the time I've taken in to account the fuel economy increase of the more expensive GreenLine, they work out about the same cost, so ultimately the way they drive will be the deciding factor. I'm not going to get the chance to drive one before my order has to be placed, so I could do with some feedback from owners of 6 speed manual Superbs in normal or GL spec.

Thanks in advance.

Not driven one and actually considered the greenline myself, but was put off by reports that it was a bit sluggish and slightly lacking in power. I was a private buyer so a bit different, but given the fairly small difference in economy/tax and the extra £1500ish for the GL, I decided I might as well get the 2.0 and the significant extra power (I'm buying SE L Exec so couldn't get a smaller engine anyway, apart from GL).

Not driven one and actually considered the greenline myself, but was put off by reports that it was a bit sluggish and slightly lacking in power. I was a private buyer so a bit different, but given the fairly small difference in economy/tax and the extra £1500ish for the GL, I decided I might as well get the 2.0 and the significant extra power (I'm buying SE L Exec so couldn't get a smaller engine anyway, apart from GL).

I drive at 60mph on the motorway and seldom go about 2,000 rpm in any gear, so performance is totally wasted on me - my hobby scratches that particular itch.

The performance figures are almost identical, so it was more about feel that I was interested and if there's a big difference between the two?

Doesn't really answer your question but I went for the non GL 1.6TDI so I could get DSG, I am over the moon with it for a mile muncher, you get far more out of the ACC if combined with DSG box, I'm getting about 52 mpg according to the readout.

Had my 1.6tdi SE Dsg since Dec and it now has 4300 miles on the clock.using ACC on my commute to work (32 miles each way )I am getting around 55mpg .I too was concerned about the performance against the 2.0 but feel that the way I drive now does not really merit the extra power and cost ,not interested in breaking the speed limit now and enjoy the relaxed drive of DSG.

It's the company car tax that is different.

For the hatch and estate: -

1.6 - 21% BIK

1.6 GL - 19% BIK

They lease it to me personally so I don't pay company car tax, the payments between the two once fuel economy is factored is the same so it's about the drive rather than cost in my case.

Had my 1.6tdi SE Dsg since Dec and it now has 4300 miles on the clock.using ACC on my commute to work (32 miles each way )I am getting around 55mpg .I too was concerned about the performance against the 2.0 but feel that the way I drive now does not really merit the extra power and cost ,not interested in breaking the speed limit now and enjoy the relaxed drive of DSG.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I couldn't find any press reports on the green line, so had a look for reports on the Bluemotion Passat which is mechanically almost identical and they all said that the long gearing made it hard work round town where you were always in a lower gear than you'd be in the regular car. I can only assume it would be the same.

I think I'll stick with the regular non-GL.

If I say so myself, I'm very good at getting very close to the manufacturers claimed figures on my typical routes and use it as a challenge and something to prevent boredom on long journeys. To give you an idea, I'm currently getting 52.3 mpg out of a Q5 Quattro DSG and had 64.8mpg out of a 320d auto before that, and a couple fo weeks ago, I managed 71.2mpg from a Jaguar XE that was loaned to me (horrid car), so I'd expect to be getting 65mpg out of a non-GL 1.6 TDI.

I couldn't find any press reports on the green line, so had a look for reports on the Bluemotion Passat which is mechanically almost identical and they all said that the long gearing made it hard work round town where you were always in a lower gear than you'd be in the regular car. I can only assume it would be the same.

Sorry, that was what I was getting at when I said sluggish. I too found it difficult to find information/reviews. I guess with its delay over the other engines Skoda haven't gotten it around motoring journalists yet.

I think the Greenline has lower suspension by 15mm so a slightly harder ride than a non GL, less ground clearance as well, plus the GL uses SCR so this will need filling every few thousand miles.

Personally I'd consider the standard 1.6 but with DSG if its an option for you.

I currently have a MK2 FL Greenline which averages a true 60mpg so I would expect the new version to be better despite the extra 15HP.

Like you I have a relaxed driving style these days, quite annoying that my wife's BMW 320d auto goes like stink when you want it to, but also has better fuel economy again when driven in the same manner to my FL GL, usually doing a true average of 63mpg, and over 70mpg on a run.

It just so happens I took delivery of a 1.6 GL last week. Had a 1.5dci Nissan Qashqai before, so wasn't looking for blistering pace either. I've been on a couple of long runs to the midlands and back so can report it's a great cruiser on long journeys and quieter than I thought it would be. Things to note:

- It's a little long in the first couple of gears, but mid-range is pretty decent.

- You have to think ahead a little before overtaking, but it's perfectly capable.

I understand the suspension is lowered from the standard model to reduce drag coefficient, but the suspension doesn't seem overly firm because of this. There's also a larger gloss black rear spoiler, again, for drag reduction I'd imagine, but if anything, it gives it a sleeker look. I'll try and post pics later when I can, but let me know if you want any more details.

Due to get my GL SE Bus in a couple of weeks so following this thread closely. I'm leasing for 2 years and thought while we have 2 young kids 4 and 1 we'll get most cost effective version we can (model size and quality a given in the superb). The GL therefore is a godsend for low BIK family load lugging. Gentle cruising and local journeys are our staple right now. I have a 160bhp diesel SRI insignia atm, and very rarely get to boot it. Roll on two years when I can afford it I'll be looking out for SeL spec, big wheels and 190bhp minimum :)

Edited by cessem

It just so happens I took delivery of a 1.6 GL last week. Had a 1.5dci Nissan Qashqai before, so wasn't looking for blistering pace either. I've been on a couple of long runs to the midlands and back so can report it's a great cruiser on long journeys and quieter than I thought it would be. Things to note:

- It's a little long in the first couple of gears, but mid-range is pretty decent.

- You have to think ahead a little before overtaking, but it's perfectly capable.

I understand the suspension is lowered from the standard model to reduce drag coefficient, but the suspension doesn't seem overly firm because of this. There's also a larger gloss black rear spoiler, again, for drag reduction I'd imagine, but if anything, it gives it a sleeker look. I'll try and post pics later when I can, but let me know if you want any more details.

Thanks - it'd be nice to see some pictures.

What mpg are you seeing on the motorway?

Also, does it feel over geared round town? Are you forced to be in 3rd gear in a 30 zone for example, or will it potter comfortably in 4th at 30mph like most cars?

My previous car was a short term rental Jag XF diesel (hateful thing) which was over geared and it drove me nuts.

Thanks - it'd be nice to see some pictures.

What mpg are you seeing on the motorway?

Also, does it feel over geared round town? Are you forced to be in 3rd gear in a 30 zone for example, or will it potter comfortably in 4th at 30mph like most cars?

My previous car was a short term rental Jag XF diesel (hateful thing) which was over geared and it drove me nuts.

It's been through a crazy week of wind/snow/sleet and rain this week, so not the cleanest, but I've got some pictures to give you some idea:

Superb Greenline 6

Superb Greenline 5

Superb Greenline 4

Superb Greenline 3

Superb Greenline 2

Superb Greenline 1

I'll be heading out to Bristol tomorrow, so will try and relay some MPG figures on the motorway.

Gearing wise, you should be good for 4th around a 30, but again, I'll do a more thorough test of this tomorrow and let you know.

• Like 1

It's been through a crazy week of wind/snow/sleet and rain this week, so not the cleanest, but I've got some pictures to give you some idea:

I'll be heading out to Bristol tomorrow, so will try and relay some MPG figures on the motorway.

Gearing wise, you should be good for 4th around a 30, but again, I'll do a more thorough test of this tomorrow and let you know.

Oooh, get you with your fancy silver roof rails and xenon lights...  :cocktail:

Looks lovely.

Every time I see silver roof rails that are no longer part of the SE Business estate, it firms up my decision to go for a hatch so I don't have to look at black rails which remind me of how I can't afford a SE L.   :envy:

FML.

I look forward to your MPG report! 

The only reason I could justify the higher spec was by going for the Greenline so I pay less BIK on emissions, otherwise I'd have had the SE Business also. Should look pretty nice in a hatch version though.

Anyway, looking at the MPG, I drove pretty conservatively and within the speed limit (of course!) and for the whole journey including a fair chunk of driving on the M4, I averaged 64mpg in real world figures:

IMG 0359

This was all done in 'Normal' mode as opposed to 'Eco' or 'Sport'. Real-time stats whilst I was on the motorway were anything between 62 to upwards of 75 and obviously a lot less when pushing it up hill.

Cruised along quite nicely at 30mph in 4th gear and didn't feel laboured or low on revs, some change-down required going up hill if you need to accelerate though, but this was the case with my Qashqai before as well.

Oooh, get you with your fancy silver roof rails and xenon lights...  :cocktail:

Looks lovely.

Every time I see silver roof rails that are no longer part of the SE Business estate, it firms up my decision to go for a hatch so I don't have to look at black rails which remind me of how I can't afford a SE L.   :envy:

FML.

I look forward to your MPG report! 

The only reason I could justify the higher spec was by going for the Greenline so I pay less BIK on emissions, otherwise I'd have had the SE Business also. Should look pretty nice in a hatch version though.

Anyway, looking at the MPG, I drove pretty conservatively and within the speed limit (of course!) and for the whole journey including a fair chunk of driving on the M4, I averaged 64mpg in real world figures:

This was all done in 'Normal' mode as opposed to 'Eco' or 'Sport'. Real-time stats whilst I was on the motorway were anything between 62 to upwards of 75 and obviously a lot less when pushing it up hill.

Cruised along quite nicely at 30mph in 4th gear and didn't feel laboured or low on revs, some change-down required going up hill if you need to accelerate though, but this was the case with my Qashqai before as well.

Thanks - appreciated.

Is there anyone whom has now got the mk3 Greenline who had the mk2 GL before who can offer a comparison ?   I am still with my mk2 and having sat in mk3's it seems to correct all of the minor criticisms that I had of the mk2.     I would be particularly interested in the differences in the ride quality if anyone has compared old and new.

Hi Pesmog, I have had my MK3 Gl for about 5 weeks now had a pre facelift 2013 Mk2 GL for 3 years and a 1.9 2010 MK2 GL before that. What do you want to know?

danmooney, Thanks for the offer.  

Just two things really;

How does the ride compare with the mk2 Greenline ?

How does the mpg compare with the mk2 Greenline ?

Hi Pesmog, So far for me it feels a more smoother drive the 6th gear helps when cruising and it still picks up nicely if you need to overtake. Ignoring my signature as the average is still bedding down the MPG is

marginly better filled up at the weekend and fuelly has it at 55mpg. My commute is 26 miles on a good mix of single lane A roads and dual carriageways. Not had it on a big run yet so can't see how that effects it

hopefully that will see it at 60+mpg. The new maxidot gives you 3 options on the avg mpg which is useful, current trip, since refuel & lifetime.

danmooney, thank you.  The ride is the key one for me as my mk2 GL has only finally started to soften up a little now that it has passed 75k miles. I don't want that again with my dodgy back so need my future mk3 GL to be a bit softer.   MPG sounds good news as well, as I drive 30k plus miles a year and have to pay for my own fuel even a couple of mpg can make quite a difference. Thank you again 

Edited by Pesmog